servicing fuel gauge on 1500

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
hotwire
Motorcycle: 1985 gl1200 aspencade, sold
1988 gl 1500
2006 1300 VTX
2007 V Star 1100 Silverado, sold
2002 GL1800 abs

servicing fuel gauge on 1500

Post by hotwire »

Hey, guys, I have an '88 1500, and of course, it falls into the notorious category of incorrect fuel gauge. (For some reason, mama Honda seems to always get at least one thing wrong, Lol. Don't mean to criticize, just need help from some of you perhaps who have had the same problem. Gauge reads full when you fill tank, but is incorrect in that it reads way lower than actual tank volume after use.When the gas does get low, the low fuel light does work, and is really close to being correct, but gauge at this point has shown empty for a while. I pulled the sending unit, checked the ohms per manual, appears to be within specs, so I assume dash gauge itself is to blame. Checked Honda Parts House, item is (of course), no longer available, at least thru them. So before I do further shopping, just wanted to know if any you guys know if the gauge may, in your opinion, be the culprit. Haven't really seen any posts dealing with this much, maybe I'm looking in the wrong place. By the way, the coolant gauge appears to be working correctly, mention this, because I know some times a low voltage regulator is used on other vehicles for these gauges, but did not know about the 1500. May be a moot point as I said the temp gauge seems to be just fine, Thanks for any and all comments :)

ka4yqi
Motorcycle: 2012 goldwing trike with RoadSmith hts1800 kit
2007 Kawasaki 1600 Nomad
1999 Honda Valkyrie Interstate
Sold = 1998 Goldwing Se

Re: servicing fuel gauge on 1500

Post by ka4yqi »

I think your going to find out most all 1500 goldwings are that way. I know my 89 and 98 has the same thigs going on. You can bend the rod on the level sensor in the tank and make it read like you want it to. I just use to it and use the trip odometer to figure out a out what i need. Good luck with the 1500, I have enjoyed mine.
Bluewaterhooker0
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing GL 1500 SE
2008 GL1800 with 2018 California Side Car Trike Conversion

Post by Bluewaterhooker0 »

It's been suggested multiple times that you arrange to have the fuel tank exactly 1/2 full, right at 3 gallons, maybe 3.3 gallons (the tank holds 6.3 if I recall). The Fuel warning light generally comes on at 5 gallons down, or 1.3 gallons remaining. Then bend the float rod so that the gauge reads 1/2 full when mounted in the tank reading that half full tank. This means the gauge will sit on Full for a while when you first start riding (not terribly untypical of many gas gauges in automobiles). But, at least when it is reading an accurate 1/2 tank, it should then be close to empty when the Fuel Light illuminates. Mine has been like that since I got the bike. It provides a good representation of your fuel usage. Since the mileage on my bike can vary between 35 and 43 mpg, on average, I'm not fond of watching the odometer for my fuel indicator. On previous bikes I owned, the mileage was much more consistent than the 1500, so the gauge method was pretty reliable. Not so much on the Wing.

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/2-g ... gauge.html

NOTE: Before you remove the fuel pump, be sure the tank is nowhere near full, as the fuel pump mount is below fuel level. You'll have gas pouring out everywhere.
Erdeniz Umman
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE

Post by Erdeniz Umman »

hotwire wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:36 pm Hey, guys, I have an '88 1500, and of course, it falls into the notorious category of incorrect fuel gauge. (For some reason, mama Honda seems to always get at least one thing wrong, Lol. Don't mean to criticize, just need help from some of you perhaps who have had the same problem. Gauge reads full when you fill tank, but is incorrect in that it reads way lower than actual tank volume after use.When the gas does get low, the low fuel light does work, and is really close to being correct, but gauge at this point has shown empty for a while. I pulled the sending unit, checked the ohms per manual, appears to be within specs, so I assume dash gauge itself is to blame. Checked Honda Parts House, item is (of course), no longer available, at least thru them. So before I do further shopping, just wanted to know if any you guys know if the gauge may, in your opinion, be the culprit. Haven't really seen any posts dealing with this much, maybe I'm looking in the wrong place. By the way, the coolant gauge appears to be working correctly, mention this, because I know some times a low voltage regulator is used on other vehicles for these gauges, but did not know about the 1500. May be a moot point as I said the temp gauge seems to be just fine, Thanks for any and all comments :)
Here are my notes I have recently shared in this forum.

It is a common issue on the GL1500 fuel gauges.
You could bend the float arm down to read the level correctly.

Remove the seat,
Remove the fuel pump,
Locate the float arm with your left hand while your body facing backwards,
Bend the float arm with your thumb while holding the arm with other fingers,
Check the gauge and repeat it until the gauge reads correctly,

When calibrating mine, I emptied the tank completely and added 4lt (1 galon) of fuel (fuel light should come on in 3 min when the fuel pump is reinstalled), and bent the float arm so that the fuel gauge will read just below E line.

After that, I checked the gauge while refueling and it read correctly as I added 5-10-15-20 liters of fuel (24 liters=6.3 galon total).

After this calibration the fuel gauge will show Full and stay there for the first 100km (60mil), and then will start showing correctly for the rest, which is more important for us.
J Manolis
Motorcycle: 1990 Honda Goldwing SE

Post by J Manolis »

I did this repair after my ride, today. Only took a half hour from start to finish. I followed the instructions posted above.