Best manual for a NOOB

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
rushtk
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Aspencade 08 Roketa 250cc Death Scooter

Best manual for a NOOB

Post by rushtk »

Good day my fellow Wing family, I am a total Wing NOOB! Just wanted to get that out there. Mine is modified so I am a little lucky with not having as much parts to take off but my wiring is everywhere. What is your "PERSONAL" opinion on what is the best maintenance book for this bike? Everyone has a different learning level and mine is moron but I still would like to rebuild my carb for some performance and learn how to do my own forks and brakes. Thank you for all your direction!

AJKIMBALL
Retired Army/Navy
dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500A
2004 NRX1800 Rune SOLD

Re: Best manual for a NOOB

Post by dingdong »

The Honda Shop Manuals are the most detailed and accurate. Here is a free manual fot the 84.
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/82601 ... 1200d.html
Just click on download. Don't try to download individual pages.
Andy Cote
Motorcycle: 2015 Goldwing, basic black

Post by Andy Cote »

Welcome to the site. WINGADMIN has a fantastic collection of How-To articles and reference information on above tabs as well as videos on YouTube.

I would grab any hardcopy manuals you can when you can. While Honda manuals are top notch, every once in a while you can pull a tidbit from the Haynes or Clymer manuals and they certainly do the job for basics like brakes and forks.

Lastly, don't be afraid to ask questions. Search the topics first as it may already have been asked but as they say, "There's no such thing as a bad question."

There are several posts regarding new acquisitions of old GL1200s but IMHO, things to know are good:

Charging system/stator/poor boy/dreaded three yellow wires
Main fuse/dogbone
timing belts
fluid changes including brakes and coolant
drive line service
steering head bearings - well all bearings
brakes
fork seals
2015 Goldwing, basic black

Previously: GL1200 standard, GL1200 Interstate, GL1500 Goldwing, GL1500 Valkyrie Standard, 2000 Valkyrie Interstate, many other Hondas
Andy Cote

Post by Andy Cote »

I read through you other posts. I didn't see a location. Where are you from?

Previously: GL1200 standard, GL1200 Interstate, GL1500 Goldwing, GL1500 Valkyrie Standard, 2000 Valkyrie Interstate, many other Hondas
rushtk
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Aspencade 08 Roketa 250cc Death Scooter

Post by rushtk »

I am a Coonass trapped in the winter land of Ohio...lol... I live in The Plains Ohio which is home of the Heisman "Joe Burow" next to Athens, Ohio. I was in the military for 21 yrs and promised the family I would not ride again till kids were in college. Been 25yrs since I rode. I got some Boo Boos while in Iraq and need to ride to help with stuff. Came across this modded 84 Aspencade, was stripped down so I traded a guy a couple of rifles for it. The local country shop had it for 4.5 months to do the front fork seals, calipers, and brakes. Ran me 1100.00, I figured I better get to learning to wrench again. Thank you again for this site!
AJKIMBALL
Retired Army/Navy
alanc1100
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200A Aspencade

Post by alanc1100 »

Rushtk, go to dingdongs post and hit the link. It came right up for me.
Alan
Andy Cote

Post by Andy Cote »

rushtk wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:41 pm I am a Coonass trapped in the winter land of Ohio...lol... I live in The Plains Ohio which is home of the Heisman "Joe Burow" next to Athens, Ohio. I was in the military for 21 yrs and promised the family I would not ride again till kids were in college. Been 25yrs since I rode. I got some Boo Boos while in Iraq and need to ride to help with stuff. Came across this modded 84 Aspencade, was stripped down so I traded a guy a couple of rifles for it. The local country shop had it for 4.5 months to do the front fork seals, calipers, and brakes. Ran me 1100.00, I figured I better get to learning to wrench again. Thank you again for this site!
I also took a break from riding for a while then picked up a GL1200 standard. Lots of trading for all my bikes. Good luck.