Limited air ride suspension

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
WillIamBurnett
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 limited

Limited air ride suspension

Post by WillIamBurnett »

Hey, I have a 85 limited edition and the rear suspension is driving me crazy! :o
I just acquired it a couple of months ago and really just started riding it more due to other issues with the rectifier and some other things. So the adjustment will do auto level but will no longer even respond to increase button front or rear. The compressor will kick on but the psi really won't change and actually goes down when my wife and I are sitting on it still, not moving. Sometimes i can get it to go bbn up to say 57 or so with just me on it and itll be a decent ride but once someone else sits on it and I hit the auto level button it literally drops to 20's or 30's. I initially thought that since the bike came with the seals for the rear shock that I would have fixed the situation just by changing the seals. I have been told and have read that is not the case. Can anyone please take pity on me and share some schematics? Advice? Can you come help me? Lol seriously 😳. This might break me because I don't understand the purpose of all these parts I see on Ebay, and just need to figure out how to get the fairings and bags off to get to everything, as I'm hoping to do alot of deep cleaning/ painting and overall maintenance over the winter, and most importantly how to go about troubleshooting the system. As it is right now the compressor doesn't come on if I push the increase button and nothing happens when changing from front to rear either. I was hoping it was just some o-rings on the hose that goes into the top of the shock.

Rednaxs60
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD
1995 GL1500 SE CDN Edition
2012 Suzuki DL1000 VStrom
2008 GL1800 (sold)
Ontario 1985 GL1200 LTD (sold)

Re: Limited air ride suspension

Post by Rednaxs60 »

Sent PM. Let me know.
"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest

WillIamBurnett

Post by WillIamBurnett »

I responded, thank you.

Goldenponyboy
Motorcycle: 1985 gl1200 ltd edition

Post by Goldenponyboy »

I am sure Ernest will have helped you solve your problem. But I was wondering if using a mountain bike suspension pump would work. There are air valves at each shock. I think you could at least get it to the point that it will stay pumped up. Those pumps are not that $$$ and go to high enough pressure. Maybe borrow one from a bike shop to see if it will help. If it does then buy one from them to maintain. I had a parts bike a while ago and the compressor did not want to work but so I used a mtn bike pump and it got it raised up and rideable.

Travis

WillIamBurnett

Post by WillIamBurnett »

Thanks, I got the bike in my shed finally lol I just got it to store my bikes in and its 17" off the ground at the door. Last night I checked the pressure at the valve above the master cylinder on the right foot side it only had like 5 lbs in it. Someone told me on a fakeassbook page I could put around 100lbs in there and it would probably be good for the day. I have a wonky air fitting so it barely fits so I only got about 30lbs in there. It was not there this afternoon.....I'm finding clues that point to the right side shock air hose o-ring if I had to take a guess. In the shed on the center stand the compressor came on and would attempt to auto level, it would only run for a couple seconds on the front inflate setting but would run on rear inflate for the minute or two I held the button. I'll be doing much better with the manual to reference. I'll be posting progress though it won't be as fast as I'd like. I just started a new job and it is fast paced and stressful so far. I'm a construction electrical foreman. I am working for a Canadian company Spark Power Corp. That opened an office near me in Raleigh NC. But I will definitely be dedicating time towards it. Anyone have any recommendations on how to sort the fairings/hardware etc. as it is removed? Was thinking about shelves🤷‍♂️ and plastic containers. Theres soooooo many bolts, screws, tabs etc. Lol

Rednaxs60
2008 GL1800 (sold)

Post by Rednaxs60 »

Here's what it looks like stripped:

Engine out and all body panels/parts removed. Going to look much better by end October, engine rebuild and new paint.

Ernest

WillIamBurnett

Post by WillIamBurnett »

Holy cow brother.....that's insane lol I'm going to have to take alot of pictures 😳. I'm not going to go down that far unless I absolutely have to. I am more wanting to fix the suspension issue and polish/paint some parts. Luckily I have a Suzuki intruder 1500 I can finish up the NC riding season on.

Rednaxs60
2008 GL1800 (sold)

Post by Rednaxs60 »

24 inch wide shelves work good for storing body parts. The desiccant should be changed/refreshed. This part is tucked up inside the front fairing, right side. Have to remove most of what is in the right fairing to get at it, tight fit as well.

The bike looks worse than it is. Body panels make a difference when you look at it. Have thoughts that I will be stripping it down in 2022/2023 fall winter and doing the frame and other areas I'm not doing right now. Then it will be done completely. I bought the bike as my retirement project, and it hasn't disappointed me yet.

I have a 1500 that we ride and tour on. When I bought it two years ago, decided it was going to get just what it needed and I've been fairly successful at keeping to this philosophy. Did do a complete paint job on it this spring as my first C-19 project. Here's the 1500 (paint job completed) and 1200:

There is a fellow who works for Fortnine out of Montreal. Did a short you tube video on the benefits of buying an older bike. He is based out of Vancouver, and wanted an older Gold Wing for his video. I offered up both and he accepted. Very complementary. He was pleasantly surprised at how the 1200 rode and performed. Here's the video:

Never miss a video: Subscribe to the GoldwingDocs YouTube channel today!
start at about 3:30 into it.

Cheers

Ernest

WillIamBurnett

Post by WillIamBurnett »

Sweet! I really like Fortnine and his videos. Bro this fairing is a monster to remove 🤷‍♂️ I'm scared in going to break something or forget how it came apart and not be able to get it back together. I am still at the top plastic off and the seat lol nut I have been going over and over the troubleshooting process for the rear suspension auto leveling. I'm going to highlight my results and since there seems like I may have a couple different things wrong, I think I'm going to have to move very slowly and methodically. The biggest concern is so far I don't see anything just based on removing and installing the fairings/ Tupperware

WillIamBurnett

Post by WillIamBurnett »

Well I did figure out there doesn't appear to be any leaks in the system because I put 77psi in the valve by the brake master cylinder fill under the side piece and it held for 2 days. I noticed that the PO apparently spliced into the wiring harness at the right fairing pocket! Could it be that easy? It's in the red/white wire and I'm thinking that they cut too much into that hot wire and it won't allow enough voltage to go through for the amperage its pulling.

WillIamBurnett

Post by WillIamBurnett »

Anddddd I also discovered that you don't look up fairing in the manual.....its under frame and body 🤷‍♂️😳😁😂😂😂😂 I have had what I needed to take apart this whole time lol! I still wish there was a video on it. For a first timer like me it seems kind of a challenge