GL1200 headset

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
Rick B
Motorcycle: 1984 gl1200a Goldwing Aspencade

GL1200 headset

Post by Rick B »

GL1200 intercom junction box issue.
Reinstalled original system to my 84 Asp. Worked for a while then intermittently and now volume is really low with a high pitched squeal in Headset. Disconnected passenger control, still there. Disconnected Junction box from Amp and connected headset directly to junction box and squeal still there. Disconnected junction box completely and squeal went away. Seems that CB still works through headset but radio does not. From what I understand, the junction box is only for intercom. Is this correct? Can I connect headset din from radio directly to amp if I get a female to female coupler and get radio to work through headset along with CB?

julimike54
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200A original owner
2016 HD FLTRU

Re: GL1200 headset

Post by julimike54 »

Make sure you don't have the mic gain set real high, that may be a part of the problem?? I'd check with Sierra Electronics and see if they can help.....
https://www.sierra-mc.com/
Riding anything is a good day!
Mike
Rick B

Post by Rick B »

Can't be the gain as it squeals when CB is off and if I disconnect the 2 dins for CB from terminal component I still get a squeal. The only time I don't get a squeal is when the intercom junction box is disconnected. But, because this is disconnected, there is no signal to headset from radio as the Headset lead from the radio is not connected to anything. So I ask again, can I connect the headset lead from radio directly to terminal component if utilize a female to female coupler?
Rick B

Post by Rick B »

Found my answer in a forum from back in 2011. "GL1200 ASP.CB/ intercom system" discusses the option of using a coupler instead of the Junction Box. I am going to try that as it is only a $5 coupler on Amazon.