floorboards

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
tzelmore
Motorcycle: 1989 gl1500 aspencade

floorboards

Post by tzelmore »

Hello fellow wingers. I purchased an 89 aspencade last year and am having an issue with the foot pegs. They are a bit high for me and extended riding causes my knees to hurt while riding. Has anyone found a set of drivers lowered floor boards to fit that model? If so, do you have a listing for them?
Thank you.

aj1500
Motorcycle: 02 ABS 1800
CSC F3 sidecar (working on installing)
USCA# 8913
96 Aspy 1500 W Lehmann trike

Re: floorboards

Post by aj1500 »

I have the same problem you do with my knees and severe cramps in my calves on long rides so I went with the boards.
I have to Markland boards and heel toe shifter set up. I have been very happy with them
I did scrape them quite often when I was on 2 wheels, not so much now ;)
there are a lot of opinions about the boards contributing to transmission fork failure. I don't slam my gears so I can't see it that way
there are a few different brands out there. I have had mine for about 3 years now and still very happy with them
they do take some getting used to, it is very unnatural to have to lift you foot off the board to get to the shifter to down shift or to set your heel on the pad to use the rear brakes.
keep an eye out, you can find good used ones on sale on the boards fairly often and get them at a good price
tzelmore

Post by tzelmore »

You wouldn't remember the part# or supplier you got them from would you? Just asking.
aj1500 wrote:I have the same problem you do with my knees and severe cramps in my calves on long rides so I went with the boards.
I have to Markland boards and heel toe shifter set up. I have been very happy with them
I did scrape them quite often when I was on 2 wheels, not so much now ;)
there are a lot of opinions about the boards contributing to transmission fork failure. I don't slam my gears so I can't see it that way
there are a few different brands out there. I have had mine for about 3 years now and still very happy with them
they do take some getting used to, it is very unnatural to have to lift you foot off the board to get to the shifter to down shift or to set your heel on the pad to use the rear brakes.
keep an eye out, you can find good used ones on sale on the boards fairly often and get them at a good price
aj1500
Motorcycle: 02 ABS 1800
CSC F3 sidecar (working on installing)
USCA# 8913
96 Aspy 1500 W Lehmann trike

Post by aj1500 »

I bought them from a member on a forum, I sent him my stock pegs and a agreed price and he sent me the boards and shifter set up
but you can look up GL1500 floor boards on the interweb and all your choices will pop up
a bit too pricey for me new so I waited until I found a good deal on a set
it's funny because when I bought my bike it had boards, I was running 2 wheels then and didn't like them so I sold them
then I realized how bad I needed them on the long rides, after installing the sidecar it was a must to get boards again
like I said you see them for sale all the time on the forums
CrystalPistol
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500SE/'98 Lehman Trike

Post by CrystalPistol »

I had a similar issue with my left knee on our '97 GL1500 based Lehman Trike after an injury .... so I ordered Add On "Lowboys" and installed them about 8-10 years ago ..... and I soon found that I "disliked" the H&T shifter .... so soon after I modded them to eliminate the H&T shift .... made my own adjustable shifter (winter vs summer boots .... always boots) .... cut toe pad off Add ON rear brake pedal and made a heel rest for the left to match the one on the right, and used toe pad off oem pedal on the Add On brake pedal lever.

Now I can ride with feet flat on the boards, heels up on heel rest (especially nice when shifting or braking) ... or out on forward boards .... as desired. I love this set up and my knee is GREAT. You can see where the large bolt at rear fastens to OEM mount point where your OEM pegs attach so might help judge the "drop".

You might like the H&T shifter.
http://wingstuff.com/products/36721-low ... m_search=1
http://cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/gl1500_ ... 950/164256
Make Courtesy your "Code of the Road" …

… & Have a Safe Trip!
:)
tzelmore

Post by tzelmore »

Thanks for the input everyone! I am going to research them a little more. Found them on four different wing parts sites and am comparing them.
Be safe out there!
regwal
Motorcycle: 1998 GW1500 se

Post by regwal »

Go to HI way pegs or boards. Allows you to straighten your legs out on long, or even short rides.
tzelmore

Post by tzelmore »

I already have highway boards. I get cramped up on short trips or going thru towns or traffic when I have to brake and shift a lot. The highway boards already saved my knees somewhat, but I can't leave them there all the time.
ercelltate
Motorcycle: 2000 Honda Gold Wing 1500SE

Post by ercelltate »

My right front floor board is loose. It looks like a rear screw that fits in the hing that lets me raise or lower the floor board is missing. The front part of the floor board is tight and in place but the rear is loose. Does anyone know where I can get a screw to stabilize the rear of my floor board or know what size screw it needs?
Swagonmaster
Motorcycle: 1990 gl1500 SE

Post by Swagonmaster »

You might take the rear screw out of the other side and look at/measure it to see what would be needed for your particular boards.
Try to learn from the mistakes of others..... you won't live long enough to make them all yourself!
CrystalPistol
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500SE/'98 Lehman Trike

Post by CrystalPistol »

ercelltate wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 3:50 am My right front floor board is loose. It looks like a rear screw that fits in the hing that lets me raise or lower the floor board is missing. The front part of the floor board is tight and in place but the rear is loose. Does anyone know where I can get a screw to stabilize the rear of my floor board or know what size screw it needs?
Easy 5 minute fix including the time to find a bolt. They use locking nuts. 6mm or 1/4" diameter.

Make Courtesy your "Code of the Road" …

… & Have a Safe Trip!
:)