Engine squeal after warmup

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
Twag
Motorcycle: 1986 1200 Aspencade

Engine squeal after warmup

Post by Twag »

I purchased a 1986 1200 aspencade. It didn't run when I got it. Cleaned the carburetors and gas tank. New fuel filter. Had to replace the pulse generators and one ignition coil was bad. Also installed new timing belts. Started up and seems to run good ( still have to tune the carburetors). But when I was on a test drive the engine had a squeal at idle after it warmed up. I don't know what the noise could be. Does anyone have any ideas as to what the noise could be. Thanks.

Never miss a video: Subscribe to the GoldwingDocs YouTube channel today!

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: 2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc https://imgur.com/foGDjgv

'02 GL1800 lives in Dawsonville, GA now.
My son is going to enjoy it for many years to come.

Re: Engine squeal after warmup

Post by AZgl1800 »

If the belts are too tight, the Idle Tensioners will squeal.
~John

2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

https://i.imgur.com/4SOFPYS.jpg
Bike...and Dennis
Motorcycle: 1987 GL1200I

Post by Bike...and Dennis »

I'm not really hearing a "squeal". However, I detect a bit of a miss as you rev it up that might be the right belt one tooth off.
Sync the carbs and see how it sounds.
Sunshinenomad
Motorcycle: 2000 Honda Valkyrie Interstate

Post by Sunshinenomad »

I’m not hearing a squeal either. To make sure the belt pulleys aren’t worn, put a stethoscope on the belt covers.
Nicksacco
Motorcycle: 1978 Goldwing, 1989 Goldwing, 2012 Goldwing Level 3, 2003 ST1300, 1976 Suzuki RE5, 2002 Suzuki DRZ400E

Post by Nicksacco »

Hi,
I'm not hearing a squeal per-se - but more of a slight chirping sound.
This to me sounds pretty normal.
I was expecting to hear that shreeking sound like a car when fan belt is bad.

Do make sure that you follow the belt tensioning procedure - don't add any extra tension.
Tensioners should be butter smooth when you turn them.
I assume that you changed the oil?
Aside from the noise, if the bike has sat for a long time you may also want to change oil after a hundred or so miles and check for sludge or other debris. Does the starter clutch engage properly? Sometimes the sprags can drag or slip.
Ride often and long!
Twag
Motorcycle: 1986 1200 Aspencade

Post by Twag »

Hi everyone, thanks for the replies. I did check the tension of the belts and they were probably a little tight so I loosened the tension a bit. I put the bike to top dead center with the T1 mark and set the tension to about 3/16". The manual said 1/8" to 3/16". It actually stated in the manual that if the belts were too tight the belts would whine. I started the bike and it was quiet, but the bike was cold. The noise didn't happen yesterday unit after a short test drive and the bike warmed up. I think I will change the the tensioner pully's this winter as well. They are the originals. I see a couple of DIY threads on changing the tensioners.
FM-USA
Motorcycle: mc's

Post by FM-USA »

Your tension'r bearings might be a bit dry from sitting all that time. My 91 Wing's bearing were just that, pulled them out, used a fine pointed pick to remove the rubber seals. Cleaned, inspected then re-lubed. 40K later still running great.
Tho I do have a good set at the ready... never know when one will go kaputski. ;)
By-the-way, DO NOT use Moly paste in those bearings. It binds up the roller balls in the race. ( :? don't ask)
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

FM-USA wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:07 pm Your tension'r bearings might be a bit dry from sitting all that time. My 91 Wing's bearing were just that, pulled them out, used a fine pointed pick to remove the rubber seals. Cleaned, inspected then re-lubed. 40K later still running great.
Tho I do have a good set at the ready... never know when one will go kaputski. ;)
By-the-way, DO NOT use Moly paste in those bearings. It binds up the roller balls in the race. ( :? don't ask)
Moly paste/grease should NEVER be used on something that actually moves, like bearings, or a pivot. Moly is used to lubricate between things that have minimal movement with minimal clearance, like the splined driveshaft that fits into the final drive. Moly paste has a "carrier" grease whose purpose in life is to get squeezed out between the surfaces, leaving behind a fine layer of moly to do the actual lubrication.