1988-2000 honda Goldwing gl1500 replacement stereo!

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
wingdings
Motorcycle: Honda Goldwing gl 1989

1988-2000 honda Goldwing gl1500 replacement stereo!

Post by wingdings » Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:19 pm

Hi all saw this on you tube - so just passing it on !!! - click on the link - and watch -

1988-2000 Honda Goldwing gl1500 replacement stereo! ( information is king when working on your wing !!!! )

intro for the vid is below -

I bought a 1988 low mileage honda goldwing and hate the orginal stereo system! I thought of a newer upgraded way to get a stereo in there. At one time there use to be a guy who built plastic mounts for regular car stereo, I cant find them, I heard he was overseas, some where! Dont want to spend any time looking for him, here's the solution. I got a 18 guage 12" X12" piece of sheet metal. And then bought a extra radio plastic (Im going to clean and paint the new plastic). As in the video I made a cardboard cutout and have the dimentions (measurments) on it. 8 3/8" width to the front, 5 15/16 length,and it narrows down to 7 3/4" width before it bends down (around 30 degrees) 2" long X 7 3/4 width. The side bends are around a 70 degree bend (maybe a smidge more) they are 5 15/16 long by 1 1/4 wide. The front side bends need to take a" pie cut out", its 1 1/4 by the bend and narrows down to13/16 at the end of the 2'' bend. Another reason I got the 2nd piece of radio plastic is I took it to were the metal bender (brake) was and test fitted the piece to the plastic. It was actually easier that way. The stereo Im going to use is used on boats and is called a "guage stereo". There round and go in a tachometer guage hole. Usally 3'' to 3 1/2'' in size. Im going to have a stereo with Bluetooth, so I can install a bluetooth headset into my helmet and stream music into there. They (marine stereo) usally have a USB plug, Im going to mount my USB plug up near the dash so I can plug in a "jump drive" of my saved music. I might take the old stereo cover and put a hinge on the back of it and use it as a stereo cover. Also I will replace all the 4" speakers with waterproof speakers and put behind the speakers the foam baffles (look like cups). On the wiring I will tap into the exsiting wiring harness , theres many diagrams out there on what wire does what. This will bring the stereo system into modern times and sound! Thanks good luck!

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade.
2003 - GL1800A

Re: 1988-2000 honda Goldwing gl1500 replacement stereo!

Post by MikeB » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:11 pm

I hope he knows what he is doing electronically. There is a lot more going on in that radio head than just AM/FM tunes.
This might be interesting to follow just to see how it all turns out for him and what he ends up with at the end.
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

wingdings

Post by wingdings » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:36 pm

yeah will be nice to see if it all works out - I myself have opted to install a stand alone blue tooth set up - COBRA MR F300 BT EU Marine

Bluetooth Handset/Speakerphone for Mobile Phone - that way your not messing with the radio - however I have seen this done on other wings so cannot be that hard to do yes ??

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade.
2003 - GL1800A

Post by MikeB » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:53 pm

I see that his GL1500 has a CB radio and is probably usable. The CB audio goes through the radio and the intercom system which allows communication between the rider and passenger is part of the radio head. I'd be real interested to know what kind of work around he has planned for those systems.

I notice you do not have a CB radio and since you are in the UK, that probably was not an option for you. Did you route your intercom through your new radio system?

Anyway, the Intercom and the CB go through the radio head. He will have to know a way to integrate audio systems into his new set up. Hopefully he already has a plan.
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

wingdings

Post by wingdings » Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:03 pm

the one I brought is a stand alone unit - that you fit independent of all the other stuff on the bike - it uses blue tooth - so as long as you have a blue tooth head set in your helmit - it will work just fine !! .. on its own - you can buy the set on ebay cost you about 80 bucks you wire it from the live side of your ignition ...

Cobra Marine MR F300 BT EU Waterproof Bluetooth Headset. 

Wirelessly Pairs to Your Mobile Phone For Phone Calls 
Wirelessly Stream & Control Music From Your Smart Phone 
Blocks Background Noise

spiralout
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000 (gone)
1980 GL1100I (with '77 1000 engine)
1996 GL1500 SE

Post by spiralout » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:59 pm

wingdings wrote: I myself have opted to install a stand alone blue tooth set up - COBRA MR F300 BT EU Marine

Bluetooth Handset/Speakerphone for Mobile Phone - that way your not messing with the radio
wingdings wrote:the one I brought is a stand alone unit - that you fit independent of all the other stuff on the bike - it uses blue tooth - so as long as you have a blue tooth head set in your helmit - it will work just fine !!
I've seen you plug this BT handset a few times. I've read the product description and am still not sure how you'd use this. It looks to me like it's an external BT speaker for your cell phone that has music control capabilities. Do you have this and a BT headset paired to your phone and use it to control the phone's music stream playback or do you use it as a BT speaker? Either way, I can't see any advantage of it unless it's used to control music playback in inclement weather because it's waterproof. If you already have a BT helmet headset, you can make/receive calls already so what's the use of this other than to control playback? Elaborate on the pros of this, please.

wingdings

Post by wingdings » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:32 am

each to there own !! for every problem the are a dozen solutions - every one maybe correct - which one you choose is up to you - yes - ?? .. however which one you use - is very much a matter of personal choice - it is like every thing in life - you only learn later on if you have made the right choice or the wrong one - yes ??... however I never ever impose my views on other ppl I always have let them make up there own minds - with the information provided for them !! .. after all information is king when you are working on your wing ...

spiralout
1996 GL1500 SE

Post by spiralout » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:44 am

wingdings wrote:each to there own !! for every problem the are a dozen solutions - every one maybe correct - which one you choose is up to you - yes - ?? .. however which one you use - is very much a matter of personal choice - it is like every thing in life - you only learn later on if you have made the right choice or the wrong one - yes ??... however I never ever impose my views on other ppl I always have let them make up there own minds - with the information provided for them !! .. after all information is king when you are working on your wing ...
That's all good but I still don't understand how you use this handheld thing. What are it's advantages? Provide some info, please.

wingdings

Post by wingdings » Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:09 pm

OK - THIS MAY EXPLAIN HOW IT ALL WORKS - CLICK ON THE FOLOWING LINKS BELOW -

- INTRODUCTION

- HOW IT WORKS !! AND WHY ?? THE ADVANTAGES !!

-

COBRA MR F300 BT EU Marine Bluetooth Handset/Speakerphone for Mobile Phone - COST - £44 - £88 BRITISH POUNDS -

IN THE UK NEW LAWS ARE BEING DRAWN UP ALONG SIDE CURRENT ONES THAT WILL MAKE ILEGAL TO USE YOUR MOBLIE PHONE WHILE DRIVING !! WITH THIS UNIT YOU WILL HAVE TOO PULL OVER TO TAKE A CALL DEFO A SAFE OPTION AND KEEPS YOUR MOBLIE SAFE IN YOUR POCKET AND NOT EXPOSED TO THE WEATHER !! AND LESS LIKELY TO LEAVE IT ON THE BIKE - YES I HAVE SEEN THIS DONE !! NASTY WHEN YOU COME BACK AND YOUR NICE EXPENSIVE PHONE HAS GONE !! ... THIS IS JUST ONE OF MANY WAYS OF SOLVING MATTERS THERE ARE MANY MORE TO CHOOSE FROM IT ALL COME DOWN TO PERSONNEL CHOICE AND CASH LIKE I SAID EACH TO THERE OWN - MY FRIEND SHOWED ME ANOTHER WAY TOO BUT THIS WAS AFTER BUYING THE UNIT - TAKE A LOOK BELOW !!

and if you don't like all that you could do this -

FOOT NOTE - TO LAST VID BELOW -

Published on 28 Oct 2015
A small video on a couple of devices you can use to play music on The Honda Goldwing or probably any other motorcycle that as a radio fitted or you are going to fit a radio to you can also fit these devices to other vehicles.

After looking at this video I realised that my maths wasn't that good. 99 x 99 is not a thousand sorry about that.

https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Bluetoo ... ingdocs-20

and
https://www.amazon.com/Ytm06-HON2F-adap ... ingdocs-20

hope this helps ... plenty to think about yes ???

spiralout
1996 GL1500 SE

Post by spiralout » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:31 pm

Thanks for the info. I see the advantages of the weatherproofing and how it'd be useful in a boating situation where you'd want to keep your phone stashed away but I'm curious as to how YOU use it on a bike, though. Do you use it as a BT speaker to talk on the phone or as a streaming music controller? You said earlier that as long as you have a BT headset in your helmet, it will work fine. If you already have a BT headset, why couldn't you just use that to talk and control music playback?

wingdings

Post by wingdings » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:11 pm

hi - ok and your welcome to the info there too !! - ok as stated the unit is a stand alone item - and is independent of other items on your bike once paired to your phone you should be able to take calls via the blue tooth head set in your helmit - once you have pressed the green button on the mike that is - however as stated because of new laws in the uk - it is far safer to pull over look at the call list and call the person back you can mount the unit anywhere on the bike the unit is fully waterproof up to 1mtr and still gives you clear communication - bet you had a call off a mate with a water logged phone speaker yes ?? .. for more info go too - http://www.cobra.com/support - down load the pdf file -

http://www.cobra.com/sites/default/file ... NL_ENG.pdf - full install instructions and manual

again hope this helps !! ... and if all else fails - have a look at this idea too !! - viewtopic.php?t=7974

wingdings

Post by wingdings » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:46 pm

tinman446
Motorcycle: 1993 Honda Goldwing 1500 California Conversion Trike

Post by tinman446 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:27 pm

MikeB wrote:
Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:53 pm
I see that his GL1500 has a CB radio and is probably usable. The CB audio goes through the radio and the intercom system which allows communication between the rider and passenger is part of the radio head. I'd be real interested to know what kind of work around he has planned for those systems.

I notice you do not have a CB radio and since you are in the UK, that probably was not an option for you. Did you route your intercom through your new radio system?

Anyway, the Intercom and the CB go through the radio head. He will have to know a way to integrate audio systems into his new set up. Hopefully he already has a plan.
Any idea where that set up in the picture came from ? Looking to update my sound system and would love to go that route.
Thanks

wingdings

Post by wingdings » Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:08 pm

hi - you can buy on ebay - eBay item number:
351070312455 hope this helps - however - that old cassette player does more than you might think !! be carefull ... :oops: :oops:

bluthundr31
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500 Interstate (Cinnamon Beige)

Post by bluthundr31 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:49 pm

I just went through a similar experience with "replacement" of the old crappy Kenwood radio that was in the left pocket of my '91 GL1500 Interstate.

I ripped out all of the old components, bought a $20 AM/FM stereo with bluetooth, USB port, and aux-in capability (and remote controller for mama in the back seat), from Wally world.
I found that the "head" of the radio is connected to the electronics with a ribbon cable thats long enough to mount the head face-up on the cover of the center shelter. I modified the cover for the radio head, mounted the body of the radio on the existing plate below (originally had the booster/amp mounted on it), and added a 12" antennae cable ($2.99), and the power/speaker wires were pretty much "plug-and-play". I can use the aux-in to listen to my iphone playlists, AND charge the iphone with the USB port so it stays charged 100% through these mountain passes. The Iphone is also used for my GPS/Navi/mileage apps and other misc. stuff. ITS THE BEST, EASIEST, CHEAPEST SOLUTION I'VE FOUND AND THE RESULTS ARE PERFECT FOR MY NEEDS.

Here's my $23 stereo "upgrade". (A magnet under the center shelter keeps the iPhone rock solid inplace)

Sorry for the glare from the Navi program, , in real life it is crystal clear. Oh yeah, BTW i use my BT to make and answer calls with no problems. (Helluva upgrade from what Mother Honda had 27 yrs ago)

tinman446
Motorcycle: 1993 Honda Goldwing 1500 California Conversion Trike

Post by tinman446 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:30 am

Wow very nice, have a few things I am considering and this one is at the top now. Thanks