Clutch Leak through Weephole Way worse then started

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
Azazel24
Motorcycle: 1987 Honda Goldwing Gl1200 Aspencade

Clutch Leak through Weephole Way worse then started

Post by Azazel24 »

Hello I happened to find this website when I was having issues with my clutch before. Now, I am at a point where the current forum posts cannot help me. So I created an account hoping the good folks of GoldwingDocs could help.

First I noticed my clutch zone get further and further worse then normal. I decided after doing the normal like bleeding at the master cylinder. That worked for a couple weeks and then it started to loose more fluid over time. Then after some more research I decided to do an slave master rebuild with a rebuild kit.

First Problem: I accidentally tore out the oil seal in the clutch cover but thankfully I had Dad and his friend replace after struggling the clutch cover off.

Second Problem. My dad and his friend managed to get everything back together for me but they managed to put the pushrod in backwards.

After that I managed to put the pushrod in the right way ran good for another few weeks. Of course a slow leak and low fluid again.

Third Problem: After taking it apart again I realized that I put a gasket on backwards #8 on this diagram from bikebandit https://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts/19 ... 0#sch17404.

After a short ride home from my Dads my master cylinder was completely dry. Also, as we were refilling the clutch fluid it would constantly leak through the weep hole on the clutch cover.

I am utterly stumped on how to fix the problem.

P.S. I will say the #8 gasket mentioned before tore a little bit to get the piston back in the housing.

Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade
Ducati Monster

Re: Clutch Leak through Weephole Way worse then started

Post by Rambozo »

Time to do the slave over, and this time be a bit more careful. There can't be any tears or nicks in the gaskets and seals. Lube everything with brake fluid when assembling. Make sure there are no burrs or sharp edges. If this job is out of your comfort zone, take it to a shop.

"We do it right, cause we do it twice" ;)
AZgl1800
Motorcycle: 2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc https://imgur.com/foGDjgv

'02 GL1800 lives in Dawsonville, GA now.
My son is going to enjoy it for many years to come.

Post by AZgl1800 »

One other comment:

Aftermarket Gaskets usually will not do a proper job, you should always use OEM Honda gaskets.

just like for carburetor parts, only OEM Honda will work properly for them.
~John

2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

https://i.imgur.com/4SOFPYS.jpg
Azazel24

Post by Azazel24 »

Thanks for the replies, I will buy the actual OEM gasket and try again but be more careful about it.
the_big_h
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Aspencade
1999 GL1500 Aspencade
1984 VF1100S Sabre

Post by the_big_h »

That part #8 ("cup") is the only seal that stops the clutch fluid from leaking out.
Having it on backwards is guaranteed to leak. Any damage to this cup is also guaranteed to leak.
It shouldn't be difficult to avoid damage - like mentioned earlier, lubricate it and the piston and the cylinder with brake fluid before assembling. There should be no sharp edges on the piston or cylinder - all corners are chamfered, if there are any nicks you can smooth them out with a fine file and some fine sandpaper.
When you put the piston (with seal assembled) into the cylinder, watch that the lips of the cup don't catch on the end of the bore and get folded backwards.
Azazel24

Post by Azazel24 »

Thank you for the tips and yeah I didn't lube everything last time and I recently bought everything new for the slave cylinder except the cylinder itself now for the long wait for parts.