Center stand

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
86seibill
Motorcycle: 1986 aspencade

Center stand

Post by 86seibill »

Hello all, I am having a lot of problems getting my 86 sei on the center stand. Does anyone know of a better way than trying to muscle it up. If so please let me know. I’m not as young as I once was. Lol

Bike...and Dennis
Motorcycle: 1987 GL1200I

Re: Center stand

Post by Bike...and Dennis »

I'd say look on YouTube for a demonstration. The '86 & '87s are easier than the earlier years.
The trick is to push and pull at the same time, and good shoes are a must.
86seibill

Post by 86seibill »

Thanks I did watch some videos last night and am going to give it a try today. I just haven’t done it since I had the strokes. Didn’t get to ride for a while and lost some strength. Thanks again
Ohara
Motorcycle: 1986 Interstate
1986 Aspencade

Post by Ohara »

Remember to step down hard on the stand .
DenverWinger
Motorcycle: (s)
'80 GL1100 STD Vetter (2005-)
'93 GL1500 Aspencade (2017-)
'83 Trav-Lite Camper (2010-)
Past rides
'72 CL350 (1980-1988) sold
'78 Suzuki GS550 (1985-2005) sold
'77 GL1000 (2002-2006) sold

Post by DenverWinger »

I park my 1100 with the rear wheel driven up onto a 2 foot long 2x8 board. With the rear wheel lifted by the thickness of the board makes it a lot easier to get on center stand.
A local inventor has figured a way to turn a sausage grinder backward to manufacture pigs. :lol:

♫ 99 Little Bugs in the Code, ♪
♪ 99 Bugs in the Code. ♫ :(
♫ Take one down, Patch it around, ♪
♫ 127 Little Bugs in the Code. ♫ ♪ :shock:
~Mark
joecoolsuncle
Motorcycle: 1984 gl1200a

Post by joecoolsuncle »

add air to the suspension, it helps.
Kuba
Motorcycle: 2009 Suzuki Boulevard C50
1985 GL1200 Aspencade
1984 GL1200 Aspencade

Post by Kuba »

Practice makes perfect. Use your weight to step on it and pull rear rack up at the same time. After a few dozen tries I must say, I'd never think I'd do it so easly. Watch youtube as well. Even our Admin got a video how to do it on GL1100 and probably GL1500 as well.
86seibill

Post by 86seibill »

Thanks to everyone for the suggestion. I guess I just ain’t holding my mouth right. Lol but will get there. I’ve had a couple of strokes and lost some strength but I am trying all of the suggestions.
Bike...and Dennis

I think others in your situation have had their stand shortened a bit. It wouldn't take much to do a lot of good.
joecoolsuncle

Post by joecoolsuncle »

Bike...and Dennis wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:01 am I think others in your situation have had their stand shortened a bit. It wouldn't take much to do a lot of good.
im old, and chic is old, so i am considering shortening my center stand to make it easy to put up, and to drive off of, like a ride-off stand. do you have any measures and/or drawings as to how much and where to cut?
thanks
Bike...and Dennis

I have no numbers but I've heard of people shortening their stand.
I wouldn't take more than an inch though, so the rear wheel would still be off the ground.
joecoolsuncle

Post by joecoolsuncle »

yes, i have seen mentions also. i even thought about cutting, adding threads, and a locknut per side to make the stand adjustable. but, i like to let some other dummy be the.....dummy!
DenverWinger
Motorcycle: (s)
'80 GL1100 STD Vetter (2005-)
'93 GL1500 Aspencade (2017-)
'83 Trav-Lite Camper (2010-)
Past rides
'72 CL350 (1980-1988) sold
'78 Suzuki GS550 (1985-2005) sold
'77 GL1000 (2002-2006) sold

Post by DenverWinger »

Driving onto the 2x8 board effectively shortens the center stand an inch and 1/2 without any cutting at all, board just sits there where I park the bike and I drive over it when I pull into the garage. Stop with the rear wheel close to the front edge of the board, when putting up on center stand bike moves toward the rear of the board.

Center stand doesn't quite lift the bike enough so rear wheel clears the board, but it is easy enough to slide out from under the wheel if needed.
A local inventor has figured a way to turn a sausage grinder backward to manufacture pigs. :lol:

♫ 99 Little Bugs in the Code, ♪
♪ 99 Bugs in the Code. ♫ :(
♫ Take one down, Patch it around, ♪
♫ 127 Little Bugs in the Code. ♫ ♪ :shock:
~Mark
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

Here's a couple videos I created:

Never miss a video: Subscribe to the GoldwingDocs YouTube channel today!

Never miss a video: Subscribe to the GoldwingDocs YouTube channel today!
86seibill

Post by 86seibill »

Thanks for the info, I guess I’ll just have to keep trying and practicing. I’ve tried all of the methods except for rolling it up on wood to try it. But I will tomorrow. I have always road big heavy bikes and never had trouble until now, but I’ll master it again. It’s not because I am small (6’-1”) I guess I’m just out of practice. But thanks for all of the advice. I keep everyone updated.
Scooter363y
Motorcycle: 2014 gl1800

Post by Scooter363y »

There was the same problem with my brothers GL1100. Getting it up on the center stand was next to impossible. Wondering what was the deal till I took a ride. The first sign was my brother saying “ be careful it is touchy about staying on the side stand”. But after about 100 yards the problem became clear. I have never ridden something that had that “dead” of a suspension. After rebuilding and replacing springs and shocks at buth ends it raised it enough that both stands now work fine. And the ride is much better too! Amazing!

So check the suspension it may be sacked out.

As a side note he took it home and parked it in his garage for three years, in the same spot! Now it needed a battery, it has terrible flat spots in the tires. And it spits out oil in the crankcase vent. I think it has a stuck ring on the left side. A major pita! When I told him that to fix it the engine needs completely dissembling he was pleased to say the least. He is trying marvel mystery oil in it now. Only time will tell.

Oh well ride safe and ride em don’t park em!

Scooter
Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade
Ducati Monster

Post by Rambozo »

A stuck ring really isn't a problem for sitting in the garage. They can do that even with a cracked piston, no problem. :lol:
Ansimp
Motorcycle: 1982 gl1100

Post by Ansimp »

Scooter363y wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 4:05 am There was the same problem with my brothers GL1100. Getting it up on the center stand was next to impossible. Wondering what was the deal till I took a ride. The first sign was my brother saying “ be careful it is touchy about staying on the side stand”. But after about 100 yards the problem became clear. I have never ridden something that had that “dead” of a suspension. After rebuilding and replacing springs and shocks at buth ends it raised it enough that both stands now work fine. And the ride is much better too! Amazing!

So check the suspension it may be sacked out.

As a side note he took it home and parked it in his garage for three years, in the same spot! Now it needed a battery, it has terrible flat spots in the tires. And it spits out oil in the crankcase vent. I think it has a stuck ring on the left side. A major pita! When I told him that to fix it the engine needs completely dissembling he was pleased to say the least. He is trying marvel mystery oil in it now. Only time will tell.

Oh well ride safe and ride em don’t park em!

Scooter
I had the exact problem with sagged rear springs on my GL1100.
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

Scooter363y wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 4:05 am There was the same problem with my brothers GL1100. Getting it up on the center stand was next to impossible. Wondering what was the deal till I took a ride. The first sign was my brother saying “ be careful it is touchy about staying on the side stand”. But after about 100 yards the problem became clear. I have never ridden something that had that “dead” of a suspension. After rebuilding and replacing springs and shocks at buth ends it raised it enough that both stands now work fine. And the ride is much better too! Amazing!
Yup, the tired old rear suspension on my GL1100 caused over an inch of sag, making it REALLY tough to get the bike up on the center stand.

When I put a pair of new 416's on it, the back end picked right up, and it was suddenly quite easy to get it up on the center stand! What a difference!
IdahoHacker
Motorcycle: 2018 Goldwing DCT

Post by IdahoHacker »

There is a key to getting it up, and unless I missed it, hasn't been mentioned. I learned while trying, struggling, and finally giving up trying to get my '18 up on the center stand:

You MUST make sure both legs of the center stand are on the ground.

If this is the first time trying to get your new-to-you bike up, it's pretty scary. With your right foot on the center stand, lean the bike away from you until you feel/hear that little "clunk" as the right side center stand leg touches the ground. Honestly, it feels like you're going to drop the bike going away from you. You won't.

At that point you can keep your right foot on the center stand with some pressure and actually let go of the bike and it will happily just stand there. Rock it back and forth a bit to get the feel of both legs on the ground. Then do the push-pull and it comes right up.

If you don't make sure that both legs are down, you're trying to lift 800-900+ pounds up on a single point of contact with the ground. Ain't gonna happen.
Last edited by IdahoHacker on Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
I may be growing older, but I refuse to grow up.
synmonger
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Post by synmonger »

The only thing that worked for me was rolling the rear wheel up on a piece of wood. Didn't even need to be that thick. I used a piece of scrap flooring material a bit over 1/2".

Went from an impossible task to easy-peasy.
86seibill

Post by 86seibill »

Hey thanks for the great info. I’m in the process of rebuilding the front forks now. And then the rear. That makes a lot of sense about the sagging. Thanks
Rex Mericle
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500 Interstate, (2) 1983 CX650C, 2004 Victory Kingpin, 1981 CX500, 1985 CB650SC Nighthawk (project build)

Post by Rex Mericle »

These "big girls", as my wife refers to them, can be a little challenging. I'm 5' 7" and 70 years old. I have a process which allows me to get my 94 GL1500 up on center stand fairly easy. First, I leave the side stand down and turn the front wheel all the way to the right. Then, and this is the trick, I grab the left hand grip with my left hand and grab as low as possible on the left passengers grab handle. This allows me to be slightly bent over while keeping my spine straight and aligned. Next, I put my right foot on the center stand foot pad, push down and stand the bike up until I can feel both feet of the stand contacting the floor. Once that's done I straighten the front wheel. When the front wheel is straight, I lock my body into tension by pushing down with my right foot and pulling up on the passenger grab handle and the handle bar, with most pull going to the grab handle. Note, I'm just getting my body into tension to prepare for the lift. Once my body is in tension, I then smoothly, in one motion, pull up and push down until the bike rotates up onto the stand. I stress the point of getting one's body in tension to avoid any quick jerking motions which could injure one's back or, just as bad, losing control of the bike. This process has worked for over two years now. I hope this helps. Oh, one other thing. Once it's up on the center remember to fold up the side stand. Slamming your shin into that is like hitting a trailer hitch. Ask me how I know! :-)
Reno380
Motorcycle: 2008 Honda Goldwing 1800

Post by Reno380 »

I have a 2008 navi/comfort/abs although now it is triked but when it was 2 wheel I had the same trouble, first bike I could not get it on the center stand, others tried too and failed, so I did the 2x4 trick with rear suspension raised to max and got it every time. Then just before triking it I had a flat on the rear so a good friend of mine loaned me his spare he had in his garage, turns out the tires on my bike were low pro, big difference with his backup tire, I could easily get the center stand up and down. BTW, I am not a feather weight, at 6'0" 260lbs (at that time, lost 40lbs since then and still losing) I should have easily got it up on the center stand, check your tires air pressure and especially size.

Hope this helps.
-=Reno=-
86seibill

Post by 86seibill »

Thanks and good luck with your losing weight. This is my first bike that I have had a problem with. I’m 6’1” and weigh in at 282 so I shouldn’t have any problem either. But I’m going to check the rear springs after I finish the front, it’s up on a jack with the front off now. But just got home a camping trip. So maybe I’ll get to start on it tomorrow.