4"x6" speakers in the dash?

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
millerized
Motorcycle: 99 GL1500SE

Re: 4"x6" speakers in the dash?

Post by millerized » Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:58 am

Huge part of gaining in life is just trying it.
Congrats!
sm0ikr wrote:Almost there. Thanks for encouraging me. Spring or not but riding time is here soon.
[img]
P60415-170245.jpg
[/img]

Yours is a little different than mine. But they sound better than stock.

Rubber side down.
George

sm0ikr
Motorcycle: 1989 GL1500

Post by sm0ikr » Sat Apr 16, 2016 12:12 pm

You only regret what you did NOT try.
;-)

millerized
Motorcycle: 99 GL1500SE

Post by millerized » Sat Apr 16, 2016 2:29 pm

sm0ikr wrote:You only regret what you did NOT try.
;-)
Oh...I'm surely regretted a few things I "DID" try, lemmeetellya!

giturgun
Motorcycle: 88 1500 gl

Post by giturgun » Mon May 02, 2016 8:22 pm

Looking at upgrading mine as well. But I am going to put the speakers in the fairing pockets. I have an 88 and will remove the storage pockets from both sides, I will have aluminum pieces cut by lazer at work and use plate speakers for the sound.I looked at a 4 x 8 3 way but have not measured yet to see if it will fit.. Amp will be a 45 watt ch and I have an old eq with bass out on it. Always wanted to bass blast on a bike just for kicks. Its just something U do not see.
The Phantom gray is not the fastest wing color , But it has been known to slip by quickly and appear in front of faster colors at times

Uncle Fester
Motorcycle: 1996 GL-1500 Cali model 'Wing, blue in color, named Ol'Blue

Post by Uncle Fester » Mon May 02, 2016 9:46 pm

giturgun wrote:Looking at upgrading mine as well. But I am going to put the speakers in the fairing pockets. I have an 88 and will remove the storage pockets from both sides, I will have aluminum pieces cut by lazer at work and use plate speakers for the sound.I looked at a 4 x 8 3 way but have not measured yet to see if it will fit.. Amp will be a 45 watt ch and I have an old eq with bass out on it. Always wanted to bass blast on a bike just for kicks. Its just something U do not see.
Now you have me wondering, if I removed the pockets like you suggest, would 5.25" or even 6.5" speakers fit there instead ? If so, I could hook up my NUVI GPS to the stock dash speakers and hear it better.I have the amplifier out of a old 15watt cb external speaker I could drive the speakers with (8ohm load). Hmmmn
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do.
So throw off the bowlines.
Sail away from the safe harbor.
Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore,
Dream,
Discover!

Mark Twain

Dennis613l
Motorcycle: 1988 gl1500

Post by Dennis613l » Tue May 03, 2016 7:43 am

There is a fellow on ebay that sells the speaker adapter:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-Gold-Wing ... SwSdZWfnBS

A word of warning though, I'd bought a stereo adapter off of him a couple years ago, and it (and replacement) was never delivered.
Never got my money back as things had been delayed until it was too late to get refund through ebay/pay pal.

darryldevaney
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500A Aspencade

Post by darryldevaney » Tue May 03, 2016 8:23 am

I'm working on trying to fit a set of 6x9 speakers in my storage pockets. They'll sit about 1/2-3/4 inch above the flat part of the fairing, which will be what I need for a mounting platform. Hopefully in a few weeks I'll finally get the time to finish it. [Note: the speakers in the picture are not the final units, just some oddballs that were laying around my garage; also the stereo shown is not what I ended up using]

"I just wanna ride..."

wingdings
Motorcycle: Honda Goldwing gl 1989

Post by wingdings » Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:33 pm

why not stick them in the side pockets - the pockets are not good for much else !! lol - yes ?? - see pic below !!! and if you like try this for the boot trunk - click on the link - http://www.goldwingtech.info/LED/1500/TopBoxInterior/ and http://www.goldwingtech.info/SideRunning.html

- I am going to fit a COBRA MR F300 BT EU Marine Bluetooth Handset/Speakerphone for Mobile Phone buy from ebay and a Pyle PLMR17BTS AM/FM-MPX In-Dash Marine Stereo Radio SD/MMC/USB Bluetooth - which are both waterproof and half the size of the one you have in your pic - tried to fit the one like yours full size found out after making a mock up surround - that you cannot turn the handle bars onto full lock - bummer yes ?? however find a shorter one like the one I have the stuff on it is amazing and the dam thing is water proof too and with blue tooth you can put it though your helmet by one of the many head set kits too !! - same with the COBRA MR F300 BT EU Marine Bluetooth Handset/Speakerphone
that can be linked into your radio or put though your helmet too - its a stand alone unit and very easy to install and a very cheap price too !!
Attachments

JPochron
Motorcycle: 1995 Honda Goldwing GL1500 Aspencade

Post by JPochron » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:12 am

I attempted to install the Pioneer 4x6 Speakers like you did however I can't figure out how to get the speakers to fit any lower in the opening. The edge around the speaker is at least 1/4" thick and the bezel won't fit over them. Now i've got this huge opening I need to figure out how to get the speakers to fit so the bezel goes back flush. Any suggestions would be appreciated or if anyone else hat isn't has any ideas like maybe a brand of speaker thick around the edges

FM-USA
Motorcycle: mc's

Post by FM-USA » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:37 am

JPochron wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:12 am
I attempted to install the Pioneer 4x6 Speakers like you did however I can't figure out how to get the speakers to fit any lower in the opening. The edge around the speaker is at least 1/4" thick and the bezel won't fit over them. Now i've got this huge opening I need to figure out how to get the speakers to fit so the bezel goes back flush. Any suggestions would be appreciated or if anyone else hat isn't has any ideas like maybe a brand of speaker thick around the edges
Wood is easy to work with if your looking to TEST something. Make a riser ring for the speaker.
If it works and you like it as is, you can seal and paint the wood. It's not going to be a show piece, for now, functional.

Another idea.. PURE & POWERFUL.....

I'm hounded for posting helpful solutions? ARGO!!! (2012 film)
"May you have a quick & safe trip into oblivion"

Big Blue UK
Motorcycle: GL1800 Monarch

Post by Big Blue UK » Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:36 pm

giturgun wrote:
Mon May 02, 2016 8:22 pm
Always wanted to bass blast on a bike just for kicks. Its just something U do not see.
I set out to have a better amp chip, to replace Mickey Mouse chip, in the cheap as chips unit, that would not even run the Polk speakers I installed. Ended up completely re wiring system, twin 47Ah batteries, high pass filters to each speaker, 450W Rockford Fosgate amp, Polk speakers, 2 farad performance cap.

For the bass, I turned the top box into a 600W downward firing twin ported sub woofer.

If at first you don't succeed, hide the evidence.

kyleboedeker
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 Aspencade

Post by kyleboedeker » Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:51 pm

JPochron wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:12 am
Did you ever figure this out? I'm going to try putting some sony 4x6 speakers in tonight or tomorrow. I'm thinking if I can screw through to mount the tabs of the speaker from the backside of the opening, it will sit down in there far enough.

JPochron

Post by JPochron » Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:44 pm

It's not as easy as the original poster did it. You have to cut out a good porting of the plastic to get it in there. The bracket the adjusts the windshield gets in the way. I tried mounting them on the outside of the plastic but the bezel wouldn't fit properly so I cut a bit more and mounted them from the inside. On the left I was able to get 2 screws in but on the right I only got 1 screw and i'm not comfortable with it. Not sure what I can do to fit it better. I have most of the plastic off now taking it to get painted next week. let me know how you make out. I installed a Precision 2500 watt 5 channel amp in the truck. When it's complete i'll post pics

Dennis613l
Motorcycle: 1988 gl1500

Post by Dennis613l » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:32 am

I went through the similar a few years back....Polk speaker on the our corners, equalizer amp and sub-woofers in the trunk, and a marine stereo in the dash where the factory unit was.
Yeah sounds better than before....
But I am seriously considering taring it all out and replacing it with
    A Pyle or similar bluetooth / USB marine amp (they are small enough to even just place under the saddle....no trunk space lost.
      Replace the speakers with these so small waterproof portable speakers that are so common and fairly inexpensive (unless you want Bose) and quit frankly have some phenomenal sound. They cost about the same as a decent dash speaker anyhow, and the install would a lot simpler than the dash cutting I went through to put the Polks in....there should be some small enough with good enough sound to place inside the dash and passenger pillions...Sould be able to get rid of about '10 lbs' of copper wire I've got running all around the current set up that way too... ;)

Since I use the cellphone a lot more nowadays than I'd expected (spotwalla app., waze on occasion for traffic/ police, etc....), I'd use the music player to bluetooth to the amp. Don't really care about FM and will not finally get rid of the tall FM / CB antennas on the bike.

Just wondering if someone out there has tried the similar and their experiences.

kyleboedeker

Post by kyleboedeker » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:40 am

JPochron wrote:
      Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:44 pm
      It's not as easy as the original poster did it. You have to cut out a good porting of the plastic to get it in there. The bracket the adjusts the windshield gets in the way. I tried mounting them on the outside of the plastic but the bezel wouldn't fit properly so I cut a bit more and mounted them from the inside. On the left I was able to get 2 screws in but on the right I only got 1 screw and i'm not comfortable with it. Not sure what I can do to fit it better. I have most of the plastic off now taking it to get painted next week. let me know how you make out. I installed a Precision 2500 watt 5 channel amp in the truck. When it's complete i'll post pics
      I actually ended up deciding to go a different direction at the last minute and am mounting some 6.5 inch kickers in the glove compartment areas. I really didn't want to go to the trouble of removing the dash and jerry-rigging a fit for a speaker only marginally larger than the originals. So I am going to have the rears and the new speakers hooked to a 600 watt amp in the trunk and then the original speakers will be powered only by the head unit. I should have sound for days! I'll post some pics when I finish it. I actually ended up buying a new double din headunit too, so I'm going to have to fabricate some sort of housing for.

kyleboedeker

Post by kyleboedeker » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:44 am

Dennis613l wrote:
      Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:32 am
      I went through the similar a few years back....Polk speaker on the our corners, equalizer amp and sub-woofers in the trunk, and a marine stereo in the dash where the factory unit was.
      Yeah sounds better than before....
      But I am seriously considering taring it all out and replacing it with
        A Pyle or similar bluetooth / USB marine amp (they are small enough to even just place under the saddle....no trunk space lost.
          Replace the speakers with these so small waterproof portable speakers that are so common and fairly inexpensive (unless you want Bose) and quit frankly have some phenomenal sound. They cost about the same as a decent dash speaker anyhow, and the install would a lot simpler than the dash cutting I went through to put the Polks in....there should be some small enough with good enough sound to place inside the dash and passenger pillions...Sould be able to get rid of about '10 lbs' of copper wire I've got running all around the current set up that way too... ;)

Since I use the cellphone a lot more nowadays than I'd expected (spotwalla app., waze on occasion for traffic/ police, etc....), I'd use the music player to bluetooth to the amp. Don't really care about FM and will not finally get rid of the tall FM / CB antennas on the bike.

Just wondering if someone out there has tried the similar and their experiences.
          Yeah I am working on upgrading my stuff now and had a similar thought about some of those stand-alone style speakers, but ended up going with a more conventional car-audio setup. Small amp mounted in the trunk, double din head-unit, 6.5 inch speakers in the glove box areas and still retaining the in dash speakers as well. Though now I'm kind of regretting my timing. I've got my bike all torn apart in the garage and it's sunny and 75 here in St. Louis. I should be riding!

kyleboedeker

Post by kyleboedeker » Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:16 am

JPochron wrote:
          Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:44 pm
          Here's how the 6.5" kickers turned out mounting them in the fairing pockets. I added some weather stripping tape under the mount board I cut to fit the panel and then also under each speaker. I'm pretty happy with the sound! Now my issue is that the rear speakers sound like crap with the bass pumped up on the amp. Actually, I think I might have blown one of the rears! So I'm torn on whether to find a pair of 4 inch speakers that can handle some power or just put some more cheap pioneers in there and hook it up directly to the stereo.

Then the next step is figuring out a housing for the double din stereo. That's going to be tricky, but I have some ideas.
          Attachments

DenverWinger
          Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100 STD Vetter (2005-)
          1993 GL1500 Aspencade (2017-)
          1983 Trav-Lite Camper (2010-)
          Past rides
          1972 CL350 (1980-1988) sold
          1978 Suzuki GS550 (1985-2005) sold
          1977 GL1000 (2002-2006) sold

Post by DenverWinger » Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:20 pm

Find a shop that deals in Professional PA gear, speakers and amps, speaker re-coning etc, I bet they could sell you a couple 100 μFD Non-polarized capacitors typically used as a midrange crossover cap. You wire these in series with your rear speakers and the capacitors will block the bass from going to these small speakers, allowing you to run them on the amplifier....
          ♫ 99 Little Bugs in the Code, ♪
          ♪ 99 Bugs in the Code. ♫ :(
          ♫ Take one down, Patch it around, ♪
          ♫ 127 Little Bugs in the Code. ♫ ♪ :shock:

~Mark

JPochron

Post by JPochron » Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:52 pm

I'm going to pull the 4x6 speakers out of the bezel and maybe put those or maybe install 6x9" speakers in the pockets. I think the oval speakers might look better than the round as the cover for the speakers should just about take up the whole area where the pockets are. Did you leave the plastic pockets in place or take them out. I'm thinking the frame of the pockets would strengthen it. Whoever owned this bike before me damaged a great deal of the plastic fairing. I'm having to replace a great deal of it which now means a paint job. I pulled the top trunk off only to find the bottom cracked from front to back. Also where the tabs were broken off the idiot used silicone to hold it in place a real mess.And the front cowl fairing where the pocket is they broke a major support there and that would be expensive to replace.

kyleboedeker

Post by kyleboedeker » Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:14 pm

I took the pockets out. I was going to leave then but they slant so severely on one side that I couldn't get the magnet far enough down in there. You could maybe just cut the pocket price? That way you still have the support of the frame?

JPochron

Post by JPochron » Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:07 am

that's what i'm thinking. i haven't decided if i'm going to use the 4x6 I have mounted now in the dash or go with 6x9 or round 6.5. Still working on taking the plastic completely off except for the front fender and cowl. The Royal Pearl Magenta is an expensive paint because of the Pearl so I was thinking of changing the color to either black or blue but that would entail a great deal more work and end up costing more anyhow. People just don't know how to remove the plastic i've never seen so many broken tabs and cracks on a bike. The main reason for needing the needing the pocket frame is to provide support at the bottom of the left pocket where they broke the plastic. To repair that would mean purchasing the entire front cowl and that's expensive.

wingdings
          Motorcycle: Honda Goldwing gl 1989

Post by wingdings » Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:32 pm

Here are other ppl's attemps - have look at these vids -

viewtopic.php?t=35772

Should give you a few idea's - ?? hope this helps in your quest there too !! - :D :D :D :D :D