LEDs and flashers - ya... that again...

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
Mr Magic Fingers
Motorcycle: 1991 1500A

LEDs and flashers - ya... that again...

Post by Mr Magic Fingers » Mon May 01, 2017 10:25 pm

Hey everyone...

Got a few questions for anyone that has worked with the flasher module on a GL1500 as far as replacing it with an electronic one.

Like others before me, I am in the process of converting my front end to all LEDs, including the signal lights. We all know what happens then - hyper flashing. I also know that replacing the older bi-metal flasher means the problem is resolved but also means that I will lose my auto canceling signal lights which I 100% want to keep.

I know that load resisters will eliminate this. I would rather not go that route if I absolutely don't have to. I already have an electronic flasher I want to utilize. I look upon load resistors as a Band-Aid solution with more having to be added when I make the final conversion on the rear of the bike.It's not the "right" solution.

The original Honda flasher has 3 pins. One is power input, a blue/black wire from the fuse/relay box. The second one is the output and is grey and goes the left hand grip, to the left/right switch selector. The third is a white/green that goes to the turn signal cancel control unit (TSCCU).

Normally, you can just replace the flasher with an electronic one just by adding the new flasher to the blue/black and the Grey wires. However when you do this, no signal gets sent to the TSCCU. Therefore the TSCCU will have no idea that your signal lights are on.

My question is, if any one actually knows...

Is the white/green wire just providing a pulsing signal to the TSCCU? That in fact the white/green wire is a convenience wire that takes the pulsing (blinking) power from the grey wire and feed it to the TSCCU? I suspect this is the case.

I am wondering if either internal to the flasher or the socket that it plugs into if the grey and white/green wires are connected?

Is there anyone out there that has a defective original Honda flasher that can gently take it apart and give a good couple of close up photo's of the inside???

I want to put this to bed once and for all for everyone. Come heck or high water I will come up with a working solution.

Anyone have any quality input to add?

Thanks,

Tim

1) Experience - something you don't get until after you need it.
2) A closed mouth gathers no foot.
3) DON'T HAVE TIME TO DO IT RIGHT? WHEN WILL YOU HAVE TIME TO DO IT OVER?

My PHOTO ALBUM http://goldwingdocs.com/UserPictures/Mr ... gers_39232

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: LEDs and flashers - ya... that again...

Post by WingAdmin » Tue May 02, 2017 11:28 am

You can see the turn signal here:

GL1500 Turn signal circuit
GL1500 Turn signal circuit

The white/green wire is +12V. The grey wire going out goes to the turn signal switch, and from there it goes to one or the other turn signal lights, and from there to ground.

The blue/black wire, as you mentioned, goes to the turn signal cancel unit. It provides a ground to the turn signal relay. When this ground is provided, the flasher will continue to operate. When the ground is lifted by the turn signal canceller, the turn signal stops flashing - and that's how the turn signal canceller stops the turn signal from flashing.

The turn signal canceller has its own inputs from a ganged part of the turn signal switch:

GL1500 Turn signal canceler
GL1500 Turn signal canceler

When there is not enough current being drawn by the lights (i.e. when you replace them with LEDs), the voltage on the blue/black wire remains too high, and the turn signal canceler never activates.

In order to keep the turn signal canceller happy and operating, you need the load resistors on the lights (or one, on the grey wire), to pull the voltage down on the blue/black wire enough to let the turn signal canceller know that the lights are operating.

It's easier to put the two load resistors (one on each light) because this allows you to keep the hazard flasher relay as well.

When I did my LED conversion and discovered just how much re-engineering and jury-rigging I was going to have to do to get the turn signal canceller to continue to work, with all the added complexity and potential points of failure, I just gave up and used the load resistors instead, and they've been working fine ever since.

Mr Magic Fingers

Post by Mr Magic Fingers » Tue May 02, 2017 12:56 pm

Hey,

I am using a colorized schematic for my above statement. It looks like is differs from the monochrome version! hahaha I will have to keep that in mind for future endeavors.

What I have clearly shows how I explained it... which led me to believe this was going to be a simpler process then what it might be turning out to be. :evil:

I have read many posts about people trying to figure this out and wondering why someone hasn't cracked it.

I really will feel defeated if I have to use those power resistors. :(

Tim

Corkster52
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500 Aspencade
1988 GL1500 (sold 4/17)

Post by Corkster52 » Tue May 02, 2017 2:42 pm

Tim, I looked through your photo album. Impressive! Looks like we both use the Napa Gold 3003 fuel filter.

Mr Magic Fingers

Post by Mr Magic Fingers » Tue May 02, 2017 3:00 pm

Thank you Corkster! I try my best. :)

Yes... NAPA is just as good as any others out there.

Tim

Mr Magic Fingers

Post by Mr Magic Fingers » Tue May 02, 2017 3:09 pm

I don't believe I am asking this but... Wingadmin...

Any pictures of where you mounted the load resistors and how?

I am feeling defeated. :(

Tim

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin » Tue May 02, 2017 4:08 pm

Mr Magic Fingers wrote:I don't believe I am asking this but... Wingadmin...

Any pictures of where you mounted the load resistors and how?

I am feeling defeated. :(

Tim
I used two of these 3.3 ohm, 100 watt resistors: http://www.amazon.com/100watt-Resistanc ... ingdocs-20

One for the left turn signal, one for the right. They are connected in parallel with the turn signal bulbs (one lead is connected to the +12V side of the turn signal bulb, the other lead is connected to ground).

These things get HOT. They are sinking a fair amount of current. The resistors have heat fins on them to dissipate heat. Even then, when left running for more than a few minutes, the resistors reached over 200 degrees F - hot enough to melt plastic bodywork. They need to be strapped to a frame member on the bike, away from the plastic, in order to sink away some of the heat. I used two stainless worm screw clamps on each one to strap them to the frame underneath the seat, next to the side bags, one on each side. They work very well there. I looked for pictures - but I don't think I ended up taking any, or at least can't find them at the moment.

Bluewaterhooker0
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing GL 1500 SE
2008 GL1800 with 2018 California Side Car Trike Conversion

Post by Bluewaterhooker0 » Tue May 02, 2017 4:26 pm

This isn't an answer to your question, but my thoughts on the never ending hyper flash / cancelling debate.
I have LEDs just about everywhere but my turn signals, for just the reasons pointed out. After looking at the solutions a while back, I started questioning the need, or desire for LEDs in the turn signals.
The 3 benefits I can come up with are: 1) They use less electricity, 2) They theoretically last forever, and 3) Their flash is more distinct because of their rapid on/off feature.
The down sides I can come up with are: 1) If you have to add resistors to the circuit, they probably draw just about the same current as OEM bulbs when all is said and done, 2) Since we are talking about a bulb with VERY intermittent use (only when turn signals are in use), they probably are not a high failure item, and are very easy to change if they do fail, 3) Since most of these LEDs come from China, with dubious manufacturing qualities, will they really last nearly forever ?
At this point, the only remaining advantage is the rapid on/off cycle of LEDs, which have a crisper appearance when flashing. I decided to forego the LEDs in the turn signals, avoid the hassle, and keep the self cancelling feature of the bike as designed.
Just something to consider.

Erdeniz Umman
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE

Post by Erdeniz Umman » Tue May 02, 2017 7:03 pm

Mr Magic Fingers wrote:Hey,

I am using a colorized schematic for my above statement. It looks like is differs from the monochrome version! hahaha I will have to keep that in mind for future endeavors.

What I have clearly shows how I explained it... which led me to believe this was going to be a simpler process then what it might be turning out to be. :evil:

I have read many posts about people trying to figure this out and wondering why someone hasn't cracked it.

I really will feel defeated if I have to use those power resistors. :(

Tim
Would you share the colorized diagram you mentioned in your post?
Or is that the one that I have prepared recently? If so, there is no difference from the one in Wing Admin's post.

Mr Magic Fingers

Post by Mr Magic Fingers » Tue May 02, 2017 9:15 pm

WingAdmin wrote: I used two stainless worm screw clamps on each one to strap them to the frame underneath the seat, next to the side bags, one on each side. They work very well there. I looked for pictures - but I don't think I ended up taking any, or at least can't find them at the moment.
Thanks Wingadmin... that where I was snooping around looking to place them. I know it's the easies thing to do but my second name is "Mr. Mod" and I have it in my blood to reverse engineer things to make them better.

If anyone out there has a defective one of these that is willing to send it to me, I'll pay for the shipping. I can "un pot" it and find out what makes it tick.

Thanks again,

Tim

Mr Magic Fingers

Post by Mr Magic Fingers » Tue May 02, 2017 9:27 pm

Bluewaterhooker0 wrote:At this point, the only remaining advantage is the rapid on/off cycle of LEDs, which have a crisper appearance when flashing.
The crisper on/off times is exactly what I am looking for.

I am making some pretty unique changes to the lighting in the front end of my bike which I am documenting and will post here when done. For this I will need that "crisp" cycle between on/off that only LEDs can provide. I think it is not only a better "look" but also a more noticeable look to get attention.

Attention is what I am going for. I had a really scary near miss last year... actually two in one week. The second really shook me up as when everything stopped moving, I was with-in 3 inches of the car that didn't see me... and we were facing one and other across a 4 way stop. The 3rd car there was an RCMP. :) Buddy got a ticket.

Tim

Mr Magic Fingers

Post by Mr Magic Fingers » Tue May 02, 2017 9:33 pm

Erdeniz Umman wrote:Would you share the colorized diagram you mentioned in your post?
Or is that the one that I have prepared recently? If so, there is no difference from the one in Wing Admin's post.

Here it is... It's been around for a while. If you have a color one I would love to "see" it. I can provide you an email address in a PM if you care to "show" me. ;)

Thanks,

Tim
Attachments

Erdeniz Umman

Post by Erdeniz Umman » Wed May 03, 2017 2:09 am

Mr Magic Fingers wrote:
Erdeniz Umman wrote:Would you share the colorized diagram you mentioned in your post?

Here it is... It's been around for a while. If you have a color one I would love to "see" it. I can provide you an email address in a PM if you care to "show" me. ;)

Thanks,

Tim
It has been shared in this forum, I think you missed that. Here it is once more. It is a PDF file, you can download and use it easily.
http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/2-g ... agram.html
Last edited by Erdeniz Umman on Wed May 03, 2017 2:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

Erdeniz Umman

Post by Erdeniz Umman » Wed May 03, 2017 2:21 am

Mr Magic Fingers wrote:

Thanks,

Tim
Actually all of the diagrams mentioned tell the same thing. Simply you explained it incorrectly, the one that WingAdmin added is from ETM, which is focused on some part of the complete diagram.

The one I have prepared is like yours, but has a better quality. You can focus and focus on it as in the ETM, so in most cases you will not need to use ETM diagrams, and will have a better understanding of the circuitry.

As a final note, in the diagram you posted, every component has been redrawn and the relay 7 (position relay) has been shown as the same as the other relays while doing that, which is wrong, it should be normally closed (NC), not normally open (NO).

Mr Magic Fingers

Post by Mr Magic Fingers » Wed May 03, 2017 5:22 am

Erdeniz,

Yes... my explanation of it was based on what I saw. What I was wrong.

One thing that jumped out at me right away after looking at your much clearer wiring diagram was the connection of the Blue/black wire has connection to the TSCCU as well as to the relay/fuse box. I simply didn't see the connecting dot on my version. The little dot changes a lot in the potential explanation. :)

Thanks for posting a much clearer wiring diagram and if you did the colorization to it, double thanks for your hard work. I know I will put this to good use!

Tim

Corkster52
1988 GL1500 (sold 4/17)

Post by Corkster52 » Wed May 03, 2017 5:48 am

Erdeniz Umman » Wed May 03, 2017 3:21 am

The one I have prepared is like yours, but has a better quality. You can focus and focus on it as in the ETM, so in most cases you will not need to use ETM diagrams, and will have a better understanding of the circuitry
Thanks again for posting the diagrams a while back!

Erdeniz Umman

Post by Erdeniz Umman » Wed May 03, 2017 7:15 am

You are welcome. They are more beautiful now.

Corkster52
1988 GL1500 (sold 4/17)

Post by Corkster52 » Wed May 03, 2017 8:16 am

Erdeniz Umman » Wed May 03, 2017 8:15 am

They are more beautiful now.
Has it changed since the last update I can find on March 28th?

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade.
2003 - GL1800A

Post by MikeB » Wed May 03, 2017 10:01 am

In March of last year, user millerized posted his fix for rapid flashing LED turn signals using a solid state flasher on the GL1500.

Check out this posting....

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=32079&hilit=flasher
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

Erdeniz Umman

Post by Erdeniz Umman » Wed May 03, 2017 11:41 am

Corkster52 wrote:
Erdeniz Umman » Wed May 03, 2017 8:15 am

They are more beautiful now.
Has it changed since the last update I can find on March 28th?
Version 3 is the latest one. Version 1 and 2 are removed from the link not to confuse you.

Corkster52
1988 GL1500 (sold 4/17)

Post by Corkster52 » Wed May 03, 2017 12:15 pm

Thanks. I can use all the help I can get.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin » Wed May 03, 2017 1:04 pm

MikeB wrote:In March of last year, user millerized posted his fix for rapid flashing LED turn signals using a solid state flasher on the GL1500.

What he did was replace the flasher, and took the flasher apart and installed a resistor IN SERIES with the output of the flasher. This adds resistance to the overall bulb circuit, and makes the bulbs "look" like regular incandescent bulbs to the turn signal canceller. Because it is in series with the bulbs, it doesn't need to be a high power resistor. This will work.

However.....

Because the resistor is in series with the new LEDs, it is lowering the voltage and limiting the current flow available to the LEDs. The end result is that the LEDs are not putting out anywhere near the level of brightness that they are designed for or capable of.

Putting the power resistor in parallel with the bulbs allows the full voltage, and as much current is required to get to the LEDs, and as a result they flash at full brightness.

There's no free lunch! :)

What you COULD do is this:

On the output of the flasher, cut it and instead put it through the coil of a 12 volt automotive relay. Add a resistor if required to get the turn canceler to behave. Then supply 12 volts to the relay, and hook up the lights to the output of that relay.

Now the original flasher is just operating the coil of the second relay, and the turn canceller is none the wiser. The second relay is the one that actually operates the lights.

You'd have to do this twice over, once for the turn signal flasher, and once for the hazard flasher.

Erdeniz Umman

Post by Erdeniz Umman » Wed May 03, 2017 3:53 pm

WingAdmin wrote:
MikeB wrote:In March of last year, user millerized posted his fix for rapid flashing LED turn signals using a solid state flasher on the GL1500.

What he did was replace the flasher, and took the flasher apart and installed a resistor IN SERIES with the output of the flasher. This adds resistance to the overall bulb circuit, and makes the bulbs "look" like regular incandescent bulbs to the turn signal canceller. Because it is in series with the bulbs, it doesn't need to be a high power resistor. This will work.

However.....

Because the resistor is in series with the new LEDs, it is lowering the voltage and limiting the current flow available to the LEDs. The end result is that the LEDs are not putting out anywhere near the level of brightness that they are designed for or capable of.

Putting the power resistor in parallel with the bulbs allows the full voltage, and as much current is required to get to the LEDs, and as a result they flash at full brightness.

There's no free lunch! :)

What you COULD do is this:

On the output of the flasher, cut it and instead put it through the coil of a 12 volt automotive relay. Add a resistor if required to get the turn canceler to behave. Then supply 12 volts to the relay, and hook up the lights to the output of that relay.

Now the original flasher is just operating the coil of the second relay, and the turn canceller is none the wiser. The second relay is the one that actually operates the lights.

You'd have to do this twice over, once for the turn signal flasher, and once for the hazard flasher.
WingAdmin,
I read that link again and again, and all I understand is, he has replaced the shunt inside the flasher with a resistor but, then removed it and used it as he bought from the shop, and the auto cancel function is not cancelled.

Am I missing something?

Dusty Boots
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Aspencade
2013 Victory Cross Country Tour

Post by Dusty Boots » Thu May 04, 2017 10:07 am

Sorry for taking this off topic Tim, but it is somewhat related. ....

I was thinking on installing LED run/stop and turn signal lights in just the rear of my bike, thinking that with the stock incandescent turn signal bulbs up front, I wouldn't need to add any resistors/electronic flashers due to the resistance of the front bulbs.
Am I correct, or wrong in my thinking??? Anyone else try replacing just the rear run/stop/turn signal bulbs with LEDs?

Erdeniz Umman

Post by Erdeniz Umman » Thu May 04, 2017 11:39 am

Dusty Boots wrote:Sorry for taking this off topic Tim, but it is somewhat related. ....

I was thinking on installing LED run/stop and turn signal lights in just the rear of my bike, thinking that with the stock incandescent turn signal bulbs up front, I wouldn't need to add any resistors/electronic flashers due to the resistance of the front bulbs.
Am I correct, or wrong in my thinking??? Anyone else try replacing just the rear run/stop/turn signal bulbs with LEDs?
Turn signals and rear run/stop lights have different wirings, so they are independent from each other.

For the rear run/stop lights I have used led bulbs. A proper run/stop LED should have built in diodes, otherwise you may have a cruise control problem.

You may want to add a diode as in the following link, if your bulb does not have a diode between run and stop leads.

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/2-g ... olved.html

For the rear turn signals, you may try and see if it hyper flashes or not. I haven't tried but, in my opinion, it will flash quicker than before, but maybe not too much.