black key switch grommet

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
grizzlybear1943
Motorcycle: 1993 honda goldwing gl1500

black key switch grommet

Post by grizzlybear1943 »

Hi to all goldwing riders,
I am looking for the key switch grommet for 1993 honda gl1500. the item is where you insert the key, and around the key there is a black grommet. it looks like one of the flanges broke off. I tried looking on e-bay, however they have chrome accents covers, I might end up buying one, but I would rather have the black one. so anyone have any ideas, let me know.
Thanks Ben Marino, if prefere you can call me @505-306-5075

RoadRogue
Motorcycle: 1997 1500SE

Re: black key switch grommet

Post by RoadRogue »

My chrome one also broke the tab on the back side. I used 3M mounting tape to stick it back in place. holding up well so far. 8-)
Ride safe, Todd
Over night campers welcome
HALBUDD
Motorcycle: 1984 gl1200a&1985GL1200A & 1996 gl 1500 aspy. us army 74-77

Post by HALBUDD »

I had my brown one that came with the bike break one of the little tabs off too,got a chrome one and it did the same thing. I put the old brown one back on but I used a small amount of silicon to glue it back in place. I have seen the black and brown ones on e-bay but not very often.----------------------------------Hal
A woman that can use tools is worth her weight in gold !!
Fiberthree
Motorcycle: Black 1999 GL1500SE

Post by Fiberthree »

Found it at this site...
http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmotorc ... 9#sch21963

But wow! $26 for that little part!!
Ed

WARNING: All posts are subject to influence from an uncontrollable dominant sarcastic gene. Offensive remarks may or may not be intentional.
pumalova
Motorcycle: 1998 GL1500 SE

Post by pumalova »

I myself am looking for this same grommet. I happen to have a 3d printer that could make one though. Is anyone out there willing to link an stl file or give me measurements for it so that I can make the model and post it to thingiverse?
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

There are still inexpensive chrome aftermarket ones available:

https://cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/gl1500 ... /79/243720

https://cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/gl1500 ... t/79/87087

If you don't want the chrome on there (I certainly wouldn't) you can just hit it with some flat black spray paint.

You could also mix up a 3:1 mixture of water and hydrochloric acid (3 parts water, 1 part HCl) and soak it in there, it will eat the chrome away and leave the plastic. I suspect the plastic will be virgin, uncolored ABS so it will be a cream color, and you'd then have to either paint or stain it black.
Rambozo
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade
Ducati Monster

Post by Rambozo »

Rough basic shape.

Ring.stl
(17.86 KiB) Downloaded 24 times

I got one of the chrome ones. At first I didn't want chrome, but now I like how easy it is to find the keyswitch at night.
pumalova

Post by pumalova »

Thanks so much for the file! It looks great so far. I'm going to print and return with some pics. If it turns out good, are you posting it to thingiverse or may I have permission to do so?
Rambozo
Ducati Monster

Post by Rambozo »

Feel free.
The circle should have a few more segments, and it should have some filets on the corners and such, but I only had an old version of Sketchup on this laptop. I pulled my chrome one and measured it. I've never had an original Honda so I'm not sure how close the aftermarket one is. One thing to note is that there is a lot of play in the hole by design, so it can line up with the key switch even if there is misalignment with the cover.
pumalova

Post by pumalova »

So I printed it laying flat first and one of tabs broke off immediately while installing it. I should've known better, but I did it anyways. Printed it again standing this time with a brim and supports. It's not beautiful, but it cost me next to nothing to make and it is functioning. I'm happy. Thanks again.

Rambozo
Ducati Monster

Post by Rambozo »

Cool. I'm glad to help.
michaelb
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500A SE

Post by michaelb »

pumalova wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 4:19 pm So I printed it laying flat first and one of tabs broke off immediately while installing it. I should've known better, but I did it anyways. Printed it again standing this time with a brim and supports. It's not beautiful, but it cost me next to nothing to make and it is functioning. I'm happy. Thanks again.
Could you elaborate on what you mean by brim and supports?
pumalova

Post by pumalova »

It is 3d printing/slicer lingo. A brim is a form of print bed adhesion at the beginning of the print. Supports are extra pieces of material used to support parts of a print that are hanging in midair so that the model will have a surface to print to. Kind of like disposable scaffolding for a 3d print. I'm sure Google or YouTube can explain that much better than I can, but I tried. :P
michaelb
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500A SE

Post by michaelb »

I've heard of supports but not brim. Thanks for the explanation. My son recommended printing at higher temp, higher density, and maybe a different orientation to avoid the breakage along the "grain". Resin printing might give a better result with more strength but we don't have access to one. I broke down and purchased a chrome one (ooooh, shiny!) but I may try to rescue my old one.

Strategy:
* purchase a small sheet of ABS
* cut a slice as wide as the "flanges", about twice as long
* fold it over like a "U" using a heat gun (low temp, longer exposure, don't get overzealous or it bubbles and boils and ruins the plastic)
* carefully file off the old "L" by hand
* adhere the "U" using acetone

My prototype was "mostly good" but i got the bend wrong. When I improve it I'll share results and pics.
Attachments

Jkjiv
Motorcycle: 1996 Goldwing SE 1500

Post by Jkjiv »

Just found this on ebay, comes in black and Chrome and claims to be made of aluminum

https://www.ebay.com/itm/144767484001?m ... media=COPY
Attachments