rejetting an 89 gl1500

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
tackwest
Motorcycle: 1989 gl 1500

rejetting an 89 gl1500

Post by tackwest »

so, I have an 89 gl1500 with the off idle hesitation and a mid range bog. I have removed the carbs and cleaned them twice. Both times the carbs were spotless, even after complete disassembly and sonic cleaning. I reassembled them and installed them checking the vacuum hoses as I went. All good, even the one below the rubber pad. Did the idle drop and carb sync as well. No change. The bike only has 26000 mi on it. I am a powersports mechanic by trade, so I am familiar with rejetting and it feels like this bike is very lean. My question is, has anyone replaced the pilot jet with a #60 and main jet with a 158 or 160, and what was the result? I have researched this without hearing about anyone doing this and the clear result. Also, what are the Keihin part # for the main jets? Thank You.

ct1500
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Re: rejetting an 89 gl1500

Post by ct1500 »

I can guarantee that when the machine rolled off the showroom floor it ran correctly with the OEM jets. After nearly 30 yrs. of use and untold PO wrenching the jets are suddenly now not the right ones and the reason behind a lean running condition that has developed.

A malfunction most likely in the air jet or shot air systems or improper vacuum line routing or incorrect carb adjustments is more likely the reason for the onset of a lean running condition. All jets can be gotten here.

https://www.jetsrus.com/a_jet_kit_stree ... 8-1991.htm
Local and need repair help with your 1500, Valkyrie or ST please click contact
Nothing leaves my shop till its' perfect
This is what I do

tackwest
Motorcycle: 1989 gl 1500

Post by tackwest »

I agree that the bike came off the assembly line correct, but something has caused the off idle hesitation. I bought it with 12000 miles two years ago and PO never touched it except for maintenance, which was done by a honda dealer outside Boston. As I understand it, the 1500 jetting was changed for the 1990 model. The bike runs and pulls well, just has that abrupt transition when starting off and an ever so slight bog at about 2700 RPM in top gear. I also feel that the initial fuel screw setting indicates a too lean pilot circuit. I am under the belief that any street use vehicle is set up to run lean for EPA regulations. I will take your advice and dig deeper, but am still curious about the advantage that a jet change might have from someone that has done it. Thanks for the response.

topgun
Motorcycle: 2003 GL1800

Post by topgun »

Not trying to start anything but if they were perfect from the factory why was there a Low speed drivability TSB that included jets and other items?
my 88 was a bit lean until warmed up and the 4* trigger helped, not sure if the tsb had been applied before my ownership.

For your carb questions I hope it is ok to cross-link to another site.....
http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/2-g ... olved.html

ct1500
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Post by ct1500 »

The TSB was model year specific for the 88 well before the 89 production run started. It was for slight hesitation not the bogging down condition that some machines might have happen during their lifetime. Again, there can be many causes on the 1500 that will result in a lean running engine that must be investigated first.

The link showed that the OP never even checked the accelerator pump.:?: Not a model for diagnostic work as to what the actual fault may have been he just covered it up by installing larger jets.
Local and need repair help with your 1500, Valkyrie or ST please click contact
Nothing leaves my shop till its' perfect
This is what I do

backuptruck
Motorcycle: GL1500 1989 base model with reverse, 140,000 miles
DL650 Vstrom ABS 2009

Post by backuptruck »

Not sure how these posts work. New here. Trying to address 'tackwest' (username).
Here I go...
The posts petered out on the subject of you rejetting to #60 slow jet. What was your result?
I am doing same thing to get a 'stronger' launch after experiencing a hesitation on a right turn after a stop and nearly falling over.
My 1989 GL1500 has original 50’s after Honda's recall in July 1988 substituted 55’s.
Any advice welcome.
Dave