4"x6" speakers in the dash?

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
millerized
Motorcycle: 99 GL1500SE

Re: 4"x6" speakers in the dash?

Post by millerized » Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:23 pm

Well, life happens.
Snow, work, my engraver blowing the 3 axis control board, life in general.
Snow moving is done until it's time to do more.
Work is a 7-3:30 deal, with weekends free.
Engraver...well, if it weren't for a single job, I'd not even be looking at it.

Pile of parts coming to do some maintenance while I've got a lot of the plastic off (filters, belts, tensioners, shifter oil seal and clutch seal. Replace a few screws. Lots of little things. Oh, and going to send the valve covers out for powdercoating. Haven't decided what color yet.
Stereo is caught in the snow between here and Cincinnati, so we're backing things up a bit. Gotta get the engraving job out before I do anything else. Luckily I 'built' it the first time, just a matter of rewiring it for the new board.

millerized

Post by millerized » Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:17 pm

Stereo here today. Wow. $21 definitely doesn't get you much....although I didn't expect much either, so I'm not really disappointed. I have yet to hook it up to anything to see how it works, but it's more about looks than substance. It's a faceplate with the tuner circuitry and a amplifier circuit board in the back, connected by a ribbon cable. The rest is empty space. Not good, but not really bad either. If this is how they're made, maybe a better radio would be the same inside? Not sure, and I'm not going to spend $$$ to rip apart a brand new Pioneer. Yet. That might happen. Depends on what I can come up with as a radio plate bracket.

The 'bracket', built overseas...well. Lets just say it'll require a lot of filing and fitting to make it look good in the 'dash' of the wing. I won't say crude...but...well....it's crude. Unfortunately, or fortunately...depends on your abilities, it's the only thing out there that's available. If you want to make your own, have at it. A better design will make you a fortune. Might be where I'm headed here shortly. Hollow out the original radio and work within the confines of the original box it came in. Now that I've seen the thing, I'm not sure it was an investment worth making. $138.95....really not seeing it.

The bracket will need some serious work... cut to size, file to fit and paint to match kinda work. I've already had to take nearly 1/8" off the cassette protrusion bottom just to get it to slide up and into position...and I'm still about 3/16" short of a good fit on the rest of it. The side to side measurement is bigger than the original opening in the dash, meaning I either file the Honda plastic or the bracket to make it fit. Since I am doing everything so it can go back to stock if I decided to, nothing on Mother Honda is getting filed. Again, cut, file, paint. Not sure that's going to happen. The 3.5mm aux input to the stock board is looking like a better option each time I look at this mess.

Good thing is that I've got a few weeks of other work on the bike before I get serious about the stereo. A full plastic off check of everything under the skin few weeks. Figure she's 16yrs old, time to turn her into a lady. I'll either find something else that will fit perfectly, whack this bracket into something that will fit better than what it does, gut the/a stock radio and build something inside it, or go back to the stock radio and save up for another bike with my existing improvements.

millerized

Post by millerized » Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:58 am

Amazing what folks will do for quality sound and variety of both input sources and vehicle mounting options. ;)
http://www.vintagevibes.net/Stereos/secretaudio.htm#SST
I'm going to do some measuring of the gauge pod...if the head fits in/on it, this is the direction I'm going. You can even get a Bluetooth interface (model# BluKit) for hands free as well as interfacing some devices.
Payday is coming.... :lol:

darryldevaney
Motorcycle: 1996 GL1500A Aspencade

Post by darryldevaney » Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:25 pm

Reading your comments makes me glad I decided not to order that radio installation kit. Looks like a great idea but...

I don't know if you noticed my first post on the forum:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=31590

but it was inspired by your efforts. One of the reasons I decided to go that way is that I can get replacement plastics off ebay relatively cheap for the things that I decided to modify. Hopefully by this weekend I'll have it completed and will post final pictures.

Also, from glancing at the stereo you linked most recently, it doesn't look like a marine rated unit, so I'd be wary of using it where it might get wet.
"I just wanna ride..."

millerized

Post by millerized » Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:27 pm

darryldevaney wrote:Reading your comments makes me glad I decided not to order that radio installation kit. Looks like a great idea but...

I don't know if you noticed my first post on the forum:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=31590

but it was inspired by your efforts. One of the reasons I decided to go that way is that I can get replacement plastics off ebay relatively cheap for the things that I decided to modify. Hopefully by this weekend I'll have it completed and will post final pictures.

Also, from glancing at the stereo you linked most recently, it doesn't look like a marine rated unit, so I'd be wary of using it where it might get wet.
I really wanted the mounting kit to be 'all that'. With some work, it will work, but....A light coat of black paint and it'll go on ebay.

I liked your using the cover. That opens up another space to use if my next trick fails.

I just planned on using that cheap radio as a test fit 'right now'. If it worked, I'd come up with something later. If it worked and didn't short out, I'd get away pretty cheap. If it didn't work, I get away pretty cheap and can stick it in the girlfriends car (1992 Chevy Lumina...tin cans and string are an improvement over what she has now)

Now that the regular DIN style radio is out of the picture, I'm on to different formats. Just don't want to spend $200 and up to put tunes on the bike...I've got them there now....just not in the format I'd like. Soul searching options right now...might just go back to a stock radio with the aux input. Seems the best option right now.

More as I figure it out.

darryldevaney

Post by darryldevaney » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:36 pm

A year or so ago before I finally decided to bite the bullet for what I really wanted, I tried doing the modification to the radio to add the aux input but it never would work for me, so I ended up getting a powered, in-line radio transmitter. The unit I bought at Best Buy had an antenna in and out, so I found where the bike's antenna mated with a connector under the passenger seat, and inserted the antenna in/out of the device there (I put the unit in the RH passenger armrest storage compartment). Wired it up to power, then tuned the radio to the selected frequency of the unit, and, voila, I had an aux input. It worked great unless I happened to be near a real radio station that was using the same frequency (in travelling all over the mid-west the only place I had an issue was 10 miles from my house, near downtown Wichita). I would have stayed with that setup but really wanted Bluetooth capability, which my new Infinity unit has.

Good luck with your project. I can officially say this phase of mine is finished!!
"I just wanna ride..."

millerized

Post by millerized » Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:10 pm

I think I'm going to need to change my native American name from 'Runs with Sissors' to 'Runs with ....Squirrel!' ... :lol:
But this one is my thread. so ;)

Just looked at the Clarion CMS2.
http://www.clarion.com/us/en/products-p ... rine/CMS2/
This fits the bill nearly exactly with what I'm looking for.
Just a shade over 3x5" with a low 'height' (being a surface mount as well as gimbal (RAM) mounting)
It'll 'just' fit onto my gauge panel that I hadn't decided which gauges to put in yet ;)

Waterproof/Marine stereo for liquid issues.
Remote mounted brain box, that can be stuck right next to the amp in the saddlebag
Sirius satellite interface, since I already run Sirius on the bike,
USB in as file 'sharing' or use as a charging output for your device.
Bluetooth (Apple or Android)
RCA aux input
True 4 channel output (front/Rear) and even a set of RCA subwoofer outs

All that and I can keep the existing radio, CB, intercom. Front/rear fader, tuning controls will be dead, but....

So far, so good. Bit more research, but I think I'm nearly there. Bit pricier than I'd hoped for, but....it just might be the perfect solution.

darryldevaney

Post by darryldevaney » Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:45 pm

I spend my life chasing squirrels!!

That Clarion setup looks perfect for you for sure. I don't know if I've ever seen that instrument cluster panel before but it sure opens the doors for possibilities. Have fun!!
"I just wanna ride..."

Sempai
Motorcycle: '94 GL1500SE
'14 GL1800F6B

Post by Sempai » Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:35 pm

Where does one find that ignition switch cover?? I believe I'd like to get my hands on one!!
Keep the rubber side down.

millerized

Post by millerized » Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:44 pm

It came off of ebay. I'll get a link when I get home. I think I was searching GL1500 dash. It's well made, outside of my faded plastic being a contrast, it looks like it was made by Honda for the GL1500. Guy selling them has several colors to match the plastic on several years. This guy needs to make radio replacement panels ;)
I'd planned on a Turbo, Boost or Nitrous gauge to put in there...just to turn a few heads. Then I started looking at stereo replacements, and tried to find something to fit on/in it. I'll have to measure again tonight, but the Clarion looks to be nearly perfect side to side, and probably about 1/2-3/4" taller than the gauge panel...but otherwise good enough. IIRC the panel is 5.5x2.75 worth of usable space, but again, I'll have to measure it to be sure.

FM-USA
Motorcycle: mc's

Post by FM-USA » Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:02 pm

Sempai wrote:Where does one find that ignition switch cover?? I believe I'd like to get my hands on one!!
Ebay $27.00
Honda GL1500 Gauge Panels

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-GL1500-Ga ... 1579884009
I'm hounded for posting helpful solutions? ARGO!!! (2012 film)
"May you have a quick & safe trip into oblivion"

millerized

Post by millerized » Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:15 pm

FM-USA wrote:
Sempai wrote:Where does one find that ignition switch cover?? I believe I'd like to get my hands on one!!
Ebay $27.00

That's the guy. Check his other items for sale if the color isn't what you're looking for.
They're well made and look like they belong.

FM-USA

Post by FM-USA » Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:21 pm

I looked at those a while back, like about 4 years ago.
Dun't care for the dedicated 2 round areas, rather have a flat rectangle for other thangs.

millerized

Post by millerized » Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:22 pm

millerized wrote:
FM-USA wrote:
Ebay $27.00

That's the guy. Check his other items for sale if the color isn't what you're looking for.
They're well made and look like they belong.
Just checked the Clarion's size vs the panel using a 3x5 post-it. Clarion is 5.25 x 3.25...and think this will be SWEET!!!!
Looks like I've got a winner. With the way the thing mounts, the wires will be hidden under the gauge panel, and it won't be sticking up too much.
Now we wait for payday....

Sempai
'14 GL1800F6B

Post by Sempai » Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:33 pm

I really like this piece. However, I think I agree with FM-USA, the double bubble shape would be of no use to me. I think I'm going to order one and build up the void between the bubbles. Then I'll cast a mold of it and then pour in a 2 part epoxy, when it sets, it'll be exactly what I'll want...I could very likely reshape the unit and cast one big enough to hold your Clarion unit with almost zero overlap, or underlap as it pertains to your situation Millerized.
Last edited by Sempai on Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FM-USA

Post by FM-USA » Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:38 pm

Is there that much space by the key panel for a Std size radio? Angled of coarsesesesss.

OOPS, thinking again.
That panel is too EZ to remove. With it missing it look terrible. Have to have a second panel as a filler.
Hummmmm, probably not.

millerized

Post by millerized » Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:09 pm

FM-USA wrote:Is there that much space by the key panel for a Std size radio? Angled of coarsesesesss.

OOPS, thinking again.
That panel is too EZ to remove. With it missing it look terrible. Have to have a second panel as a filler.
Hummmmm, probably not.
No...I wish it was wide enough to fit a DIN sized radio. If it were, I'd already be rockin'.
It's only about 6" wide, and I don't know how much you can gain without interfering with the steering.

I 'found' some money (sorry piggy bank) so the radio is on order. Also got the '4yr' warranty with it...just in case it decides to misbehave on me. Will be here Saturday, and we'll get some more photo's at that point.
Right now, I've 84 pages of 'changing out the timing belts' by WingAdmin to work on....I'm on page page 54...it's riveting! :)
Belts tonight, timing wheel if I can fit it in time wise ;) and both the shifter seal and clutch slave seal tomorrow night. Spring is right around the corner!

FM-USA

Post by FM-USA » Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:03 pm

. . . spring. . . corner. . . oooohhhh man.

HEY, look who's checking on spring!

Sempai
'14 GL1800F6B

Post by Sempai » Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:12 pm

Referring to the pic with the faceplate dangling away from the stereo's box:
It is quite possible to effectively lengthen the ribbon of wires attaching the faceplate to the stereo. Doing this would allow you to mount JUST the faceplate to your modified dash, and the box portion could be tucked away in the trunk or a saddle bag.

millerized

Post by millerized » Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:53 am

Sempai wrote: Referring to the pic with the faceplate dangling away from the stereo's box:
It is quite possible to effectively lengthen the ribbon of wires attaching the faceplate to the stereo. Doing this would allow you to mount JUST the faceplate to your modified dash, and the box portion could be tucked away in the trunk or a saddle bag.
That was one of the thoughts. BUT, everything from waterproofing to just a crap stereo to start with...just didn't have what I was looking for. My old Pioneers only had 12 connection points, so a 6pr wire would have done nicely. BUT...they just didn't have what I was looking for feature wise. Satellite AND aux input AND 4 channel RCA AND USB AND Bluetooth....I was hoping I'd find something else, but that stereo was a $21 teaching tool.

Oh, the Clarion I decided on also has weather band. Just one more thing I can unpack from the trailer and the bike (yes, a weather radio in each). ALWAYS have a weather radio if you camp...or out traveling. Just adds 'something' knowing what the weather is going to be.

I'll probably just build this cheap radio into the trailer now...just because :lol:

millerized

Post by millerized » Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:18 am

WOOHOO!!! I might be biased, but I think it's a perfect fit for what it is and where it's mounted.
Big enough buttons, small enough to be out of the way, enough features to make it worth the while. The 'head' unit is right around 3x5" and fits nicely on the Firecreek/Ebay gauge panel. The brain box will fit into the space where the amp sits perfectly as well. I'll look inside the brain and see if I can mount it to the top of it, or if I have to mount it nearby.
Right now...I think I'm on the right track.

Lots of other maintenance before I get to running this...I've got the carbs off and changing out coolant hoses, timing belts and tensioners, leaky shifter seal, clutch slave seals and cup, carb rebuild...About $400 in small parts being slid off and new ones installed. Just what I do with a "new to me" used bike before I make long trips. Even replaced all 6 of the exhaust flange studs and nuts...because I sheared 3 of the 6 off removing the exhaust to check behind it. Probably do the other side as well when I get to it.

BUT, this stereo is starting to take form.

darryldevaney

Post by darryldevaney » Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:05 pm

Looking good!! Can't wait to see the whole thing put back together.
"I just wanna ride..."

millerized

Post by millerized » Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:13 pm

darryldevaney wrote:Looking good!! Can't wait to see the whole thing put back together.
You?!!! I'm getting scared here.
Spring is right around the corner, and I'm still running hoses!

millerized

Post by millerized » Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:01 am

5hrs from the last part arriving until it was rideable. Had to wait a few days because of the weather, but finally I got it out and tested today.

One thing that I'll miss with the stock stereo...the volume increasing with speed. You have to manually change it. The handlebar mounted controls probably aren't going to be missed that much, but I don't do a lot of setting changes during the ride. Volume up, station on the Sirius selected, off we go.

Other than that, it's just modifications to the bass/mid/treble settings and we'll be golden. Everything works perfectly right now.
I'll get some photo's of the final work as it sits right now.

I'm still considering a remote input for the passenger, with 3.5mm and USB inputs. That way she can do all the music programming from a phone or mp3. I have an extra one (the other is in the front left pocket for the satellite radio and the GPS inputs as well as a memory stick if I get that crazy)

One of the last and final things I'm working on (right now ;) ) is the modification of decent quality gamers headsets to be the in helmets, and tied into the bikes stock stereo system. That way we'll have new music independent of the intercom and CB systems. She'll have PTT capabilities as well as mic muting...just in case she decides to start singing again. :shock: (I hate when she does that...I start looking around for an injured animal!)

All in all, been fun, good learning experience with Honda's methods of motorcycle electronics :roll: , and will be a great addition to what's now (after all the maintenance in the past months and change) a perfect running bike. Miles...here we come!

(photo's as I get a chance...working 14-18hr days right now...not so much fun and little time to do anything BUT work)

sm0ikr
Motorcycle: 1989 GL1500

Post by sm0ikr » Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:20 am

Almost there. Thanks for encouraging me. Spring or not but riding time is here soon.
[img]

[/img]

Yours is a little different than mine. But they sound better than stock.

Rubber side down.
George