'93 Radio Mute on\off issue

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
dvcruz
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade
1983 GL1100 Interstate

'93 Radio Mute on\off issue

Post by dvcruz »

Hi.
I know a lot has been written about having the radio stuck in a "Mute-on" condition . I've had the same problem with my bike since I got last summer. When I start the bike and turn the radio on it's in mute mode, but usually after a few miles, it will unmute. Like many of you, I have checked all the wiring, fuses, relays, grounds and connections I can find, but the problem persists. However, I came across something that I hadn't read before and maybe it means something to someone smarter than this ol dog.
When I plug my helmet into the radio cord, the mute goes off and the radio works fine. Unplug the helmet and the mute goes back on. However, the music does not come thru the helmet speaker. I can hear a faint click (thru the helmet speakers) when I plug or unplug the helmet cord, but no music come thru. The cords and speakers work fine - I use the same cord and helmet on my 1100.
So, two questions. First, why does plugging in my helmet fix my mute issue? Second, why am I not hearing anything through my helmet speaker?
BTW, using the passenger cord gives the same results as the driver cord. Also, I have replaced the short piece of wiring found in the left hand pocket (it has a red rectangular connector) because the one I had was pretty beat up.
Thanks for any suggestions.
dvc

Back in the San Jose area for now...
Charlie1Horse
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200A Aspencade
1992 GL1500I Interstate

Re: '93 Radio Mute on\off issue

Post by Charlie1Horse »

Try cleaning your mute switch. It may not be making the connection to your speakers. Next check your fader control. I have heard others say they had trouble with the fader. Your helmet connection may be jumping the bad connection from a dirty mute control. Next are you sure you have turned the switch from speaker to headset? Don't ask how I know this but, the headset won't work if you don't turn them on. When you turn the headset on the speakers go off. Try testing with a jumper wire from the battery's ground to the ground at the radio, just in case there is a ground loose somewhere.
Russell

Those who say it cannot be done should try not to interrupt those who are doing it.
Those who say it cannot be done should try not to interrupt those who are doing it.
MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade
186K Miles
2017 - GL1800 Audio Comfort
20K Miles

Post by MikeB »

dvcruz wrote: Also, I have replaced the short piece of wiring found in the left hand pocket (it has a red rectangular connector) because the one I had was pretty beat up.
dvc
Was that "short piece of wiring" the cable that goes to your headset?
Does it look like this?

If it does, then it is the Headset connection cable. It looks identical to the cable used on the GL1800 and maybe even the GL1200 and GL1100 BUT, they are not all the same. Looks are deceiving. If you replaced any wire that had the square red connector on it under the left hand pocket, it may be the wrong one for your bike.

The thing to do is disconnect it. Then, use the passenger headset connection to plug in your headset. This will eliminate the replacement cable as the source of your troubles for troubleshooting purposes. If the system works like it is supposed to and does not mute things, then the wire you installed is not the correct one or it has some crossed wires. If it does not eliminate the problem, then you will have to look deeper into the system.
MikeB
1998 - GL1500 w/184,500 miles ~ 2017 - GL1800 w/13000 miles
USAF Avionics Communications Tech - 1968 - 1986 / Flight Engineer C-130E - C-141B - 1986 - 1992. Retired
Industrial Maintenance Tech - 1992 - 2014
Retired in Tacoma, WA
dvcruz
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade
1983 GL1100 Interstate

Post by dvcruz »

C.H.\M.B.
I have previously cleaned the mute switch several times and that didn't help. I am using the headset\speaker switch and the headphone icon appears on my instrument cluster when in headset mode.

The cord in the picture is indeed the one I am talking about. I checked the connections to make sure they were wired the same way as the one I was removing. I have two extra one's and I checked them both. I might not have been clear in my original post, but I tried using the rear headset connection but I am having the same results. No music, but I can hear a "click" when I plug or unplug the headset.

I have to turn the volume up all the way to hear the "click" and I've tried playing with the other knobs as well. Since getting the bike, I have cleaned\tightened every ground wire I have come across. I used to own a '88 1500 so I'm pretty familiar with the systems and how they work and are put together. I just can't figure out the connection between the mute feature being affected by plugging and unplugging the head set. It must be closing or opening some sort of circuit.

Thanks for your guesses anyway. I really hate electrical issues.
dvc
Back in the San Jose area for now...
MikeB
186K Miles
20K Miles

Post by MikeB »

The rider and passenger headset connections are in parallel. Whatever effects one will effect the other. That is why I say to disconnect the driver cord and then plug your headset in the passenger cord and do a test. This is just a troubleshooting maneuver. And, then do the same with the passenger cord. Have it disconnected as you test the driver cord for operation.
MikeB
USAF Avionics Communications Tech - 1968 - 1986 / Flight Engineer C-130E - C-141B - 1986 - 1992. Retired
Retired in Tacoma, WA
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

MikeB wrote:
dvcruz wrote: Also, I have replaced the short piece of wiring found in the left hand pocket (it has a red rectangular connector) because the one I had was pretty beat up.
dvc
Was that "short piece of wiring" the cable that goes to your headset?
Does it look like this?intercom cable.jpg If it does, then it is the Headset connection cable. It looks identical to the cable used on the GL1800 and maybe even the GL1200 and GL1100 BUT, they are not all the same. Looks are deceiving. If you replaced any wire that had the square red connector on it under the left hand pocket, it may be the wrong one for your bike.

The thing to do is disconnect it. Then, use the passenger headset connection to plug in your headset. This will eliminate the replacement cable as the source of your troubles for troubleshooting purposes. If the system works like it is supposed to and does not mute things, then the wire you installed is not the correct one or it has some crossed wires. If it does not eliminate the problem, then you will have to look deeper into the system.
It can't be confused with the wrong one - the 1100 and 1200 use a different cable, and while the 1800 looks the same, it has a female plug on the end.

GL1500 Pigtail
GL1500 Pigtail

GL1800 Pigtail
GL1800 Pigtail

MikeB
186K Miles
20K Miles

Post by MikeB »

Thanks for the correction.
MikeB
Retired in Tacoma, WA
38wing
Motorcycle: 1982 Honda Goldwing gl1100I

Post by 38wing »

Had same problem on my 1500 it turned out their problem was the radio itself where the wire plug is on the radio the solder came loose and I had to restart her the joints on the motherboard once I did that everything worked perfect try taking the radio out and wiggling the wire harness around a bit up and down on the radio see if that makes any different