carb and choke

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
Dutchdriver
Motorcycle: 1986 gl1200 aspencade

carb and choke

Post by Dutchdriver »

Update to carbs, took out fuel air mix screws, rechecked jet slow and emoulant tubes. Set fuel air mix to 2 1/2 turns out, installed carbs, will run but only with choke set, hooked vacuume gauge to all carbs, running 12 inches merc on all 4 cycl. Read adjusted fuel air screw in and out, made no difference to idle or vacuum. Why wont it idle without choke? Thanks

julimike54
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200A original owner
2016 HD FLTRU

Re: carb and choke

Post by julimike54 »

My guess would be an intake air leak. Check boots to runners and the intake O rings, most obvious.....
Riding anything is a good day!
Mike
alanc1100
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200A Aspencade

Post by alanc1100 »

Do you have a Honda Goldwing Service Manual for 84-87? Did you remove the slow jets and the main jets? If not, check all the holes in the sides of them. If any are even slightly clogged, clean them gingerly with a brass brush bristle strand and boil them in distilled water. If the float valve plunger doesn’t have springiness, spray some WD40 in it and work it until it does. If it doesn’t move, replace it with genuine Honda parts. The carbs are no place to use cheap parts from China! Last, but not least, check your float angles. If none of those fix it, your carb bodies should be stripped and boiled in distilled water for 10-15 minutes, then after removing and cooling, use compressed air to blow out every single inlet and outlet including the pilot screw holes.

Sitting for 10 years regardless of the carbs being cleaned 200 miles before sitting will turn all the gas to varnish. That clogs the slow circuit big time. So, just because it gets gas to the bowls, doesn’t mean all the passages are clear. I’ve rebuilt my carbs twice in 8 years. Mostly because the crappy gas we have now is 10% or more ethanol which is made from corn and ruins bike carbs if stored with fuel in them. Same for gas tanks. BTW, how much gas was in your tank? If it was totally full you might be lucky. If not, drain all that crappy fuel out and do a serious inspection of your tank. Rust kills. What is worse is when you clean your carbs, put them back in and have rust sitting in the bottom of your tank. That will reclog your carbs.

I used genuine Honda carb kits the first time in 2013. Cost was about a $100. The second time was last fall and I bought Randakks 84-87 carb kit with the repair guide. Yes it’s $150, but it’s got the best quality orings and parts compared to anyone else. If you go the rebuild route, whichever parts you buy, strip all the removable parts from each carb, keep them separated and boil the carb bodies and reusable parts in distilled water. Then use compressed air to dry them and clear all passages. Remember, compressed air is your friend. Let me know how it turns out.
Alan
Dutchdriver
Motorcycle: 1986 gl1200 aspencade

Post by Dutchdriver »

Alan, thanks for the response. I sent carbs to bear in Wisconsin, rebuilt them and Installed. Fires right up and performs great. Changed timing belts, and did front and rear tire today. Can't wait to get it down the road! Thanks