Crankcase gasket?

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
Atl9s
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 Interstate
1997 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic

Crankcase gasket?

Post by Atl9s »

Hello, everyone

I currently own a 1985 Goldwing 1200 Interstate

I am not mechanically inclined (not in the least bit) would like to learn to be because I want to ride this motorcycle for as long as I possibly can, despite the mechanics I know telling me that I should just sell it and get another, newer motorcycle. Can't. I prefer classics. Anywho, it is currently leaking from, what I believe it, is the bottom of the crankcase... But I'm not certain. I tried tightening the bolts, just in case the gasket is good but the bolts were lose. Nope, they're on good. I snapped one due to over tightening it. So, would anyone please help me figure out what gasket and bolt I need to order? And, if possible, a guide/video on how to do the job myself? I have a mechanic that COULD do it, but would rather not. He has too much work and this job, I'm going to assume, is too involved. I'm going to post some images. You'll see some black tape. That's just to help minimize the amount of oil leakage. It's leaking a lot.
Attachments

winguyjo
Motorcycle: wing1 : 1982 gl1100 interstate; resurrection complete. SOLD
wing2 : 1980 gl1100 interstate; resurrection complete. SOLD.
wing3 : 81gl1100i frame/82gl1100a engine/81cb900 bits. resurrection complete. naked. SOLD.
wing4 : 1977 gl1000 black w/ blue pinstripes; resurrection complete. SOLD
wing5 : 1977 gl1000 black w/gold pinstripes; nearly roadworthy when purchased, NOW RIDING.
wing6 : 1975 gl1000 blue; SOLD
CURRENTLY WINGLESS LOOKING FOR A GL1100/1200 WITH ALL THE TRIMMINGS.

Re: Crankcase gasket?

Post by winguyjo »

you say that you are not mechanically inclined but want to learn. that being the case, i would say that you ARE mechanically inclined, just inexperienced, perhaps ?
no worries, we all started with an oil or spark plug change and took off from there.

oil leaks can fool you. clean off all traces of oil and dirt and then splash some baby powder/talcum/powder/flour over the area and watch closely. the highest dark spot should show you were the oil is leaking from.

if you have basic tools and a space to do the work in, along with help from this forum, and a factory repair manual, then you are on your way. paying a shop (assuming you can find one to work on a very old bike), even at the "buddy" discount, will very quickly add up to more than just buying a nice, road-ready gl1200.
Atl9s

Post by Atl9s »

Indeed, Wingguyjo

I am very inexperienced and I barely have the money to ask a mechanic to do it. And even if I wasn't worried economically, he still doesn't have the time to do it. So I'd like to do it myself in order to learn and save money. I have been observing this issue for the past 4 weeks now so I'm certain it is leaking from the bolt that is circled red and from the seal of the case. I just don't know if it's the crankcase (I'm assuming it is), what the part numbers are, and if I can replace the gasket and bolt without having to take out the entire engine. I'm far too inexperienced for that. I know that the part that's leaking is not directly attached to the shaft drive, but I don't know whether I can just take that part of the cover off and do the work myself or if I'll have to have a professional do it for me.

With all that said, thank you kindly for responding. I'm really appreciative of any help.
dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500A
2004 NRX1800 Rune SOLD

Post by dingdong »

What you are pointing out is the clutch cover. It is a tight squeeze but can be done without removing engine. If you sheared off a bolt you need to purchase or borrow a small torque wrench. All of the bolts on the bike have a specific torque. Doesn't take much over the specs to shear a bolt. Also they need to be torqued to the correct spec after you replace the gasket to prevent new leaks. Then you also need to get the old broken bolt out after you remove the cover. There are other considerations if you decide to attempt this repair so this is just a heads up to help you decide. Good luck!

The gasket you need is listed here: https://www.hondapartshouse.com/oempart ... utch-cover
Atl9s

Post by Atl9s »

!

Thank you so very much! I truly appreciate the information you've shared. I have more confidence now to try and do it myself now that you've said that I do not need to remove the engine. I've changed the water pump, gasket, and o rings without removing the radiator or fairing before so I think I'll be able to work with the tight fit.
alanc1100
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200A Aspencade

Post by alanc1100 »

Are you talking about the large bolt at the bottom of the clutch cover? Sticking out from the tape you put on? If so, that is you oil drain plug. Is that the one that broke? Or is it one of the smaller silver bolts around the cover?
Rednaxs60
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD
2014 Can-Am Spyder RT LE
1995 GL1500 SE CDN Edition (sold)
2012 Suzuki DL1000 VStrom (sold)
2008 GL1800 (sold)
Ontario 1985 GL1200 LTD (sold)

Post by Rednaxs60 »

The bolt looks like it is one for the clutch cover. Should be able as mentioned to remove the clutch cover without taking out the engine. Take the clutch slave cylinder off, rebuild it before you put it back on, lots of crud builds up over the years:

Take out the bolts, use a piece of cardboard to locate the bolts when you put the cover back on, not all the same length. Once the cover is off should be able to get a vice grip on the affected bolt to remove it. Take note of the clutch push rod, it is a stepped rod in that half of it is narrower than the rest, only goes in one way. The cover only goes on one way as well. It has an arrow that needs to be pointing down:

As mentioned you do need a good torque wrench. Check Harbor Freight for these when on sale. 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2 inch. Inexpensive torque wrenches are very good in that applying torque is more about consistency - everything the same, than being exact, but buy the best you can afford. Good luck.

"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest