HANDS GO NUMB EVEN ON A SHORT RIDE

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
richchad56
Motorcycle: 2012 GL1800

Re: HANDS GO NUMB EVEN ON A SHORT RIDE

Post by richchad56 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:06 pm

You didn’t mention if it is in your arms as well. 22 years in military aviation, specifically helicopters, has caused compression of the C3, 4, and 5 vertebrae. Caused by the weight of the helmet and the bounce of the aircraft. The motorcycle helmet weighs about the same and you do bounce around a bit. Try a chiropractor and have them work on those cervical vertebrae. It has helped me.

FM-USA
Motorcycle: mc's

Post by FM-USA » Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:36 pm

ODDLY I never knew this also but I've always used the pinky & ring fingers for power and the two others as finesse. I guess subconsciously I knew better without knowing why. SCHWINGING a hammer I can still set a 16 penny nail in one whack, with safety goggles. ;)

This know, loose grip begets warm blood flow.
To pump blood a little faster to the fingers. Alternately rocking the palm area (just under the first knuckles) of the 2 inner finger then the outer two. After I got DVT in the leg 6 years ago and theirs LOTS of new movements I do to keep blood flowing while sitting a while.
I'm hounded for posting helpful solutions? ARGO!!! (2012 film)
"May you have a quick & safe trip into oblivion"

TSK
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500SE

Post by TSK » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:10 am

All the causes listed here are likely, but in my case all I have to do is grip my thumb and fingers in a "C" shape and in a few minutes my thumb and first fingers start to tingle.
Also, and time I handle a wrench or hammer for any length I get the same problem.

I have no other carpal tunnel issues, no pain in the wrists, no effects from wrist position. I just live with it. A throttle lock CC helps to let me let go for a few seconds to recover, but stop and go traffic can be a nightmare.

Bluewaterhooker0
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing GL 1500 SE
2008 GL1800 with 2018 California Side Car Trike Conversion

Post by Bluewaterhooker0 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:39 pm

TSK wrote:All the causes listed here are likely, but in my case all I have to do is grip my thumb and fingers in a "C" shape and in a few minutes my thumb and first fingers start to tingle.
Also, and time I handle a wrench or hammer for any length I get the same problem.

I have no other carpal tunnel issues, no pain in the wrists, no effects from wrist position. I just live with it. A throttle lock CC helps to let me let go for a few seconds to recover, but stop and go traffic can be a nightmare.
Yours sounds like my left hand. I just dealt with it for several years, until the day that it became permanent. No pain, just total numbness. That's when I had the Carpal release procedure. My orthopedic surgeon indicated that if the total loss of feeling is left untreated for more than about 3 months, you will suffer strength loss and it could become permanent. It took a full 3 months after the procedure to regain normal feeling in my left hand after the procedure. No issues now.

toofarleft
Motorcycle: 2012 Goldwing 1800 Audio Comfort

Post by toofarleft » Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:33 pm

I've had the same problem at different time periods in my 45 years of riding. The first time in the late 80s was caused by having carpal tunnel syndrome. First in the right wrist, then the left a year later. Both times I had the orthoscopic carpal release procedure and the recoup time was minimal. The first time I had it was on Nov 11 and I played golf on Thanksgiving weekend. Probably not the smartest thing but then I've never been accused of being a rocket scientist! I was having numbness quite often in 2012 when riding my H-D Ultra Classic and chalked it up to the vibration. I opted to switch bikes and went to a 2012 Goldwing 1800 and added Kuryakyn Oversized ISO grips (which clamp on over the factory grips), problem solved. Last year the numbness came back in my left hand. This time it was a strained tendon/ligament in my left elbow. 45 minute surgery to correct and 3 weeks to recoup. Now all is good with the world. Like someone else stated earlier, there are many things that can cause the hands to go numb or tingle. You can try the cheaper solutions first like grips, handlebar placement, etc., but remember that relaxing your grip definitely helps. If it is a medical issue, don't push it. do what you need to do to take care of yourself, the ride will be much more enjoyable! Ride safe!

FM-USA
Motorcycle: mc's

Post by FM-USA » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:31 pm

TSK wrote:All the causes listed here are likely, but in my case all I have to do is grip my thumb and fingers in a "C" shape and in a few minutes my thumb and first fingers start to tingle. ...
Does gripping the throttle, with thumb next to index finger, lessen the numbing?
If it's a pinched nerve, acupuncture works MOST times.

Over-sized "Throttle Rocker"?
A little expensive but MAYBE a left hand throttle.
Last edited by FM-USA on Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm hounded for posting helpful solutions? ARGO!!! (2012 film)
"May you have a quick & safe trip into oblivion"

Charlie1Horse
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200A Aspencade
1992 GL1500I Interstate

Post by Charlie1Horse » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:09 pm

I have a little of that problem. I have a cramp buster on the throttle and as I need can grip the throttle. When on the road cruising along, even with light traffic, I can rest my fingertips on the brake and clutch levers to keep from having the numbing. Works for me. I rest the heel of my right palm on the cramp buster to maintain speed and can, at any moment return my fingers to the throttle for control. Like I say, it works for me. Throttle lock can let you get a little relief from time to time as well if you don't have cruise control. Set it just tight enough so you can still turn the throttle down while it is engaged.
Russell

Those who say it cannot be done should try not to interrupt those who are doing it.

dthorntonministries
Motorcycle: "2000SE Honda Goldwing" "1985 Honda Goldwing Aspencade"

Post by dthorntonministries » Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:16 pm

As I read your post a number of question came to me;
1 - Do you have and use cruise control? If you have it and don't use it, I wonder why. That would allow your grip to relax and might bring some relief.
2 - Are your hands anywhere near the height of your shoulders? If so your heart may be having difficulty pumping blood up to your hands. You might try lowering your bars until your hands are at approximately the same as your elbows. That way the blood doesn't have to climb up to your hands.
3 - Do you ride with your wrists high, as if you were about to twist the throttle? If so, try to learn to ride with your wrists low, as if you had already twisted the throttle.

If you are practicing counter-steering, and using the cruise control there is no real reason to have much grip on the bars. Your hands should rest on the grips in a comfortable and relaxed position, so you can "get a grip" on them if something happens that would cause you to need to steer suddenly or use one of the hand controls.

I have arthritis is every joint. EVERY joint, and if I find myself hurting I usually find that I am riding tensed up. At which time I conciously check my hand position on the bars and try to make adjustments.
I hope this helps, somehow.
Be blessed, DT