85 Wing stalls after it gets up to temperature

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
wence5
Motorcycle: 1985 Honda Goldwing Aspencade GL1200

Post by wence5 »

Just got my bike out the other day for the season, started right up and rode it to the gas station where I filled it with clear premium. Started it up after filling and died after a few feet, started back up after backfiring. It did this a couple more times.
Started it in the garage and let it get up to temp and as soon as it is at operating temp it dies and won't start until it has cooled off.
Checked fuel pump and filter, also the relay. Everything seem fine. Could it be a bad coil?

wence5

Post by wence5 »

Got the bike out for the first time this Spring. Put clear premium gas in it and as I pulled away from the pump it stalled, then started after backfiring. Did this a couple more times on the way home, but each time got harder to start.
Last Sunday went for a quivk ride, and it fid it again, only no start this time until it cooled if. I checked the fuel pump points, filter, even checked the fuel cut off relay. I'm stumped, could it be the coil?
Starts every time after it cools off but as soon as it gets to a normal operating temp it dies and won't start.
Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade
Ducati Monster

Re: 85 Wing stalls after it gets up to temperature

Post by Rambozo »

Time to do some testing.
There are two coils, so it's unlikely both would go bad in the same way at the same time.
Check for spark.
Check power and ground connections.
Ohara
Motorcycle: 1986 Interstate
1986 Aspencade

Post by Ohara »

Check your pulse generators, they will stop working when your bike reaches operating temperature and work when cold. If you try to restart too soon your bike will back fire but not start. They are inside the timing belt cover but you can check their resistance where they plug into the wiring harness. They plug in under the false tank on left side check resistance cold then start the bike and let it run until it reaches temperature and dies then recheck resistance. This test will either tell they are defective or rule out once probable cause.
wence5

Post by wence5 »

Thanks O'hara, that helps. ;)