Gear display

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
Otyesz
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500 SE

Gear display

Post by Otyesz »

Can you build GL 1500 SE motorcycle gear indicator?

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Gear display

Post by WingAdmin »

Yes. I built one for mine:

My Bike PC with gear indicator showing "N" for Neutral
My Bike PC with gear indicator showing "N" for Neutral

Bluewaterhooker0
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing GL 1500 SE
2008 GL1800 with 2018 California Side Car Trike Conversion

Post by Bluewaterhooker0 »

WingAdmin wrote:Yes. I built one for mine:

Bike PC Main Screen.JPG
Wow.
I'm guessing that's not in the Electronics for Dummies handbook ?
Just how difficult was that to build ?
And, does it fit right in the dash where the OEM LCD display was ?

Charlie1Horse
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200A Aspencade
1992 GL1500I Interstate

Post by Charlie1Horse »

Check ebay. I have seen them on there. They fit right in where the OEM indicator would be. Thinking about getting one for my 92 Interstate. But, doesn't your SE already have one??
Russell

Those who say it cannot e done should try not to interrupt those who are doing it.
Those who say it cannot be done should try not to interrupt those who are doing it.

Erdeniz Umman
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE

Post by Erdeniz Umman »

Here is what I have done and shared in the following link.

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/2-g ... cator.html

Never miss a video: Subscribe to the GoldwingDocs YouTube channel today!

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin »

Bluewaterhooker0 wrote:
WingAdmin wrote:Yes. I built one for mine:

Bike PC Main Screen.JPG
Wow.
I'm guessing that's not in the Electronics for Dummies handbook ?
Just how difficult was that to build ?
And, does it fit right in the dash where the OEM LCD display was ?
:) No, it wasn't a simple thing. I built it more for fun than anything else - I designed the circuit, and tested it on a breadboard. I then wrote the software that runs it (about 1500 lines of code) which for me was the most fun. :)

Erdeniz Umman

Post by Erdeniz Umman »

In my design no code is used, anyone who can solder some parts can built this, and the cost will be very low like 10-20$.

It has two parts, indicator unit and the control unit, which creates the first gear signal using a logic circuit in it.

Here is a daytime picture of the product.
Attachments

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin »

Erdeniz Umman wrote:In my design no code is used, anyone who can solder some parts can built this, and the cost will be very low like 10-20$.

It has two parts, indicator unit and the control unit, which creates the first gear signal using a logic circuit in it.

Here is a daytime picture of the product.
To be fair, my device does much more than just tell you what gear you're in. :)

Erdeniz Umman

Post by Erdeniz Umman »

I had watched a video on YouTube, I think it was yours.

And here are two videos from a German guy.

Otyesz
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500 SE

Post by Otyesz »

Thanks for your help. I found on Ebay cheap solution, but the German guy lennne development on the best solution.

CrystalPistol
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500SE/'98 Lehman Trike

Post by CrystalPistol »

I can solder, etc .... but I just bought mine in 2004 on sale at a rally, Air Rider sold it. Gear & Volts, dims at night too.

Make Courtesy your "Code of the Road" …

… & Have a Safe Trip!
:)

someone548
Motorcycle: 1995 Goldwing Aspencade

Post by someone548 »

Wingadmin,

Any other info on the one you built? Still have the plans and code so that others may follow? Or heck, want to sell me one? :)

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin »

Otyesz wrote:Thanks for your help. I found on Ebay cheap solution, but the German guy lennne development on the best solution.

Interesting - I notice that he is using the same LCD panel module as I used. :) it looks like he is designing his as a replacement for the original GL1500 LCD panel, with the aim of perhaps selling them at one point:

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin »

someone548 wrote:Wingadmin,

Any other info on the one you built? Still have the plans and code so that others may follow? Or heck, want to sell me one? :)
I do, but I've had plans to rework it and make some changes. I designed it as a one-off, it would need quite a bit of work to make it into a saleable kit, unfortunately.

Erdeniz Umman

Post by Erdeniz Umman »

Otyesz wrote:Thanks for your help. I found on Ebay cheap solution, but the German guy lennne development on the best solution.
The cheap solution you found will not show the first gear, I guess. Because GL1500 does not have a first gear signal, on some earlier models (I couldnt remember the years now) even the second gear signal either, you will need a gear indicator which is specially designed for GL1500.

Or you will need the control unit that I have built to connect the indicator you found.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin »

Erdeniz Umman wrote:
The cheap solution you found will not show the first gear, I guess. Because GL1500 does not have a first gear signal, on some earlier models (I couldnt remember the years now) even the second gear signal either, you will need a gear indicator which is specially designed for GL1500.

Or you will need the control unit that I have built to connect the indicator you found.
You can do it without the first gear switch, using logic. There are positions on the switch for Neutral, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th (OD). Therefore, you can safely assume that if none of those contacts are closed, that the transmission is in first.

GL1500 Gear Position Switch
GL1500 Gear Position Switch

Erdeniz Umman

Post by Erdeniz Umman »

WingAdmin wrote:
Erdeniz Umman wrote:

You can do it without the first gear switch, using logic. There are positions on the switch for Neutral, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th (OD). Therefore, you can safely assume that if none of those contacts are closed, that the transmission is in first.

Gear Position Switch.GIF
Yes of course, but this would not be a technical solution.
Here is the technical solution.
Attachments

gipsy42
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 SE
1978 GL1000

Post by gipsy42 »

Erdeniz Umman wrote:
Enderniz:
Excuse me for chiming in, but following your posts I've ready spliced wires and have the 6 wires hanging behind the right pocket, waiting to fix up the display.
Going up a little more I would like to use a BCD and a seven segment display, but I don't know if this is possible because the signal from speed selector is a 0V (ground) and the BCD requieres an imput of +5V to work, do you think is it doable??. I'll appreciate your comments about it.
Mario
Mario
aka Gipsy42
And still riding...
I just regrets the things I haven't done.

http://www.surfcam.com.ar
http://www.cre-angeles.org.ar

Erdeniz Umman

Post by Erdeniz Umman »

Gipsy,

Here is a $3 gear indicator, in various colors on Aliexpress. It needs ground inputs for gears.

You can use black/white wire for +12v in the C57 (9Red) connector, and get N,2,3,4,5 gear inputs (all of them are grounds) from the C59 (6Blk) connector.

If you like to have a 1st gear input, you will need the control unit that I have built and shared the details.

I don't know if I could answer your question.
Attachments

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin »

Erdeniz Umman wrote:
WingAdmin wrote:You can do it without the first gear switch, using logic. There are positions on the switch for Neutral, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th (OD). Therefore, you can safely assume that if none of those contacts are closed, that the transmission is in first.

Gear Position Switch.GIF
You are using logic in your solution - only the logic is encoded in hardware, using diodes and a transistor, rather than in a processor executing code.

I'm curious, what is the purpose of LA through LD? They appear to be on at all times?

gipsy42
1978 GL1000

Post by gipsy42 »

Erdeniz Umman wrote:Gipsy,

Hi Enderniz
First I appreciate your input and time to search, but Sorry you didn't get to my question. I'm not interested in that commercial unit, It probably will cost me more this way, it isn't for the money, it's more a personal joy.
As stated before I decided to build your circuit, and since I've had the tuperware out (carbs problems) already have the wires taken from C59 connector.
Just thinking to make some change and upgrade to a seven segment display, my problem is the one I pointed to you, how to swap a -(0) signal to a +(1) signal, (my poor electronic knowledge) . may you help me?? Thank you in advance .
Mario
aka Gipsy42
And still riding...

Erdeniz Umman

Post by Erdeniz Umman »

I had explained it in the related link, but let me add some more details.
Yes it is absolutely a logic circuit.
The LEDs A-D are just for illumination of the writings and the ring around the case, and they are blue.
I did not want to use a digital 7 segment display, because I didn't like its appearance on the bike. I wanted some extra lights which look beautiful in dark.
Attachments

Erdeniz Umman

Post by Erdeniz Umman »

gipsy42 wrote:

Hi Enderniz
First I appreciate your input and time to search, but Sorry you didn't get to my question. I'm not interested in that commercial unit, It probably will cost me more this way, it isn't for the money, it's more a personal joy.
As stated before I decided to build your circuit, and since I've had the tuperware out (carbs problems) already have the wires taken from C59 connector.
Just thinking to make some change and upgrade to a seven segment display, my problem is the one I pointed to you, how to swap a -(0) signal to a +(1) signal, (my poor electronic knowledge) . may you help me?? Thank you in advance .
Gipsy,
Actually I had gotten your point, and wanted to draw you into that solution. But if you want such a circuit, first you should design a coder circuit to convert gear signals into binary inputs, then decode them using another bcd circuit. Since I didn't know your level of expertise on electronics, I thought it would be easier for you.

And, to give a basic answer, you can change any negative signal to a positive signal by using a pnp transistor; and any positive signal to a negative signal by using a npn transistor. Of course, you should limit the current using proper resistors, and some capacitors, according to your circuit design and component specs you will chose.

gipsy42
1978 GL1000

Post by gipsy42 »

Enderniz:
Thank you a lot for your explanation, I'll keep going ffrom here.
Mario
aka Gipsy42
And still riding...

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin »

Erdeniz Umman wrote:
gipsy42 wrote:

Hi Enderniz
Gipsy,
Actually I had gotten your point, and wanted to draw you into that solution. But if you want such a circuit, first you should design a coder circuit to convert gear signals into binary inputs, then decode them using another bcd circuit. Since I didn't know your level of expertise on electronics, I thought it would be easier for you.

And, to give a basic answer, you can change any negative signal to a positive signal by using a pnp transistor; and any positive signal to a negative signal by using a npn transistor. Of course, you should limit the current using proper resistors, and some capacitors, according to your circuit design and component specs you will chose.
I have seen another circuit design that uses a maze of diodes and transistors that encodes the five gear switch wires into 7 outputs to drive a 7 segment LED - no intermediate binary or BCD driver. It literally lights up the segments for the digit "2" for instance when the 2 switch is engaged, purely through a bunch of diodes and a few transistors. Complex and not very efficient, but it worked.