Speedometer

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
Sprice
Motorcycle: 1998 GL1500SE

Speedometer

Post by Sprice »

I recently removed my front wheel to change the tire. After reinstallation, my speedometer did not work. I pulled it off again, reinstalled it and it worked for a little while (a trip to Walmart). After backing out of the parking space and heading home I noticed it not working. I have tested the cable using a drill and it works fine. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you all in advance.

Fiberthree
Motorcycle: Black 1999 GL1500SE

Re: Speedometer

Post by Fiberthree »

Does the odometer still work?
The reason I ask that is mine has also been acting up. It still registers the mileage and I can see it slowly revolve but there are times when I have to tap the cluster and then the needle will jump up and read correctly. Sort of like it is stuck at the bottom and needs a nudge.
Ed

WARNING: All posts are subject to influence from an uncontrollable dominant sarcastic gene. Offensive remarks may or may not be intentional.

Sprice

Post by Sprice »

Yes, when I tested the cable it worked.

Dusty Boots
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade
2013 Victory Cross Country Tour

Post by Dusty Boots »

I have to ask this, but you do have the speedometer cable fastened to the speedometer gear on the front axle with the screw, right?

If your inner cable is good and doesn't bind and the little tab on the end of the speedometer gear is good (not broken), then your speedometer gear is most likely the culprit.

You can save quite a few dollars by just replacing the plastic speedometer gear, (part # 44806-MT2-003) rather than the whole assembly. (Parts 11 & 10 respectively in this parts fiche - http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche.com ... 0-%20FRONT )

Just remove the speedometer gear assembly and carefully pry out the old plastic gear, clean up the box, making sure there are the two thin washers/shims there, pack some grease in there and install the new gear and add some more grease. Then reinstall on the bike.

After 170,000+ mi, mine was worn out and the speedometer quit working, so I just replaced the plastic gear.

Sprice

Post by Sprice »

Thanks, Dusty. I will look at that. I also thought maybe the rubber pieces on the drive ring may or may not be there. I plan to check that at the same time. Thanks again!

TAZZ
Motorcycle: 1997 Honda GL1500se
1968 Honda CL350 Scramble,
1970Honda 750k,1976 Suzuki GT550,
1979 Kawasaki 1000st, 1983 Suzuki GS1150se
1986 Kawasaki Ninja 1000R
1981 Honda CBX (STILL have it NOT for SALE)
1982 Honda GL1100 Aspencade 1994 Yamaha700

Post by TAZZ »

Hey guys since we are here on speedometer goes your speedometer gauge jump up and down under 15mile then pass 15miles is steady cause my does that I grease the cable good and NO help what can be the cause of this and how do we(you) FIX IT if you had this problem.

FM-USA
Motorcycle: mc's

Post by FM-USA »

TAZZ wrote:Hey guys since we are here on speedometer goes your speedometer gauge jump up and down under 15mile then pass 15miles is steady cause my does that I grease the cable good and NO help what can be the cause of this and how do we(you) FIX IT if you had this problem.
ONE of TWO culprits.
I had both of the following issues on different occasions around 175K.
Speedo gear is becoming worn or cable is kinked usually near the fairing wind baffle. If kinked, even slightly, it's best to order new innards and outtards. They're reasonably inexpensive.
The speedo gear wears in at the gears (no bearing) pins. Once worn the gear teeth don't mesh right and this puts more & more side pressure on the two pins.
Mine went under the dissection grinder since it was being a real BUGGER. I HAD TO KNOW WHY it made me remove the front wheel 5 times this past spring. :x
I'm hounded for posting helpful solutions? ARGO!!! (2012 film)
"Let's see how long this round will last."

Jetfighter3
Motorcycle: 1993 gl 1500A aspencade

Post by Jetfighter3 »

If you replace the gear only , what grease should you use? or if the unit is not giving you problems but you want to prolong its life would taking it apart ,cleaning and re-lubing it be beneficial ?

bellboy40
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE Candy Spectra Red

Post by bellboy40 »

If you take it apart to clean and lube, inspect the gear for wear. If it is worn, I would replace it while you have it out in your hands. I just used some wheel bearing grease on the gear and then installed it and put some more grease around it. If you need a new gear, here is one place to get it.
https://cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/gl1500 ... ear/379331

Jetfighter3

Post by Jetfighter3 »

Thanks , have a great 4th of July if possible!

FM-USA

Post by FM-USA »

I used wheel grease in the wheels speedo gear but I ride year round and found that grease gets REALLY stiff in cold weather. Come spring I had to replace said gear after the teeth stripped.
I now pack it with a light weight/viscosity silicone grease. 3+ years now no issues, even down to minus 21*F.

bellboy40

Post by bellboy40 »

Yes, I guess that could be a problem in the great white north. Down here in South Alabama we don't have any such problem so the wheel bearing grease is fine here. I can't tell where he is located so maybe a lighter grease would be better for him.

FM-USA

Post by FM-USA »

bellboy40 wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:56 pm
Yes, I guess that could be a problem in the great white north. Down here in South Alabama we don't have any such problem so the wheel bearing grease is fine here. I can't tell where he is located so maybe a lighter grease would be better for him.
OH!!! Don't use MolyB paste or similar, it eats up the plastic gear like sand.

Jetfighter3

Post by Jetfighter3 »

Thanks for all the great advice! Very helpful and I welcome any other options and facts . I do have a teflon grease but wasn't sure if it would be suitable.

bellboy40

Post by bellboy40 »

I just looked where I should have checked the first time... in the Honda service manual. It says for the speedometer gearbox to use Multipurpose grease and also on the following items.

Steering head bearings
Steering head bearing dust seal
Brake lever pivot
Clutch lever pivot
Speedometer gearbox
Swing arm pivot bearings and dust seals
Front and rear wheel bearings
Front and rear wheel bearing dust seal lips
Throttle grip sliding surface
Center stand pivot
Side stand pivot
Brake pedal pivot
Windshield adjuster tension plate pivot
Reverse drum circumference
Reverse drum pivot

Jetfighter3

Post by Jetfighter3 »

Thumbs up for the info! I'm going to get right on it!