Helmet holder

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
GoldWingRev
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500
Pull-behind trailer (my design)
2017 Zero DS 7.2*

Helmet holder

Post by GoldWingRev »

When I got my '88, there were a few things that were goofy about it, and one of them that really bothered me was the lack of helmet holder. Dude just removed them (PO), and they're not exactly easy to find and replace. Well, I managed to. And the result makes no sense:

Sorry, the image looks cut off now.

How the hell is this supposed to hold a helmet? It can't, the U-hinge won't hinge (for lack of a better word). This is one I took of a '96 belonging to Wingsconsin and it works:

The opening mechanism in the trunk won't stay put, it has to be at an extreme angle towards the front to connect. Anybody have any ideas?

Fiberthree
Motorcycle: Black 1999 GL1500SE

Re: Helmet holder

Post by Fiberthree »

By the looks of the first photo the unit is too far forward. The release mechanism hole should not be visible. Something is not aligned correctly.
Ed

WARNING: All posts are subject to influence from an uncontrollable dominant sarcastic gene. Offensive remarks may or may not be intentional.

GoldWingRev
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500
Pull-behind trailer (my design)
2017 Zero DS 7.2*

Post by GoldWingRev »

I feel like the trunk itself must be aligned wrong, because the holder is screwed into the only hole in the frame for it. I was afraid someone'd say that.

Fiberthree
Motorcycle: Black 1999 GL1500SE

Post by Fiberthree »

Any idea if the PO had removed the trunk? When I took mine off to gain access to the turn signal flasher I had a terrible time replacing it because the screws were not lining up properly. Took a lot of patience to get it back to the proper location. I had to start the screws closest to the hinge side first and then the ones by the latch side. Only after they were all in could I tighten them all.
Ed

WARNING: All posts are subject to influence from an uncontrollable dominant sarcastic gene. Offensive remarks may or may not be intentional.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

Is it possible the previous owner remounted the trunk, moving it back an inch or so?

Honu425
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500 Aspencade
1998 GL1500SE CSC Trike

Post by Honu425 »

WingAdmin,
I know it's an old post but do you by chance have any photos of how these things mount? I bought a set on ebay for my 98Se that didn't have any. I'm either missing a piece or.....???

Thanks in advance
Honu425

CrystalPistol
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500SE/'98 Lehman Trike

Post by CrystalPistol »

:shock: When a bike is converted to a trike, they get removed :? just pitched a 5 pound coffee can full of them yesterday. :roll:
Make Courtesy your "Code of the Road" …

… & Have a Safe Trip!
:)

Honu425
1998 GL1500SE CSC Trike

Post by Honu425 »

OK, this helps a bunch. I think Crystal Pistol is right, my SE is a trike, and the holes in the trunk subpanel were covered with tape. I started think the locks mounted to that, but in looking at the photos I guess they mount to the actual bottom of the trunk.

This all started while I'm converting my trike to all LED lighting; front to back. In doing so I had to remove the trunk to get at flashers, trunk cables, etc. To say there was an amount of "red-neck engineering" involved would be an uh,...um...understatement. Yeah that's it.

Thanks for the info.

CrystalPistol

Post by CrystalPistol »

Honu425 wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:26 am
OK, this helps a bunch. I think Crystal Pistol is right, my SE is a trike, and the holes in the trunk subpanel were covered with tape. I started think the locks mounted to that, but in looking at the photos I guess they mount to the actual bottom of the trunk.

This all started while I'm converting my trike to all LED lighting; front to back. In doing so I had to remove the trunk to get at flashers, trunk cables, etc. To say there was an amount of "red-neck engineering" involved would be an uh,...um...understatement. Yeah that's it.

Thanks for the info.
With the wider / bigger rear body of a trike under the trunk, the helmet locks were virtually unusable anyway. They mounted to little tabs on a subframe that holds the trunk as I recall.

Idea I had … I wanted a way to lock a helmet or two on ours to keep them from "falling off" as we were away from the trike like in a restaurant, etc. I took a piece of vinyl covered 1/8" steel cable and those aluminum "crimp" type of cable clamps (used a hammer and steel block and shaft of screwdriver crossways to crimp them in a couple places) to add a loop at each end, covered clamp with tape, loop cable through my FF helmet chin bar and the co-rider helmet D Rings and passenger hand holds, added a small brass padlock. Helmets just set on the seat then. If some curious onlooker or one of us bumped the trike, no helmet drops. Worked super.

… & Have a Safe Trip!

Honu425
1998 GL1500SE CSC Trike

Post by Honu425 »

Thanks for that Crystal Pistol.
I "found" the subframe they attach to and got mine mounted finally. I've got and "earlier" California Side Car trike and my lower trunk isn't as wide as yours. since all I want them for is to lock on a helmet when I'm away from the bike, I think it will work just fine.

Jeff

CrystalPistol

Post by CrystalPistol »

I used to use "extenders" on my 1200 bike, had Wing shaped big ends, they slipped through the D-ring to reach the lock. When not in use, they just hung on locks.

On the trike, I used the cable, and on both I moved the trunk back a ways for room, made my own brackets to do so. I used two long pieces of 1" wide x 3/16" steel, but the first one I saw up in Ohio used 4 shorter pieces 1/4 or 3/8" thick aluminum, also 1" wide.
Attachments

… & Have a Safe Trip!

Honu425
1998 GL1500SE CSC Trike

Post by Honu425 »

CrystalPistol,
Why, may I ask, did you feel the need to move the trunk back? I'm curious.
Regards
Jeff