No spark and no fuel pump sound

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
Akgoldwing87
Motorcycle: 1987 GL1200A Aspencade special edition

No spark and no fuel pump sound

Post by Akgoldwing87 »

I recently purchased a 1987 Gl1200 Aspencade limited edition. The PO said starter was bad. So I found the stator wire upgrade was not done correctly (crimp on and wrong wire). So I installed the “EC starter harness”and properly soldered and shrink wrapped the connectors (see attached pictures). To my surprise the bike turns on and oil,neutral, and back tail light indicators light up. The bike turns over and I get no spark or hear the gas pump charge up? The PO had it in the road till starter seized he said? Any help would be appreciated.. Thanks for having aboard!! Chris
Attachments

Akgoldwing87

Re: No spark and no fuel pump sound

Post by Akgoldwing87 »

Any help on this would be great! Many thanks Chris
the_big_h
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Aspencade
1999 GL1500 Aspencade
1984 VF1100S Sabre

Post by the_big_h »

You really need a wiring diagram to track down electrical problems. I think you can download a wiring diagram off this site. Honda tends to always use the same color wires for the same functions, so even if it's off a year or two or a different trim level, it is still useful.

Note the 3-yellow-wire problem will not directly cause a no-start condition: The 3 yellow wires are in the battery charging circuit, which only does anything once the engine is running. Of course, if the charging is not working, the battery will run down in 15-30 minutes of running, eventually getting to a no-start due to dead battery. But if you charge the battery, it should start and run regardless of 3-yellow-wire condition.

On the 1200, the engine will still crank if the kill switch is off. That's of course the first thing to check.
On my 1200, I never noticed the fuel pump making noise - ever. In any case, it gets it's run signal the ignition coils, so no power to coils equals no fuel pump either.

Check for power on the black-white wire at the ignition coils - if there is no power there, but the starter will crank the engine, about the only thing if could be is the kill switch or wiring between.
Akgoldwing87

Post by Akgoldwing87 »

I will check the coils for power next. I have located the BAS and that seems to be working fine as i hear a click on a relay when I tilt it too far. I will report back on my cool findings. Thanks again ,
Chris
Akgoldwing87

Post by Akgoldwing87 »

I have power to both coils. So not sure why no spark or fuel?? Baffles me!
the_big_h
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Aspencade
1999 GL1500 Aspencade
1984 VF1100S Sabre

Post by the_big_h »

Ah - you've got the fuel-injected model...
Have you got an applicable wiring diagram? I've no experience on the fuel-injected models. I don't know if there is some ECU control of spark, or if it uses the regular independent spark boxes, you really need to follow the wiring diagram.

In any case, IF there is no ECU control of spark, and you have power to the coils, then you need to check the grounding of the system, and the pulse generators. The pulse generators signal the spark boxes to make the spark. The fuel pump relay (on non-efi bikes) sees the spark pulses to enable the fuel pump. Your EFI unit will most likely be different on the fuel pump side.
It would be really unusual for both pulse generators to give out at the same time, so I would start with checking grounding - is it possible that a ground was inadvertently removed or not re-attached when you did your rewiring?
Akgoldwing87

Post by Akgoldwing87 »

I found the issue!!!!! The small plastic connector from battery to the ECU, fuel pump etc.. had somehow was slightly unplugged probably by me!! Thanks team!! Now to take a stroll around Kenai Peninsula!!
Chris