U-joint noise??

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
midnite906
Motorcycle: 97 Wing SE 1500

U-joint noise??

Post by midnite906 »

97 Wing SE 1500 had real loud clinking noise in swing arm and thought u-joint was clinking so removed rear wheel and started bike and still had noise. So took drive shaft/rear end off and still have clinking sound from inside swing arm so took swing arm off to check u-joint and that is in great shape so now I grabbed the output shaft to see what kind of play is in the shaft and all I can feel is the movement I have is back lash which is minimal but no up and down movement which I figured would be my problem. Well can't imagine what else is causing this noise ?? Anybody ever heard of this before. When I say I have a wing clinking issue, people look at me like I have 3 heads...

ct1500
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Re: U-joint noise??

Post by ct1500 »

If the swingarm is not installed correctly it can be off center in frame letting the U-joint yokes hit the inside of tube.

The pivot bolt pins of swingarm must be properly lined up and inserted into the swingarm bearings prior to tightening and setting preload.
Local and need repair help with your 1500, Valkyrie or ST please click contact
Nothing leaves my shop till its' perfect
This is what I do

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

So with the U-joint removed, you still hear clanking when the bike is in gear and the engine driveshaft output is turning?

Incidentally, you don't have to remove the swingarm to remove the U-Joint out, however I suppose it helps with the diagnostic process in this case.

midnite906
Motorcycle: 97 Wing SE 1500

Post by midnite906 »

the swing arm was factory installed and never has been off bike before. Inside of the swing arm housing has no marks where the u joint MIGHT of been hitting but no marks found. Next I will take battery and hook it back up so i can start it up to see if I hear the noise.
Thanks for getting back to me!!

cwscoobyman2500
Motorcycle: GL1500 Interstate. 1991

Post by cwscoobyman2500 »

Hi I own a GL 1500 Interstate 1991,Anniversary model. 38k miles.

I have the same fault with a vibration noise from the drive shift,roughly UJ area.
This happens at about 50mph in 4th gear and overdrive,not on 1,2 or 3?

I have pushed the rubber boot away to look at UJ,but all seems fine,the swing arm has never been off,as far as I'm aware.

Taking the panniers off and rear wheel takes ages,so looking for any ideas.

There is no noise from the front of the propshaft(engine end) and there is no noise from the rear wheel end,eg bearings OK,no evidence of anything been loose,or signs of damage.

Did you find out what the problem was on your wing?

Any help from any member is much appreciated.

Thank You.
Conrad.

Thanks.

CrystalPistol
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500SE/'98 Lehman Trike

Post by CrystalPistol »

WingAdmin wrote:
Tue May 19, 2015 8:41 am
So with the U-joint removed, you still hear clanking when the bike is in gear and the engine driveshaft output is turning?
Good question. I wondered if maybe the clanking he heard was really just backlash in the gear train of the bike taking up and letting out as the engine loafed along speeding up/slowing with each cylinder firing at idle in gear on the center stand with the wheels free to rotate off the ground. My 1200 did that but adding a few revs or just lightly dragging the rear brake killed the noise. I vaguely recall once running the trike in gear with rear up on stands, it did it too. The rear wheel/tire(s) is/are like a flywheel(s), it/they likes steady speed but a loafing engine output shaft oscillates.
WingAdmin wrote:
Tue May 19, 2015 8:41 am
Incidentally, you don't have to remove the swingarm to remove the U-Joint out, however I suppose it helps with the diagnostic process in this case.
I knew the u-joint would come through the swing arm on my '85 Aspencade and the Lehman swing arm of my 1500 trike …
… but I didn't think the u-joint would pass through the tunnel of the swing arm on a GL1500 bike. I thought the swing arm on a 1500 had to be at least partially removed? I just recently tossed two away, but they had a ring in there that prevented the u-joint from passing through as I recall.
Make Courtesy your "Code of the Road" …

… & Have a Safe Trip!
:)

cwscoobyman2500

Hi moved the rubber boot,there is metal filings and small lumps of metal,I think the splines on the prop shift have failed and possibly the splines inside the UJ will be damaged also.
Only had the bike two weeks.
Reading other write ups,I think that the prop shift has not been out since new,29 years ago,so no molly grease on it for many years.
The prop shaft will have been rubbing bare metal against the UJ and eventually failed.
Will have to strip it all down and fit another prop shaft and UJ.
Marvelous.

CrystalPistol
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500SE/'98 Lehman Trike

Post by CrystalPistol »

cwscoobyman2500 wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:20 pm
Hi moved the rubber boot,there is metal filings and small lumps of metal,I think the splines on the prop shift have failed and possibly the splines inside the UJ will be damaged also.
Only had the bike two weeks.
Reading other write ups,I think that the prop shift has not been out since new,29 years ago,so no molly grease on it for many years.
The prop shaft will have been rubbing bare metal against the UJ and eventually failed.
Will have to strip it all down and fit another prop shaft and UJ.
Marvelous.
Yep, yours will very likely need a prop shaft and U-joint.
Make Courtesy your "Code of the Road" …

… & Have a Safe Trip!
:)

cwscoobyman2500

cwscoobyman2500 wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:36 am
Hi I own a GL 1500 Interstate 1991,Anniversary model. 38k miles.

I have the same fault with a vibration noise from the drive shift,roughly UJ area.
This happens at about 50mph in 4th gear and overdrive,not on 1,2 or 3?

I have pushed the rubber boot away to look at UJ,but all seems fine,the swing arm has never been off,as far as I'm aware.

Taking the panniers off and rear wheel takes ages,so looking for any ideas.

There is no noise from the front of the propshaft(engine end) and there is no noise from the rear wheel end,eg bearings OK,no evidence of anything been loose,or signs of damage.

Did you find out what the problem was on your wing?

Any help from any member is much appreciated.

Thank You.
Conrad.

Thanks.
Update.

Replaced rear drive,propshaft and uj,done over a hundred mile.Spot on.

The housing on the rear drive has too much play,this play transferred along the propshaft was causing the uj to catch the inside of the swing arm.I purchased a second hand rear drive for £60,its done 100k miles,but has no play at the point where the propshaft fits in.
Working fine now,no scraping,knocking.

Is there anybody in the UK who can refurb a rear drive off my GL1500.
Its only done 38k miles,the part where the propshaft goes into has too much play,can this be nipped up,or replaced..

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

If it has too much free play, generally it's from wear caused by insufficient lubrication. Those splines need to be coated with moly as a maintenance item.

I don't know that I've ever heard of a refurb, usually people just replace them with junkyard or trike takeoffs.