LEDs and flashers - ya... that again...

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
Charlie1Horse
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200A Aspencade
1992 GL1500I Interstate

Re: LEDs and flashers - ya... that again...

Post by Charlie1Horse » Thu May 04, 2017 9:51 pm

I have changed just the rear lights with LEDs and not the front. The turn signals do flash somewhat faster but not hyper. And I don't have cruise so, I don't know about any problem with that. My 92 Interstate's auto cancel hasn't worked since I bought it 2.5 years ago and I have gotten used to turning them off manually so, I can't say about the auto cancel. I like the LEDs better though because they last long and are much brighter and easier on the charging system and battery. I am in the process of modifying the cornering lights to LED with the same units I have installed for tail/stop lights so I will have constant lights at all times and brighten on turn for cornering but I don't have any other lights added to the bike.
Russell

Those who say it cannot be done should try not to interrupt those who are doing it.

ct1500
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Post by ct1500 » Sat May 13, 2017 5:45 pm

Charlie1Horse wrote:I have changed just the rear lights with LEDs and My 92 Interstate's auto cancel hasn't worked since I bought it 2.5 years ago and I have gotten used to turning them off manually so, I can't say about the auto cancel.
There is no auto cancel feature on the Interstate model.
Local and need repair help with your 1500, Valkyrie or ST please click contact
Nothing leaves my shop till its' perfect
This is what I do

coolrunning
Motorcycle: 1999 Honda GL1500A Goldwing Aspencade
50th Anniversary
1970 Honda 350SL (first love)

Post by coolrunning » Tue May 30, 2017 10:41 pm

Bluewaterhooker0 wrote:This isn't an answer to your question, but my thoughts on the never ending hyper flash / cancelling debate.
I have LEDs just about everywhere but my turn signals, for just the reasons pointed out. After looking at the solutions a while back, I started questioning the need, or desire for LEDs in the turn signals.
The 3 benefits I can come up with are: 1) They use less electricity, 2) They theoretically last forever, and 3) Their flash is more distinct because of their rapid on/off feature.
The down sides I can come up with are: 1) If you have to add resistors to the circuit, they probably draw just about the same current as OEM bulbs when all is said and done, 2) Since we are talking about a bulb with VERY intermittent use (only when turn signals are in use), they probably are not a high failure item, and are very easy to change if they do fail, 3) Since most of these LEDs come from China, with dubious manufacturing qualities, will they really last nearly forever ?
At this point, the only remaining advantage is the rapid on/off cycle of LEDs, which have a crisper appearance when flashing. I decided to forego the LEDs in the turn signals, avoid the hassle, and keep the self cancelling feature of the bike as designed.
Just something to consider.
Excellent points. I have come to the same conclusions and am ready to switch my turn signals back to incandescent bulbs. I am not all that impressed with the LEDs I had installed. I did a left/right comparison and the OEM bulbs were actually brighter and filled up the lenses better. They are pretty easy to change.
Coolrunning

Mr Magic Fingers
Motorcycle: 1991 1500A

Post by Mr Magic Fingers » Wed May 31, 2017 2:14 pm

Hey guys...

I have solved the issue with the electronic blinker and auto cancel of the signal lights. This is without the use of the power resistors. I really didn't want to use them.

I will post my solution here in the next few days.

I have been quite sick the last week or two and my mother had passed away so I haven't updated this thread but I will get back to it with pictures and the works! hahaha

Tim
1) Experience - something you don't get until after you need it.
2) A closed mouth gathers no foot.
3) DON'T HAVE TIME TO DO IT RIGHT? WHEN WILL YOU HAVE TIME TO DO IT OVER?

My PHOTO ALBUM http://goldwingdocs.com/UserPictures/Mr ... gers_39232

Bluewaterhooker0
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing GL 1500 SE

Post by Bluewaterhooker0 » Wed May 31, 2017 5:14 pm

Someone else on the forum did come up with a way to use the LEDs without the power resistors. And, he claims it maintains the full cancel and cruise control functions of the bike. I ordered one of the flashers, but have not yet installed it. So, I can only go by what is presented in the forum link.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=32079

David Doyle
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500SE

Post by David Doyle » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:14 pm

I have replaced all of my lights with LEDs except the head light. I also put in a switchback light in the front turn signals so they run white and switch to amber when turn signal is used. I purchased a three wire LED flasher to place the OEM turn signal and 4/way flasher. Everything works even the self canceling unit. Look on EBAY for the LED flasher (Motorcycle Universal Blinker Relay 3 Pin 12V LED Turn Signal Light Flasher)

If you have the tools you can add an OEM three wire connector and the relay flasher will plug right into to the OEM connector on the bike. Caution be careful on wiring the new flasher or you can burn up the self canceling unit in the bike.

Sadanorakman
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500 SE

Post by Sadanorakman » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:35 am

So the LED flasher from eBay maintains the auto cancel function?

Does anyone know what sensing the cancelling unit uses to know when to cancel the flasher? What is the determining input?

Many thanks.
There are two types of people in this world, those that can extrapolate from incomplete data,

Erdeniz Umman
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE

Post by Erdeniz Umman » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:52 am

TSCU will automatically stop providing ground to the flasher, after completing a turn while moving or after completing 500feet (150m).
There is not a timer or lean angle input for the TSCU; only Speedometer pulses to calculate the distance and the angular input from the sensor under the fairing are used in the TSCU.
Last edited by Erdeniz Umman on Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sadanorakman

Post by Sadanorakman » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:59 am

Ahhhh... That's what I was getting at thank you. Is that the bank-angle sensor?

I knew for example that there is no steering position sensor or switch, so was wondering how the bike determines that the turn is complete.
There are two types of people in this world, those that can extrapolate from incomplete data,

Erdeniz Umman
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE

Post by Erdeniz Umman » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:03 am

The bank angle sensor does not have any function here.
The steering angle sensor is under the fairing with a plastic cover between the front forks. And it is the part of the turn signal cancel unit (TSCU) which is inside the steering column.
Attachments

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:43 am

That second picture above is me holding the steering sensor and cancel unit itself, after removing it from the triple tree. It lives inside the steering head shaft - part of it is fastened to the steering head that moves, part of it is fastened to the frame that doesn't move. In that way, it can tell if the steering is off to one side, or straight ahead.

This, along with the speed of the bike and position of the turn switch is fed into the "magic box" circuit inside the cancel unit. I believe it is a simple analog computer (but nobody really knows for sure) that uses some timers and preset values to come up with a set of rules.

If you are not moving, it will not cancel the turn signal.

If you are moving straight ahead, depending on your speed, it will cancel the turn signal after a certain amount of time.

If the steering goes from a "turned" position to a "straight ahead" position while moving, it will then cancel the turn signal.

NO LED flasher will maintain the turn signal cancel function if you install LEDs. The turn signal canceler depends on a certain amount of current being drawn by the turn signal lamps in order to function. When you replace those lamps with LEDs, the LEDs do not draw enough current anymore to allow the canceler to function, so it doesn't.

The LED flasher just keeps the flash rate at a consistent rate.

The only way to keep your turn signal canceler functioning after you replace your turn signals with LEDs is to add two load resistors in parallel with the LEDs, one on each side. The resistor will draw extra current, allowing the canceler to function. You need to use power resistors, as they will heat up when drawing the current.

Sadanorakman

Post by Sadanorakman » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:04 am

Excellent reply THANK YOU!!! I honestly wasn't aware we had a steering position sensor, even though it seems an obvious input to any signal cancellation circuit.