Shut off petcock while engine running... good idea?

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
Fatboy1234
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Standard

Shut off petcock while engine running... good idea?

Post by Fatboy1234 »

Good Day everyone and thank you for your time.

This could be a silly question but I don't know any better, I have a 84 GL1200 standard and am about to leave it for a month or so, in order to avoid the fuel going bad and all that, I've added a fuel stabilizer to the tank and was thinking to drain the carbs completly as well.

However instead of draining the fuel one by one from the carbs, could I just close the petcock and let the engine starv out of fuel? would that hurt the fuel pump in any way? or should I disconect the fuel pump first somehow? or just leave it as is for a month or so?

Sincerely,

Mohd Reza.

joecoolsuncle
Motorcycle: 1984 gl1200a

Re: Shut off petcock while engine running... good idea?

Post by joecoolsuncle »

for a month, i would add the stabil, run the bike for about 10 miles, and turn off petcock as i dismounted for storage. same for 6 months or more, except i would then also drain the carbs. there is a chance when draining the carbs and letting sit for extended periods, that you could get a stuck float(s) and cause lots of damage after opening the petcock and trying to start. but for one month, even maybe three months, i would just add stabilizer or even MMO and not worry about it. you may want to read about hydrolock in your spare time.
Fatboy1234

Post by Fatboy1234 »

Thanks Joe for the great advice, I can rest easy now knowing that.

But out of curiosity, would the fuel pump get damaged the way that I described in my post?
joecoolsuncle
Motorcycle: 1984 gl1200a

Post by joecoolsuncle »

it may overheat, as the engine would continue to run and so would the pump for several minutes while the carbs are running out of fuel. during that time, the pump would be running while dry.
LAB3
Motorcycle: Naked 1983 GL1100I project bike, now semi-dressed

Post by LAB3 »

If it where a big problem, Honda would warn you to always switch over to "Res" before your tank gas got too low. If you drain the carbs, you'll have to crank on the engine with the starter motor quite awhile to get enough gas into the float bowls after it has been sitting awhile, chances are a good bit of gasoline is going to evaporate out of the carbs either way. That's not a big deal as long as you know you have a good battery and/or have it connected to a battery tender while you're gone. If it where me, I'd probably put some sta-bil in the gas tank and park it, not much sense in over-thinking it.
I'm selling good clean fresh hay. If you want some that's already passed through the horse, that comes a little cheaper!
Fatboy1234

Post by Fatboy1234 »

Thanks to everyone for all the invaluable advices.
dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500A
2004 NRX1800 Rune SOLD

Post by dingdong »

I abree with Lab3. No way I would drain or run the carbs dry. Stabalizer, run until it gets into the carbs, let sit. What ever method you choose use a stabalizer.
AZgl1800
Motorcycle: 2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc https://imgur.com/foGDjgv

'02 GL1800 lives in Dawsonville, GA now.
My son is going to enjoy it for many years to come.

Post by AZgl1800 »

dingdong wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:07 pm I abree with Lab3. No way I would drain or run the carbs dry. Stabalizer, run until it gets into the carbs, let sit. What ever method you choose use a stabalizer.
I have mixed feelings on this.

My Auxiliary Generator requires that it always be shutdown and stored, by shutting OFF the fuel valve until the engine dies of fuel starvation.

It is also Dual Fuel for Propane, never used that feature yet.

It is now about 7 years old, starts right up every time on the 1st or 2nd click of the Start button.

Probably should change the oil in it now, it is still on the OEM oil :roll:

Life gets in the way, and mundane chores get forgotten.
~John

2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

https://i.imgur.com/4SOFPYS.jpg
LAB3
Motorcycle: Naked 1983 GL1100I project bike, now semi-dressed

Post by LAB3 »

AZgl1800 wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:18 pm

[/quote]

In the ancient times, before Al Gore invented the internet I worked for a few months at a marina. The last part of that was autumn when we pulled boats out of the water and winterized them, part of that was getting the engine set for the winter. We'd shoot fogging oil into the engine with it running then shut off the fuel supply which killed the engine. This made sure that there wouldn't be bad gas in the carb and also assured that the plugs would be fouled when it came time to start it next spring, a little inconvenience that assured nothing was going to rust. Here's the point, there's a difference between letting some set awhile or putting it away for long term storage
I'm selling good clean fresh hay. If you want some that's already passed through the horse, that comes a little cheaper!
AZgl1800
Motorcycle: 2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc https://imgur.com/foGDjgv

'02 GL1800 lives in Dawsonville, GA now.
My son is going to enjoy it for many years to come.

Post by AZgl1800 »

LAB3 wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:22 pm
AZgl1800 wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:18 pm
In the ancient times, before Al Gore invented the internet I worked for a few months at a marina. The last part of that was autumn when we pulled boats out of the water and winterized them, part of that was getting the engine set for the winter. We'd shoot fogging oil into the engine with it running then shut off the fuel supply which killed the engine. This made sure that there wouldn't be bad gas in the carb and also assured that the plugs would be fouled when it came time to start it next spring, a little inconvenience that assured nothing was going to rust. Here's the point, there's a difference between letting some set awhile or putting it away for long term storage
[/quote]

What you just stated, I think is why the manual for my Aux Gen requires the Fuel Shut off and let the engine run until it dies of fuel starvation.

back in 2016, we had a long power failure of some 12+14 hours during a winter storm.
My wife being in end stage Diabetes was extremely sensitive to be cold, and very scared of "no lights".
I had previously installed a complete approved Transfer Switch Over box so that I could start/run the Aux Gen until the factory specified time, before putting a load on it.

It ran for 14 hours, the house had lights and the Fridge and Freezer continued to work.
the HVAC is on Natural Gas so just needed electricity to run the HVAC air circulation fan ( 5 amps )

that was the last time it was run for over 3 years, with her being in/out of the hospital and "life getting in the way", the Aux Gen just did not get any attention at all, no power failures during that time.

She passed 2/17 and some time later, a year or so, we had a major power failure due to a severe Ice Storm that took out power for days at a time....

I turned on the fuel valve, pressed the Primer a few times until I felt it give some resistance.

Hit the starter button and it turned over maybe twice and fired up and continued to run until the Power Grid was restored.

So, somewhere between 4 or 5 years w/o being started, and it cranks right up and goes to work.
~John

2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

https://i.imgur.com/4SOFPYS.jpg
patbrandon1
Motorcycle: 1987 GL1200 Interstate
1982 GL1100I (Crashed)
1981 Honda CM400C (Sold)

Post by patbrandon1 »

I live in Michigan and usually for 3 months, Jan, Feb, and some of March, there is snow and salt on the roads, so I don't usually ride.

During that time, I use Marine Sta-Bil and a bit of Seafoam in the gas. My petcock leaks when set to off, (there are no more for sale to replace it) so I leave it on. Does any gas get by the electric fuel pump? I don't think so. Every season for the five years I've owned this Goldwing (1987) it starts up withing 5 seconds after sitting for my described period of time.

Put Stabil in yours and you will be fine. No need to run the carbs dry. Any electric fuel pump is cooled by the gasoline that runs through it. Running it that way will reduce the life of the pump.

Once, for a year long storage of an 82 Goldwing I pulled the plugs and sprayed WD40 in the spark plug holes then put rags in the holes to diminish rust. But there are other things to do for long term storage, but you aren't at that point so like was said before, don't over think it.

Good question and I'm hopeful you are confident that it is solved.