Fork Removal on 1987 GL1200 Interstate

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
keikel
Motorcycle: 1987 GL1200I

Fork Removal on 1987 GL1200 Interstate

Post by keikel »

My left fork seal started leaking. I didn't want to tackle the fork caps, so I started the process of removing the forks today with the plan of taking them to a shop to have them replace the seals and bushings. I'm following the Haynes manual that I found on the web ... GL1200-3.pdf. In Chapter 6 it implies the forks can be removed without taking the caps off. Well, I have the bike all apart and am down to the last step, Step 9. I took off the fairing and got the triple clamp bolts loose. I'm looking at photo 4.9c and I don't see a stop ring below and adjacent to the air equalizer rings on my bike. Looking at the upper triple tree, I don't see a way to slide the fork out with the cap and washer in place.

Can someone confirm the forks can be removed with the caps on? If so, how?

Goldenponyboy
Motorcycle: 1985 gl1200 ltd edition

Re: Fork Removal on 1987 GL1200 Interstate

Post by Goldenponyboy »

Hello, I just put some progressive springs into my 85 limited and it was not that bad to get the caps off or on. Yes it can be if you do it with a ratchet and try to spin it by hand. What I did was I put the bike on the centre stand and then put blocks under the engine so the forks were fully extended. Then I tied the handle bars with ratchet straps so they would to move around freely. I removed all the clutter above the caps so you have a clean shot down the tubs. I covered my dash so if any springs fly out they didnt scratch anything. Then I cracked the cap with a socket and an extension and a ratchet. Once the cap was moving I traded the ratchet for a cordless drill on low speed. I then stood on the footrests and used the drill set up and put all my weight on it and backed the cap off. I put my helmet on incase the spring flew out and hit me. One cap did fly out and the other didnt. It was really not a big deal. As for putting them back on if you use a drill you can easily get the threads to catch. The tubes and the caps are both made of strong metal and arent going to strip. Once I put the springs in they only stuck out above the top of the fork leg 2 inches. It was not imposible to compress. I am 225lbs so maybe easier for me than some. Does that make sense?
LovelyHands
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 STD

Post by LovelyHands »

I removed the forks from an '87 Interstate frame yesterday. I had to slide the forks down a bit so that I could move the air equalizer rings (they are tight but will move) and I couldn't see the ring until those were moved.

Are the equalizer rings still in place? That ring might be hiding under those! Also, don't be like me, store the forks upright or at least make sure the little hole that the air goes into is facing up....had a nice puddle of fork oil in my garage this morning!
keikel
Motorcycle: 1987 GL1200I

Post by keikel »

Thanks to everyone for their helpful advice. Like anything I’ve not done before, taking the forks off and putting them back on is not so difficult after knowing how. I WAS surprised at the low profile of the stop rings! Wanting not to change the springs and tackle the reconditioning of the forks, I opted to have Moore Powersports do that work. Now my bike is back on the road, and I notice a massive improvement in handling performance. WOOT!!