Bank Angle Sensor


Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
User avatar
Blackngold
Posts: 98
Joined: Wed May 16, 2012 10:11 pm
Location: Fairhope, Alabama
Motorcycle: 1998 GL1500 SE

Re: Bank Angle Sensor

Post by Blackngold » Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:55 am



Just my 2 cent opinion- when mine failed I simply removed it and jumped it out. Not too worried about the bike running if it goes down-- I got bigger problems!! I know its a safety issue. Honda prob only put it on cause they got sued by someone.



User avatar
CaNorseman
Posts: 76
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:23 pm
Location: Modesto,Ca
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500 Aspencade, 1976 GL1000 ,81 cx500d(sold), 75 cb400f(sold), 1971 SL175(sold)

Re: Bank Angle Sensor

Post by CaNorseman » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:12 pm

I went on a ride today and the bike died turning a tight corner. Towed it home. The fuel pump not getting power. I used a jumper wire and pump works fine and bike will run. I remove wire and dies again. I've ordered a bank angle sensor. For $8.00. cheap fix if it works.

User avatar
virgilmobile
Posts: 8483
Joined: Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:39 pm
Location: Denham Springs,La.
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Re: Bank Angle Sensor

Post by virgilmobile » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:57 pm

CaNorseman wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:12 pm
I went on a ride today and the bike died turning a tight corner. Towed it home. The fuel pump not getting power. I used a jumper wire and pump works fine and bike will run. I remove wire and dies again. I've ordered a bank angle sensor. For $8.00. cheap fix if it works.
Keep us posted please about this...
I may be wrong but I thought the BAS kills the ignition system..The pump is also powered from it...and when resolved the ignition and pump run again...Not just the ignition....
I suspect that if jumping power to your pump keeps the bike running the BAS is also working...disconnecting the pump from power(jumper) and having it die indicates that the ignition module is not powering the pump.
It's one of those things that if there's spark then there should be power to the fuel pump.

User avatar
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Posts: 19309
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: Strongsville, OH
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Bank Angle Sensor

Post by WingAdmin » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:53 pm

virgilmobile wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:57 pm
CaNorseman wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:12 pm
I went on a ride today and the bike died turning a tight corner. Towed it home. The fuel pump not getting power. I used a jumper wire and pump works fine and bike will run. I remove wire and dies again. I've ordered a bank angle sensor. For $8.00. cheap fix if it works.
Keep us posted please about this...
I may be wrong but I thought the BAS kills the ignition system..The pump is also powered from it...and when resolved the ignition and pump run again...Not just the ignition....
I suspect that if jumping power to your pump keeps the bike running the BAS is also working...disconnecting the pump from power(jumper) and having it die indicates that the ignition module is not powering the pump.
It's one of those things that if there's spark then there should be power to the fuel pump.
Correct. The BAS shuts the ignition down, which in turn shuts off the fuel pump. Turning the ignition off and back on resets it, and all should come back to life.

User avatar
CaNorseman
Posts: 76
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:23 pm
Location: Modesto,Ca
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500 Aspencade, 1976 GL1000 ,81 cx500d(sold), 75 cb400f(sold), 1971 SL175(sold)

Re: Bank Angle Sensor

Post by CaNorseman » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:21 pm

When i tipped the bas prior to doing the jumper ,I did have to reset it to get it to turn over. So bas is working. All i could see in the wire diagram on the blue/ black wire was it came from the ECU.

User avatar
CaNorseman
Posts: 76
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:23 pm
Location: Modesto,Ca
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500 Aspencade, 1976 GL1000 ,81 cx500d(sold), 75 cb400f(sold), 1971 SL175(sold)

Re: Bank Angle Sensor

Post by CaNorseman » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:30 pm

The 12v jumper is fused and switched. Funny thing is with the jumper on I can turn off ignition switch(still running) , Turn kill switch to off( still runs), tilt bas(still runs).. Have to turn of temp power to pump to kill engine. Im back feeding 12 volts somewhere.

User avatar
CaNorseman
Posts: 76
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:23 pm
Location: Modesto,Ca
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500 Aspencade, 1976 GL1000 ,81 cx500d(sold), 75 cb400f(sold), 1971 SL175(sold)

Re: Bank Angle Sensor

Post by CaNorseman » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:12 pm

virgilmobile wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:57 pm
CaNorseman wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:12 pm
I went on a ride today and the bike died turning a tight corner. Towed it home. The fuel pump not getting power. I used a jumper wire and pump works fine and bike will run. I remove wire and dies again. I've ordered a bank angle sensor. For $8.00. cheap fix if it works.
Keep us posted please about this...
I may be wrong but I thought the BAS kills the ignition system..The pump is also powered from it...and when resolved the ignition and pump run again...Not just the ignition....
I suspect that if jumping power to your pump keeps the bike running the BAS is also working...disconnecting the pump from power(jumper) and having it die indicates that the ignition module is not powering the pump.
It's one of those things that if there's spark then there should be power to the fuel pump.
I'm thinking of that too. Thanks for the responses. See later posts also. Is there a relay in this circuit that the stop switch and bas control to supp;y power to ecu?

User avatar
DenverWinger
Posts: 377
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:20 pm
Location: Denver, CO
Motorcycle: 1980 GL-1100 STD Vetter (2005-)
1993 GL-1500 Aspencade (2017-)
1983 Trav-Lite Camper (2010-)
Past rides
1972 CL-350 (1980-1988) sold
1978 Suzuki GS-550 (1985-2005) sold
1977 GL-1000 (2002-2006) sold

Re: Bank Angle Sensor

Post by DenverWinger » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:33 am

If the fuel pump output from the ECU has failed, it is repairable. I have a PDF How-To with step-by-step for replacing the fuel pump output transistor. Site won't let me attach a PDF, but maybe WingAdmin has it on file somewhere, too.

Otherwise I could snip the images and post as JPG...
They say 98% of all Hardleys ever made are still on the road..... The other 2% made it home. :lol:
(I stole this from somebody on another GW site...) :roll:

User avatar
CaNorseman
Posts: 76
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:23 pm
Location: Modesto,Ca
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500 Aspencade, 1976 GL1000 ,81 cx500d(sold), 75 cb400f(sold), 1971 SL175(sold)

Re: Bank Angle Sensor

Post by CaNorseman » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:49 pm

DenverWinger wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:33 am
If the fuel pump output from the ECU has failed, it is repairable. I have a PDF How-To with step-by-step for replacing the fuel pump output transistor. Site won't let me attach a PDF, but maybe WingAdmin has it on file somewhere, too.

Otherwise I could snip the images and post as JPG...
I'd be interested in the source and I can look up.

User avatar
CaNorseman
Posts: 76
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:23 pm
Location: Modesto,Ca
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500 Aspencade, 1976 GL1000 ,81 cx500d(sold), 75 cb400f(sold), 1971 SL175(sold)

Re: Bank Angle Sensor

Post by CaNorseman » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:03 pm

CaNorseman wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:30 pm
The 12v jumper is fused and switched. Funny thing is with the jumper on I can turn off ignition switch(still running) , Turn kill switch to off( still runs), tilt bas(still runs).. Have to turn of temp power to pump to kill engine. Im back feeding 12 volts somewhere.
For everyone helping me, THANKS. I look at all info and use it . I have a set of symptoms common to many stopped running issues. I am looking into all of your suggestions and eliminate them one by one. My next step is to check the stop/kill switch.So far eliminated battery,fuses,relays,bas, fuel pump, fuel cap vent,overheat, low oil pressure,side stand switch,reverse switch. looking to check kill switch tomorrow.

User avatar
CaNorseman
Posts: 76
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:23 pm
Location: Modesto,Ca
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500 Aspencade, 1976 GL1000 ,81 cx500d(sold), 75 cb400f(sold), 1971 SL175(sold)

Re: Bank Angle Sensor

Post by CaNorseman » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:05 pm

DenverWinger wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:33 am
If the fuel pump output from the ECU has failed, it is repairable. I have a PDF How-To with step-by-step for replacing the fuel pump output transistor. Site won't let me attach a PDF, but maybe WingAdmin has it on file somewhere, too.

Otherwise I could snip the images and post as JPG...
Thanks ,if you have the source i can look up, good info

User avatar
CaNorseman
Posts: 76
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:23 pm
Location: Modesto,Ca
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500 Aspencade, 1976 GL1000 ,81 cx500d(sold), 75 cb400f(sold), 1971 SL175(sold)

Re: Bank Angle Sensor

Post by CaNorseman » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:15 pm

WingAdmin wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:53 pm
virgilmobile wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:57 pm
CaNorseman wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:12 pm
I went on a ride today and the bike died turning a tight corner. Towed it home. The fuel pump not getting power. I used a jumper wire and pump works fine and bike will run. I remove wire and dies again. I've ordered a bank angle sensor. For $8.00. cheap fix if it works.
Keep us posted please about this...
I may be wrong but I thought the BAS kills the ignition system..The pump is also powered from it...and when resolved the ignition and pump run again...Not just the ignition....
I suspect that if jumping power to your pump keeps the bike running the BAS is also working...disconnecting the pump from power(jumper) and having it die indicates that the ignition module is not powering the pump.
It's one of those things that if there's spark then there should be power to the fuel pump.
Correct. The BAS shuts the ignition down, which in turn shuts off the fuel pump. Turning the ignition off and back on resets it, and all should come back to life.
Thanks to all of the group, I have a unique problem so far. I will keep you posted as to what fixed the gremlin. So many things affect the ecu providing spark and fuel pump. I check all suggestions. I'll keep you posted. I'll also proved a picture of my temp power fix for your toolbox.So far I've eliminated battery,BAS. fuses, relays,side stand switch,reverse switch,fuel pump and capacitor,all ignition parts. Next is Kill switch as they have been known to fail.All good so far, I rode 65 miles of rough turning road today with my temp power hook up. Sorry for Guys still Iced in and covered in snow.

User avatar
bellboy40
Posts: 392
Joined: Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:13 pm
Location: Brewton, AL
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE Candy Spectra Red
1994 GL1500SE Bermuda Green

Re: Bank Angle Sensor

Post by bellboy40 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:26 pm

I don't know why you can't attach a pdf but it is not allowed. Here is a link to a thread that discusses this issue. In post #2 you will find a link to the pdf file that shows how to replace the transistor in the ECU that powers the fuel pump.

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/2-g ... emlin.html

User avatar
CaNorseman
Posts: 76
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:23 pm
Location: Modesto,Ca
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500 Aspencade, 1976 GL1000 ,81 cx500d(sold), 75 cb400f(sold), 1971 SL175(sold)

Re: Bank Angle Sensor

Post by CaNorseman » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:55 pm

Blackngold wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:55 am
Just my 2 cent opinion- when mine failed I simply removed it and jumped it out. Not too worried about the bike running if it goes down-- I got bigger problems!! I know its a safety issue. Honda prob only put it on cause they got sued by someone.
I agree the BAS is a pain for more bikes than the Goldwing. My jumper as eliminated The bas and Kill switch and ignition switch from the kill circuit. I may be weird but try to keep bikes original as much as I can. I will find and fix the problem.I buy used bikes to fix and ride for a few years and so far have not expended as much as 1 new bike. I have a 76 gl1000 and a 91 gl1500. 11 states so far and lots of memories and challenges. " It's not what you ride, but that you ride". After 6 bikes I'm hooked.



Post Reply