Kickstand kill switch

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
Tim 1956
Motorcycle: 1994 Honda GL 1500i Goldwing (Interstate)

Re: Kickstand kill switch

Post by Tim 1956 »

4given wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 11:27 am There is a little finger on the back of that switch that slides into a hole at the top of the side stand which rotates the inside of the switch back-and-forth for on and off. Best to do with the motorcycle on the center stand. I’m sure you knew that.
No, I didn't know anything about the switch. There was nothing to cleanout. Only spray wd 40 and chain lube around the top of it and keep spinning it around and around. It worked about 3 or 4 times and then started again. I just got in from taking it off again and pushing anti seize into the cracks like greasing a wheel bearing. That did nothing. It works fine in neutral, but I'm afraid it will leave me stranded one day so I guess I'm buying a new one. Thanks for all your help Dan. I thought it was an easy fix...unless I missed something. Anti seize is great for contact connections especially battery terminals I've been using since getting out of the Navy in 1978. That's where I learned about it. :D If there is something else I need to do.....tell me.
Thanks again.
Tim

4given
Motorcycle: 1996 Honda GL1500 Aspencade

Post by 4given »

Tim 1956 wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 4:27 pm
4given wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 11:27 am There is a little finger on the back of that switch that slides into a hole at the top of the side stand which rotates the inside of the switch back-and-forth for on and off. Best to do with the motorcycle on the center stand. I’m sure you knew that.
No, I didn't know anything about the switch. There was nothing to cleanout. Only spray wd 40 and chain lube around the top of it and keep spinning it around and around. It worked about 3 or 4 times and then started again. I just got in from taking it off again and pushing anti seize into the cracks like greasing a wheel bearing. That did nothing. It works fine in neutral, but I'm afraid it will leave me stranded one day so I guess I'm buying a new one. Thanks for all your help Dan. I thought it was an easy fix...unless I missed something. Anti seize is great for contact connections especially battery terminals I've been using since getting out of the Navy in 1978. That's where I learned about it. :D If there is something else I need to do.....tell me.
Thanks again.
Tim
Sounds like you’re going to have to bite the bullet and look for a new switch my friend. Sorry you couldn’t get the switch to work. I hope you can find a new switch. They are probably getting harder and harder to find.
“Fight the fight and do what is right“
Tim 1956

Post by Tim 1956 »

4given wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 5:51 pm
Thanks again.
Tim
Sounds like you’re going to have to bite the bullet and look for a new switch my friend. Sorry you couldn’t get the switch to work. I hope you can find a new switch. They are probably getting harder and harder to find.
Can I have yours? It's what a good Christian should do. :lol: Christian humor. :D Thanks for the confirmation I need a new one. I don't think there is much in that switch but bearings I'm guessing. I tried to pull it apart, but without a hamafor.........it was not coming out. :lol:
4given
Motorcycle: 1996 Honda GL1500 Aspencade

Post by 4given »

Nice try Brother Dufus.I felt some conviction for about 30 seconds. 😁. I’m rooting (praying)for you though.
“Fight the fight and do what is right“
Tim 1956

Post by Tim 1956 »

4given wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 9:41 pm Nice try Brother Dufus.I felt some conviction for about 30 seconds. 😁. I’m rooting (praying)for you though.
I'm glad you saw it as fun humor. Some people use that as a guilt trip. I copied what ... d'oh forget his title on here, he wrote what the color wires were. 2 green and one yellow. I copied the diagram he had too. I could probably tie or connect or short both green wires together and that would fix everything, but it would not stop when you put the stand down. I'll just run a razor knife blade through both green wires and see if that solves the problem. It has been getting difficult to start the last few days as I ride it almost everyday and definitely every other day. 30 seconds??? Wow, I almost had you asking me for my address. :lol: I think I would have lasted a few nano seconds. :lol: before falling over with laughter. :D "Rooting"??? That is what the wild hogs do... they root through everything. Thanks. 🙄 Oh, now it pops into my head, the administrator. duh. Does he have a name or did I forget? I see his videos all the time and his monthly letters. Not that he isn't bad looking, but if he was a she, I would probably remember everything. Men are men. :lol: Thanks again Dan. Peace.
Tim 1956

Post by Tim 1956 »

Thanks again.
Tim
Thanks to the administrator, I just finished splicing the 2 green wires together as they both showed ground and now it keeps running when the side stand is down. That's what the kill switch is for. duh. :D Solved that problem. :lol:
Tim 1956

Post by Tim 1956 »

Thanks again.
Tim

cheap quick fix.
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

Never use those awful "vampire" clips. They expose the inner conductor, are not weatherproof (particularly one that's hanging right next to the road!) and oxidation WILL cause eventual failure.
Tim 1956

Post by Tim 1956 »

WingAdmin wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 4:15 pm Never use those awful "vampire" clips. They expose the inner conductor, are not weatherproof (particularly one that's hanging right next to the road!) and oxidation WILL cause eventual failure.
Must be an .. UP north thing. Thanks. We've used them forever in south florida. Never ever a problem. Thanks for the heads up though. I can spray the inside with wd40 if it would ever happen. We've just never had problems with them when I was working. I crimped mine up above under the cover so it won't be exposed to the elements. I wasn't going to put it down at the switch. If I wasn't so lazy and in a hurry to see if your recommendations and diagram worked, I could have soldered them together. thanks again.
Mr. Dufus. 😁
Tim 1956

Post by Tim 1956 »

WingAdmin wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 4:15 pm Never use those awful "vampire" clips. They expose the inner conductor, are not weatherproof (particularly one that's hanging right next to the road!) and oxidation WILL cause eventual failure.
Yes, thankyou again and again for your schematic and wiring diagram and what did what. It saved me $35.00 at least. I never did like that kick stand kill switch. I was starting to have starting problems and apparently that was the problem. I would love to cut the switch out and break it apart and see what it does. Thanks again for your work on that.
Mr. Dufus. :-)
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

Tim 1956 wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 5:00 pm
Must be an .. UP north thing. Thanks. We've used them forever in south florida. Never ever a problem. Thanks for the heads up though. I can spray the inside with wd40 if it would ever happen. We've just never had problems with them when I was working. I crimped mine up above under the cover so it won't be exposed to the elements. I wasn't going to put it down at the switch. If I wasn't so lazy and in a hurry to see if your recommendations and diagram worked, I could have soldered them together. thanks again.
Mr. Dufus. 😁
I just know that in the bikes I've come across with intermittent electrical issues due to aftermarket wiring, those clips were the cause of the issues a large percentage of the time. They do fail, often, and usually intermittently at first (i.e. "my lights stop working when I go over a bump" kind of problems).
Tim 1956

Post by Tim 1956 »

WingAdmin wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 9:12 am
Tim 1956 wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 5:00 pm
Mr. Dufus. 😁
I just know that in the bikes I've come across with intermittent electrical issues due to aftermarket wiring, those clips were the cause of the issues a large percentage of the time. They do fail, often, and usually intermittently at first (i.e. "my lights stop working when I go over a bump" kind of problems).
Must be the... "up north elements". We used them all the time with forestry emergency equipment, radio communications in the vehicles and the bulldozers, emergency lighting. They never failed. We used all the crimp connectors. We don't have road salt or the slush. But, I am happy you told me anyway. Now you will jinx me and I will have problems and have to put anti-seize in the connector. thanks again. :lol: