FORK'ING - HELL " !!! - WTF !!! Is going on here !! ???

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
wingdings
Motorcycle: Honda Goldwing gl 1989

FORK'ING - HELL " !!! - WTF !!! Is going on here !! ???

Post by wingdings »

Hi folks - Just been rebuilding the front end up on my 1989k - model wing - after making up a tool to remove the fork caps of the top of the forks - I decided to remove one of the caps - to see what springs had been fitted - was hoping that some kind person may have fitted progressive one's - however after removing the removal tool and cap - this is what I found - I am not a fork expert but I am prity dam sure that you should not find one spring inside another one yes ??? - see pics below !!! - I checked what I found and it does not look like anything in the manual either - so - Defo - WTF :shock: :shock: :shock: - is this set up ?? any idea's fellow wingers ?? .. please ?? ... the small spring measure 16"/1/2 inch's long and was inside the larger 20"/1/2inch's long .. and no spacer washer to separate either spring ?? totally stumped me - anyone seen this set up before ??? .. :? :? :? :? :? :?

Attachments

jeff1
Motorcycle: 1989 Yamaha Venture (SOLD)
1994 GoldWing SE

Re: FORK'ING - HELL " !!! - WTF !!! Is going on here !! ???

Post by jeff1 »

My 1994 SE had the same setup, I assume it was the factory setup for that year. Removed both of those springs, rebuilt forks, installed Progressives without the inner spring. Life is good. Haven't rode the bike yet due to snow so I can't speak to how well the forks will work but not overly concerned at this point.

wingdings

Post by wingdings »

Hi - Jeff - - many - thanks for that - that's got me thinking - has the bike had a new set of forks been put on it ?? - The original fork spring set up is quit different to what I found when I took the caps off - I will try and look at a 94 - fork diagram - and see it if it set up the same - The plot thickens ??? mmh ?? ... what stye of fork cap is on your bike ? mine was just a straight hex type with no valve there ?? .. look like then some ones been playing around ... ?? .. :o :o

wingdings

Post by wingdings »

Been looking - at the springs - folks - if you look the bigger one looks like a progressive spring - does any one know the length of a progressive spring for a Goldwing 89- k model - it maybe that - someone - just pulled the original old top spring out of the forks ( which I believe was the shorter type one ) and has left the old bottom spring in the bottom of the fork - Having been looking at the various ways to do this job - a easy way was just to take the fork cap off in -situ - and take out the old spring and pop in the new one - I think who ever has done this on my bike has forgot it was a two stage spring with a washer in the middle - and has removed the top spring along with the spacer and has just popped in the new spring thinking - job done !! not so -you are supposed to hook out the bottom one as well and looking at the 11-1152 there are no spacers required - so who ever did this would not have thought to check this either - all I need to confirm this is to find out just how long a progressive 11-1152 spring for a 1989- k model wing is ?? all help most welcome please ?? ... cheers ... and thanks ....too ... :P :P

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade
183K Miles
2017 - GL1800 Audio Comfort
10K Miles

Post by MikeB »

The progressive 11-1152 springs are 520 mm (about 20.5 inches) in length.
MikeB
1998 - GL1500 w/184,500 miles ~ 2017 - GL1800 w/13000 miles
USAF Avionics Communications Tech - 18 Years / Flight Engineer C-130E - C-141B - 6 Years. Retired.
Industrial Maintenance Tech - 22 years.
Retired in Tacoma, WA

wingdings

Post by wingdings »

Good Morning !! - There Mike - First a very big thank-you for your reply on this - it very much confirms - what I thought too - someone has fitted progressive springs and not taken the old bottom springs out - most likely then - they just took the cap off the forks and took the old top spring out and never hooked the bottom ones out and did the whole job in situ too !! - This will mean I have to strip them down to refurbish them and also to make sure they have been done right and not a botch job . Again mike many thanks for your kind help in this matter and oh for your help in the past too .. You are fast becoming a legend on here too you do see to help a lot of fellow wingers out like myself which I think is very much in the sprit of the site yes ?? -

cheers - again - very best regards - Jon ... :D :D :D

wingdings

Post by wingdings »

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D WTF :D :D :D :D :D :D