Fuel mileage question

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
T_birdman
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000 (gave to a friend)
1981 GL1100I (Blew up engine @ 231K Mi./ My fault)
1985 GL1200A (Burned)
1999 GL1500A (Burned)
1993 GL1500A (Red Recently in Accident))

Re: Fuel mileage question

Post by T_birdman » Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:11 pm

FM-USA wrote:Spoken like a true harleyist.

NO giggle, just speaking realistically.
I'm 245 @ near 6' and a 250cc single has lots of torque. It gets me moving quick and up to 95 mph.
In my life I owned 1 Harley, an old school Sportster and I spent almost as much time keeping the P.O.S. running as I did riding it, and sold it within a year in favor of my first REAL bike, a used 1975 GL1000, bare-bones bike that I loved so much I dumped all my pay as a Army Corporal to add a Vetter fairing with the fairing stereo, also replaced the Honda book rack in favor of the new at the time Hondaline detachable bags and trunk. I drove that bike for over 12 years until I got my next bike, an 83 GL1100. I gave the 75 to a buddy to use when the bike had over 500K miles on it and he drove it for years after that. Then I got a 1985 GL1200A which I still have, and now I'm enjoying my 1999 GL1500A, so what I'm wondering is how you can call me a "TRUE HARLEYIST" without even knowing me, is that something you can explain to me?

T_birdman
1985 GL1200A (Burned)
1999 GL1500A (Burned)

Post by T_birdman » Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:47 pm

Big Bob wrote:My turn to jump in........my '96 aspencade with 138,400 miles also reacts the same as what everyone else has stated. I can go average of 175-200 miles on a tank of gas before I need to fill. Best ever mileage was just over 45mpg, average is around 36-37mpg and normal for afternoon cruising is about 40mpg. That mileage (40mpg) is achieved when keeping speeds around 65mph or less on the highway, or just below 3,000 rpm's. Mileage drastically drops when rpm's are over 3,000 and highway speeds over 65mph. Other factors are wind, passenger, gear, accesive acceleration (lead wrist), humidity, heat, all have contributed to bad mileage. So keep up on the maintenance and ride on, yes your mileage will always be slightly different with these factors, just enjoy the ride! :D

Bob
The topic sure has brought a lot of viewpoints to the forefront, but you sum it up very well, "Just enjoy the ride!" Thanks for that Bob! :D

T_birdman
1985 GL1200A (Burned)
1999 GL1500A (Burned)

Post by T_birdman » Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:02 pm

WingAdmin wrote:My GL1500 will do 45 mpg pretty much all day long at 65 mph. As my speed increases beyond 65 mph, the mileage falls off like Niagara Falls. 80 mph will barely get me 30 mpg.

That said, when I'm on my bike, I'm on it because I love riding. Fuel efficiency is not foremost in my mind. I ride at what I consider a safe speed for the road I am on, and when I need gas, I stop and fill up. I don't often even bother figuring out my mileage.
dingdong forced me to do the math and 30 MPG at my breakneck wrist-twisting really isn't that bad, but I can get better..."Hi I'm the Birdman and I have a lead right wrist! (The crowd yells back.."HI BIRDMAN!")".

And thanks WingAdmin for posting this question in the newsletter, I'm sure I've been chastised enough times about my sleeping habits and love of speed enough to actually make myself change, lol! Just kidding, I've learned quite a lot, loving this site!

FM-USA
Motorcycle: mc's

Post by FM-USA » Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:05 pm

T_birdman wrote:
FM-USA wrote:Spoken like a true harleyist.

NO giggle, just speaking realistically.
I'm 245 @ near 6' and a 250cc single has lots of torque. It gets me moving quick and up to 95 mph.
In my life I owned 1 Harley, an old school Sportster and I spent almost as much time keeping the P.O.S. running as I did riding it, and sold it within a year in favor of my first REAL bike, a used 1975 GL1000, bare-bones bike that I loved so much I dumped all my pay as a Army Corporal to add a Vetter fairing with the fairing stereo, also replaced the Honda book rack in favor of the new at the time Hondaline detachable bags and trunk. I drove that bike for over 12 years until I got my next bike, an 83 GL1100. I gave the 75 to a buddy to use when the bike had over 500K miles on it and he drove it for years after that. Then I got a 1985 GL1200A which I still have, and now I'm enjoying my 1999 GL1500A, so what I'm wondering is how you can call me a "TRUE HARLEYIST" without even knowing me, is that something you can explain to me?
It's the wordology you used is very similar as my loose HD friends around here.
It's the hardcore terms in puns and phrases, always putting down what I ride. "...anything under a 1000 is a toy to me, and a 250cc would be better suited for bicep curling or shot putting than riding." I'm not saying you put it/me down, ONLY referencing the wordology usage.
For decades I used to let it ride but THEY just kept on riding me so I've started retaliating, phrase wise. The Internet has given me a LOT of info in dealing with (ahem) them and now these HD idiots have backed off. I live 8 mile from Cheeseland.
Seems my Wing don't have "Cooties" anymore and they're parking next to mine, with respect. They've been seeing I ride 24/365 for the past 4 years straight now along with my huge trailer hauling with work tools, may have something to do with it. They're just "Bar hopping Hosers" and 'HD Posers", I get MUCH more out of my ride.
ANYWAYS,...
When I'm serious, I say it matter of factly. It was meant as a friendly suggestion, you're taking it beyond it's actual intent.
BTW: When "giggling" I use these... :D :) :P :twisted: :lol: ......but I didn't.

I'm hounded for posting helpful solutions? ARGO!!! (2012 film)
"Let's see how long this round will last."

T_birdman
1985 GL1200A (Burned)
1999 GL1500A (Burned)

Post by T_birdman » Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:21 pm

steveybee wrote:I bought my 1991 Gl1500 from Grimsby in Lincolnshire UK & Rode the Bike c/w Trails approx 170 miles home Near Blackpool in Lancashire at an average speed of 60 mph with a Rear Tyre Pressure of 42 psi & Front 40 psi. I averaged approx 65 mpg riding moderately with the minimum amount of throttle needed to hold my speed any downhill sections I slowly roll back the throttle just to maintain my speed.
Like most things in life you have to accept the losses with the gains if you choose to go from point A to Point B
If you choose to get there quickly you give up economy & cash it in for more speed to get there, after all it's nobody's choosing only your own.
So decide how to want your ride to go & don't expect a ride of thrift & speed combined unless someone else is paying for it.
Tyre pressures play a very important part in the overall efficiency of any motor vehicle.
Remember the trade off rule & cashing in economy for speed.
Do you want economy or speed your choice alone.

Thanks steveybee, I always check my tire pressures, but also use the 40 Lb Accupressure saftey caps for a quick check, they make it easy to be aware of tire pressure at a glance.

T_birdman
1985 GL1200A (Burned)
1999 GL1500A (Burned)

Post by T_birdman » Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:54 pm

FM-USA wrote:For decades I used to let it ride but THEY just kept on riding me so I've started retaliating, phrase wise. The Internet has given me a LOT of info in dealing with (ahem) them and now these HD idiots have backed off. I live 8 mile from Cheeseland.
Seems my Wing don't have "Cooties" anymore and they're parking next to mine, with respect. They've been seeing I ride 24/365 for the past 4 years straight now along with my huge trailer hauling with work tools, may have something to do with it. They're just "Bar hopping Hosers" and 'HD Posers", I get MUCH more out of my ride.
ANYWAYS,...
When I'm serious, I say it matter of factly. It was meant as a friendly suggestion, you're taking it beyond it's actual intent.
BTW: When "giggling" I use these... :D :) :P :twisted: :lol: ......but I didn't.

Ok, I've been witness to the Harley attitude myself, been snubbed by HD riders I've waved to on the road going the other way as well, and I work for the studios where the folks I work with are what I call "High signers" and I'm the ONLY Wing rider amongst a sea of them in our bike parking area! It sucks, so I took your comment to be along those same lines, sorry for that. I've always been a tall body builder, long hair and beard, often mistaken for either a pro wrestler by small kids or a HD biker by those I work with and these guys are quite taken back when I tell them what I ride, but the bottom line is, I told it like it is for me when referring to bikes under 1000cc, they feel like toys to me! The 1975 GL1000 I basically gave to my buddy years ago was transformed from a full on touring bike, stripped down to a "Cafe style bobber" bike by him, and I didn't even recognize it when I tried to ride it! He cut coils out of the rear springs, replaced the plush seat I had on it with a flat make-shift leather covered pan that when straddled by me, could be wiggled side to side by my calves below the knees! I felt violated, but I did give it to him! I like the old saying, "Everyone argues about what to ride, but nobody argues about riding!".

T_birdman
1985 GL1200A (Burned)
1999 GL1500A (Burned)

Post by T_birdman » Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:17 pm

WingAdmin wrote:Acceleration is the enemy of fuel economy. Accelerating uses more far more fuel than any other phase - your bike that gets 40 mpg can easily do less than 4 mpg during hard acceleration.

That said, over here where filling the tank of my GL1500 costs me under $10 (around £7), I don't really care all that much. At current petrol prices in the UK, filling my GL1500 would cost me the equivalent of around $19 (around £13), so I might start caring about my fuel economy a little bit more.

Lastly, the effect of fuel economy multiplies with distance (as does time/speed). When I rode to Orlando, it took me roughly 20 hours to ride 1100 miles. With stops for fuel and food, and an hour spent in traffic jams, it was probably 17 hours of actual riding time. That has me averaging out at 65 mph, which is pretty much correct.

If I had set my cruise control for 70 mph instead of 65 mph, it drops almost an hour and a half off of my travel time, to 15.7 hours. If I had dropped down to 60 mph, it added over an hour, to 18.3 hours.

Similarly, let's say I got 45 mpg at 65 mph. That's 24.4 gallons of fuel consumed over 1100 miles, so roughly $40 in fuel costs (assuming $1.80/gallon). If my bike drops to 40 mpg at 70 mph, that's 27.5 gallons of fuel consumed over 1100 miles, so up to $49.50 in fuel costs. Mileage drops precipitously with speed, so 75 mph could be more like 32 mpg. At 75 mph that's 34.4 gallons, and fuel costs jump up to $62.

Again, those numbers are considerably different because of the distance involved. Something to think about the next time you plan a long trip. A cross-continent trip, say from Washington DC to Los Angeles and back, is 5300 miles. The difference in fuel costs (again at $1.80/gallon) using the above mpg estimates range from $212 at 65 mph to $298 at 75 mph.
Wow, nice cost analysis! The last time I made a cross country trip was many years ago from Los Angeles to Cape Canaveral to see the Shuttle take off, returned back to Edwards AFB to see it land, but back then gas prices were nothing like they are today! Now the average trip I make is LA to Vegas, still better by bike than by car or plane with no TSA crap!

FM-USA
Motorcycle: mc's

Post by FM-USA » Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:36 pm

T_birdman:
I sold my CB500-4 back in the late 70's that I massaged into something other than OEM. Difference is I wonder what happened to it, I lost contact to the buyer.
Cut and lengthened the swing arm 3 inches, which angled the rear shocks to 45 degrees. Cut the triangle frame under the seat and lowered that top bar so the seat would lower into it. 6 inch over forks and 15 inch Ape hangers which perfectly leveled my arms. 18 inch rear wheel I laced a 16 inch rim. Painted the bike black but not the typical black, something really special. You could not see bottom, was like looking into a black hole. It took the painting industry a few decades to replicate that.
HD guys would pass me with fist raised until they seen it was a Hooondaaaa, then they flipped me their IQ. :roll:
But I kinda knew the IQ of the HD crowd since I was about 2 or 3 years old. :lol:
Stopping at the Honda shop where I bought the bike to get parts, I was talking to the owner and she said someone's looking at my bike. We went to the window and she said that Japanese guy always sketches bikes that stops by. Well a year later, 1975 or 76, Honda used my frame lowering idea exactly on one of there bikes. 1976 HD used my paint scheme on one bike but didn't replicate it's intensity, just the simple graphics. I seen not a cent for what I did, them thieves.
I put 147K on that 500-4, most miles were to Starved Rock and back and 2 big trips out west. Could say lived the life of "Then Came Bronson". I loved every moment, even the desert rides. One might say I'm doing it again on my Wing. Few others say I'M NUTS for riding in the winter. .. .. .. AHHHhhh the fond memories.

ANYWAYS: I'm glad you understood my intent. ;)
I'm hounded for posting helpful solutions? ARGO!!! (2012 film)
"Let's see how long this round will last."

Fiberthree
Motorcycle: Black 1999 GL1500SE

Post by Fiberthree » Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:19 am

T_birdman wrote:
... Like the spreadsheet idea, might try it down the road when I've gathered more data, Thanks Fiberthree
I have the starter form with most of the formulas in place if you want a copy. It is running on Microsoft XL 2007. I have tweaked it a bit to automatically calculate routine oil changes and mileage on tires, brake pads,and filters.
Ed

WARNING: All posts are subject to influence from an uncontrollable dominant sarcastic gene. Offensive remarks may or may not be intentional.

T_birdman
1985 GL1200A (Burned)
1999 GL1500A (Burned)

Post by T_birdman » Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:55 am

Fiberthree wrote:
T_birdman wrote:
... Like the spreadsheet idea, might try it down the road when I've gathered more data, Thanks Fiberthree
I have the starter form with most of the formulas in place if you want a copy. It is running on Microsoft XL 2007. I have tweaked it a bit to automatically calculate routine oil changes and mileage on tires, brake pads,and filters.
An already worked out spreadsheet for maintenance on the GL, hell yes! I bet a few folks here might like it as well, but when it's convenient for you I'll take a PM of it, thanks!! :D

steveybee
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 Aspencade
1986 GL1200 SE-i
1991 GL1500 SE

Post by steveybee » Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:50 am

I presently own seven bikes in total three being Goldwings & i work on them & maintain all of them myself, maybe it's because i like tinkering with them i know how therapeutic it is for me + i know what i've done whether it's right or wrong, only for myself i do like to understand as much as i can about what it is i'm riding + it's strengths, weaknesses & overall capabilities so i can use all this to my advantage when riding. I enjoy my rides out more knowing that it's running well & that's down to me. i know the brakes on my 1100 & 1200 aren't up to much so i always bear that in mind when riding them it's very silly not to.
My 1983 GL1100 Aspencade is a bike for which i have a certain passion it's a feeling so words fall short. This bike will do about 40mpg ridden at a steady pace falling to 35mpg or slightly less around town or thrashing it. The thing is if thrash it being a very heavy bike of 1100cc it doesn't really move noticably quicker + 5 gear Honda calls an O/D, the bike has stacks of character & i just love it, in order to get the best out of the bike in terms of a pleasurable ride you have to know how & that's all about understanding it's strengths & weaknesses & nothing else. Compared to my GL1200SE-i & Gl1500SE it's underpowered so you have to use the gearbox more when encountering moderate or steep inclines so slightly higher rev's in a lower gear will hold the speed & be slightly more economical than using a higher gear & more throttle to maintain your speed it's a trade off. the more work the engine has to do the more power it has to produce, so by using a lower gear makes it easier on the engine albeit at higher rpm only the engine is not labouring & as a result being more efficient.
It did take me quite a while for me to get it to run satisfactorally always running with an over rich mixture & regularly fouling spark plugs + i never needed to use the choke at any time to start the bike even when very cold + every time i went out on it i always ended up with a taste in my mouth & throat which is usually associated with over rich exhaust fumes, it was like this when i bought the bike & i tolerated this until one Christmas i decided to pull the carburettors off & rebuild & adjust them. The float levels where all different none of them being correct all sitting too high in the float bowls which causes a rich mixture, with everything adjusted & fitted back on the bike i syncronised the carburettors adjusted the idle mixture & speed & the bike never fouls spark plugs anymore, no more nasty taste in my mouth & it runs so much smoother & nicer, the performane isn't any different only that's missing the point here the feeling of satisfaction knowing how the this bike runs & feels on the road is down to me.
If when out on your bike riding at a steady 65mph on a level road try this if you haven't already done so, very very slowly ease off the throttle slightly & see how that affects your speed, it won't initially i can tell you, so your still holding 65mph using slightly less throttle which results in slightly lower fuel consumption, ease off a little more until you begin to slow & somewhere inbetween you'll find the least throttle position to maintain your given speed which gives you slightly more miles per tankful of petrol which can be the difference between arriving at the next filling station riding your bike or pushing it. The most practical time to use this technique is on long highway journeys at steady cruising speeds.

steveybee
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 Aspencade
1986 GL1200 SE-i
1991 GL1500 SE

Post by steveybee » Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:22 am

PS. I've kept a record of everything i do on my bikes & when including the mileages for many years as something to refer to.
I know the dates & mileages of oil & filter changes including the type of oil & filter used , brake pad replacement, in fact everything + any repairs or modifications i keep a record of my findings & exactly what i've done & parts replaced incl' part numbers etc.
With all the best intentions in the world you'll never recall it all & as you get older you'll recall even less, so when you make your personal log the thing to bear in mind is this log needs to be properly understood without any misinterpretation by a fellow motorcyclist because as the years roll by you will become that fellow motorcyclist & you need to understand what you wrote in later in life.
A liitle quotation i came up with many years ago the thing about your with memory is: "The thing you forget is that you can't remember".
I never put anything in a so called safe place because i know i'll forget where i put it, provided i can remember that i forget that is which i don't, funny stuff this memory thing, you know you forget only you don't know what it is you've forgotten spooky or what, anyone else in the same boat? i find it really funny.

David T
Motorcycle: 2006 GL1800

Post by David T » Wed Mar 09, 2016 5:53 pm

T_birdman wrote:I've taken all the info from the sheer number of very intelligent members here to bring my new to me 1500 to excellent condition, and for that I thank you all :D ! My current question is to find out what tips or tricks I might get from you all as to getting the best possible gas mileage out of my wing, even though I tend to drive a bit on the fast side. My driving habits are based on having to get to work in a bit of a hurry more times than I care to because of the flexible schedule and long hours I work. I try to get more sleep, and try to get up at a time that gives me more time, but I average 75-85 mph on the way into work, the ride home is considerably slower due to high traffic and less urgency. But what I'm hoping to learn are maintenance type tricks to improve MPG. Currently I average about 120-125 miles per tank with my lead wrist! Any ideas??
Just my .02 worth: My 98 SE averaged 30-33 MPG when I bought it, at 15k miles. The only things really made a difference for me was putting in Iridium plugs in it, which usually makes about 1 MPG difference, and I replaced the windshield.

I can't tell from the angle which shield you have, but the store I bought my bike from installed a 2" taller and 2" wider shield. I installed the copykat Tulsa shield from wingstuff.com, and my mileage went up an average of 3 1/2 to 5 MPG depending on how I rode. The 3 1/2 was riding about like you said you ride to work. Long story short, I went from 30-33 MPG to 35-38 MPG with just that. YMMV

captdecker
Motorcycle: 89 Gl1500
2006 GL1800HPN ABS
Kemp Kamp trailer

Post by captdecker » Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:57 pm

Have you though about an advanced trigger wheel?

toanogreen
Motorcycle: 2007 GL1800 with NAV and ABS, level 3
Previously Owned:
1999 GL1500 Goldwing SE
1989 GL1500 Goldwing

Post by toanogreen » Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:28 pm

captdecker wrote:Have you though about an advanced trigger wheel?
Please explain. I'm not tech savvy.

captdecker
Motorcycle: 89 Gl1500
2006 GL1800HPN ABS
Kemp Kamp trailer

Post by captdecker » Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:45 pm

If you put this in, is a great time to do timing belts too. If you don't know when last they where changed.
Check the how to do's out here.
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=9774

http://cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/gl1500_ ... /86/159787

GL1500/Valkyrie Trigger Wheel (CM1032)

Price:
$35.00
Item: CM1032 (in stock)

This is a 4 degree trigger wheel. Cyclemax has brought back this popular item. This is designed to replace the stock trigger wheel on the front of the crankshaft. It advances the timing by 4 degrees which increases the power and performance of the GL1500 engine. This wheel is a direct bolt on installation and comes with complete instructions. We recommend the use of 90 octane fuel after the installation of this product. This will fit all Goldwing GL1500's from 1988-2000 as well as Valkyrie's from 1997-2003. CM1032

toanogreen
Motorcycle: 2007 GL1800 with NAV and ABS, level 3
Previously Owned:
1999 GL1500 Goldwing SE
1989 GL1500 Goldwing

Post by toanogreen » Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:13 pm

I can't tell from the angle which shield you have, but the store I bought my bike from installed a 2" taller and 2" wider shield. I installed the copykat Tulsa shield from wingstuff.com, and my mileage went up an average of 3 1/2 to 5 MPG depending on how I rode. The 3 1/2 was riding about like you said you ride to work. Long story short, I went from 30-33 MPG to 35-38 MPG with just that. YMMV
Is that the Tour Windshield by Wingstuff?

David T
Motorcycle: 2006 GL1800

Post by David T » Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:16 am

It is the swept-back Tulsa style by Slipstreamer, right next to the Tour shield. One thing I will tell you though, it is a soft material and you will need to be very careful cleaning it. I liked it on my 1500 but it easily scratched.

afekete62
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500 SE
2000 GL1500 Aspencade

Post by afekete62 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:23 am

So I just picked up a 1999 GL1500 SE and rode it 850 miles home from IL to NJ last week.

Temperatures averaged 27 degrees F and the ride home was 95% highway.

Tank was full when I picked it up, 120 miles later it was fill up time. 4.8 gallons went in. Onto the highway, I set the cruise at 75mph, brand new tires were set at factory psi, weather was cold and windy, lots of trucks on rt 80, and I filled up every 100 miles except for one stint that took me 140 miles.

The bike ran great, no hiccups, no surging, and I stayed with the cruise control throughout the trip. I figured the bike was struggling with the weather and windblasts from the trucks. Just seems that for a long distance touring bike, the fuel capacity should be 6-8 gallons. It's just a qwirk and I will live with it.

raven41951
Motorcycle: 2016 GL1800
1994 GL1500SE (sold)
1995 VT1100 C2 Shadow ACE (Gifted)
1975 Kawasaki 500

Post by raven41951 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:45 pm

You did not give the gallons for the 100 mile legs, but from your initial fill that's 25 mpg which seems to me to be low. My 1500 would get 35 +/- on a mix of interstate, state and local roads. The best I got was on an extended run of state roads where I maintained a speed between 45 and 55 mph and that was 55 mpg. The worst was on extended highway where I got about 32 mpg at 3000 rpm which was in the 70 mph area. One thing about the 1500 is that over 3000 rpm, mileage drops rapidly so I usually kept mine near the 3000 mark, depending on traffic. The 1500 has a 6 gallon tank. The low fuel light normally comes on with 1 gallon left but you should experiment with that to find the exact point where yours comes on.

I changed all the filters, installed new plugs and the only change was better low end acceleration, mileage did not change.

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

Post by AZgl1800 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:54 pm

The factory manual psi settings are way too low.

front should be about 42-44 psi

the rear should be near the same....

IIRC, the manual suggest 32-34 psi ??

you will get better handling, and better fuel mileage with 44 psi in the tires.

at 75 mph, it should get around 30-33 mpg, and it probably has a fairly tall windscreen.
I owned two 1500s, a 94 and a 98, both had the Tulsa Tall windscreen.
overall average on a 3,000 mile trip from Florida to Arizona and a lot of zig zagging in between, resulted in 33 mpg average for the trip.

if you are curious, I have a Spreadsheet that shows how tailwinds, versus headwinds greatly effect the mpg. The attached pix is just a partial of that spreadsheet.

it shows trip spans at 85 mph, others at 45 mph.
the mpg between those two speeds is huge, from 25 to 45 mpg.

~John
What is the Forum Index?
http://bit.ly/2GnjbzV

Download it here:
http://bit.ly/2SLDNqF

Andy Cote
Motorcycle: 2015 Goldwing, basic black

Post by Andy Cote » Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:42 pm

I agree with above that mileage really falls off when you get above 70, especially with the big windshield.

Also, once you know what kind of mileage you get, don't rely on the gas gauge to tell you when to fill up. Most of them read empty way too early. If your low fuel light works correctly, that usually gives about a gallon left.
2018 Goldwing, basic black

Previously: GL1200 standard, GL1200 Interstate, GL1500 Goldwing, GL1500 Valkyrie Standard, 2000 Valkyrie Interstate, many other Hondas

afekete62
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500 SE
2000 GL1500 Aspencade

Post by afekete62 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:00 pm

Right now the bike has the stock windscreen mounted which I like. I believe that the conditions I rode home in were detrimental to the fuel mileage.

I will adjust the tire pressures accordingly. Riding the monster below 70 on the highway is a bit too boring for my taste and so I will just accept that the mileage is what it is. I will go through the bike and replace/inspect/clean every filter and also swap out the plugs so I have a new starting point for my ownership.
Attachments

DenverWinger
Motorcycle: (s)
1980 GL1100 STD Vetter (2005-)
1993 GL1500 Aspencade (2017-)
1983 Trav-Lite Camper (2010-)
Past rides
1972 CL350 (1980-1988) sold
1978 Suzuki GS550 (1985-2005) sold
1977 GL1000 (2002-2006) sold

Post by DenverWinger » Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:54 pm

That's a purty bike you got there.... !! :D :D
♫ 99 Little Bugs in the Code, ♪
♪ 99 Bugs in the Code. ♫ :(
♫ Take one down, Patch it around, ♪
♫ 127 Little Bugs in the Code. ♫ ♪ :shock:

~Mark

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800
2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

Post by AZgl1800 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:11 am

As you are new to the 1500,

there is a little trick to "fix" the fuel gauge.

Remove the seat, and the fuel pump. Set the Off/ON/Off switch to OFF.

Siphon all of the fuel out of the tank..... uh, be sure no more than 3 gallons are still in the tank, the floor will get wet if you don't. :roll:

Remove the fuel pump....
Position yourself to the left side of the bike, reach into the tank opening,
and towards the front left side.

You will find the float and float-arm.

Now that you know where it is, put in a measured 3.0 gallons of fuel.

Turn Ignition key to ON, do not try to start.

Reach into the tank opening with your right hand, and raise/lower the float arm to get a feel for where the float needs to be so that the gauge reads exactly 1/2 tank.

Bend the float arm so that the gauge will read 1/2 tank when you release the float.

Job 1 done.

put it all back together and enjoy.

Full will last a long time, almost 100 miles.
1/2 tank = 3.0 gallons
1/4 tank = 1.5-1.8 gallons
1/8 tank = 1.25 gallons
Empty = 1 or 2 quarts of fuel... best you be in front of a gas pump.

for me, the Fuel Light comes on at 1/8 tank. more or less.
Close enough for guvmint work.

this will give you an instantaneous knowledge of "how much" gas is left in the tank.

I have run out of fuel with only 145 miles on the Odometer.... Headwinds and wide open throttle.

and, I have run 225 miles on the next tank before filling up.
The odometer is just not reliable enough to gauge where you are....

~John
What is the Forum Index?
http://bit.ly/2GnjbzV

Download it here:
http://bit.ly/2SLDNqF