Headlight does not come on immediately after starting..

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
vv0350
Motorcycle: 97 GL1500 SE

Headlight does not come on immediately after starting..

Post by vv0350 »

We have a 1997 GL1500, SE trike.....
About two years ago this happened the first time....we let the bike sit for a few hours in the cool of the evening and when we started it up...no headlight..but it started fine...Another bike guy said to just let it warm up...something about evening moisture issues ??...and in about 90 seconds the headlight came on.
Well, four nights ago, we went to a movie and when we got out...Yep, it started right up and all the lights worked except the headlight....In about two minutes, the headlight just came on... Then, last night, we went to a movie and the same thing happened..It was about 9pm...the bike started and all light worked but the headlight...in about 60 seconds the headlight came on.....I just do not know where to start with this kind of "off and on" again problem..
It's been a humid summer here in Oklahoma...and fog almost every morning the last week or so.....
Maybe the starter switch is dirty...???

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Re: Headlight does not come on immediately after starting..

Post by RBGERSON »

Suspect connectors I'd start in the headlight assembly..and work back to the switch. pull apart clean..seal with silicone spray???
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

bellboy40
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE Candy Spectra Red

Post by bellboy40 »

It does sound like your start/reverse switch is not working properly. I would first try spraying some electrical contact cleaner on that switch while pushing in the button a bunch of times. You will likely have better results opening that switch housing up where you can get to the switch better. There are two screws under the housing to remove and then you can separate the housing halves to get to the switch.
If that doesn't help (which I believe it will) you can go to this thread and find instructions on how to remove and disassemble the switch for a more thorough cleaning.

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/1500startbutton.htm

Erdeniz Umman
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE

Post by Erdeniz Umman »

Two questions to understand the problem.
1. Do you have headlights on when you turn the key ON before starting the bike?

2. After starting the bike, do you have headlights on when you move the reverse lever UP? And goes off again when you move the lever down?

vv0350

Post by vv0350 »

Never used the reverse lever either time.
The headlights are not on when you turn the key ON before starting the bike.

Erdeniz Umman

Post by Erdeniz Umman »

vv0350 wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:05 am
Never used the reverse lever either time.
The headlights are not on when you turn the key ON before starting the bike.
Ok, can you try it now? It is important to save time.

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade
183K Miles
2017 - GL1800 Audio Comfort
10K Miles

Post by MikeB »

It may be as simple as a dirty START switch or a weak spring in the START switch.

When the START switch is depressed, the headlight is supposed to go out to allow for more current to the starter. When the START switch is released, the contacts mate in the switch and complete the circuit for a relay to re-apply power to the headlight.

The next time you start the bike and you have the headlight problem, gently pull out on the start switch to see if the headlight comes on.
MikeB
1998 - GL1500 w/184,500 miles ~ 2017 - GL1800 w/13000 miles
USAF Avionics Communications Tech - 18 Years / Flight Engineer C-130E - C-141B - 6 Years. Retired.
Industrial Maintenance Tech - 22 years.
Retired in Tacoma, WA

vv0350

Post by vv0350 »

I just went went out try all this...
Put the key in the ignition and turned it slightly to the right...no head light ...turned it back off and again turned it slightly to the right and now the headlight came on...turned the key a little more to the right and the light went out and the starter engaged and the bike started up as the light came back on again..

vv0350

Post by vv0350 »

The light came back on again when I released the key and allowed it to drop back to the left..

Erdeniz Umman

Post by Erdeniz Umman »

Sorry I couldn't get an answer to my question, and couldn't understand what you have checked.

kane67
Motorcycle: Honda GL1500-88

Post by kane67 »

?? An aftermarket car ignition switch? By using ignition key to turn power on and start...

MikeB
183K Miles
10K Miles

Post by MikeB »

kane67 wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:39 pm
?? An aftermarket car ignition switch? By using ignition key to turn power on and start...
I do not think that is what he is saying. He maybe saying the switch is a little worn and not not making proper electrical contact when the key is rotated to the ON position.
MikeB
USAF Avionics Communications Tech - 18 Years / Flight Engineer C-130E - C-141B - 6 Years. Retired.
Retired in Tacoma, WA

vv0350

Post by vv0350 »

In case I was confusing before:
I went out and put the GW key in the GW ignition switch and turned it slightly to the right, I believe the accessory position and there was no head lights ..then ..... I turned the ignition off and then immediately back to accessory again and the headlight came on...I turned the key a little more to the right, and the light went out as the starter engaged and the bike started up . Immediately, as it started up, the headlight came back on again..
I sprayed it all with electrical contact cleaner and tried it all again...The switch and headlights all seems to work now...but..
I gather that the possible, probable real problem is a dirty or weak/worn/old 1997 Ignition switch...?

MikeB
183K Miles
10K Miles

Post by MikeB »

vv0350 wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:25 pm
In case I was confusing before:
I went out and put the GW key in the GW ignition switch and turned it slightly to the right, I believe the accessory position and there was no head lights ..then ..... I turned the ignition off and then immediately back to accessory again and the headlight came on...I turned the key a little more to the right, and the light went out as the starter engaged and the bike started up . Immediately, as it started up, the headlight came back on again..
I sprayed it all with electrical contact cleaner and tried it all again...The switch and headlights all seems to work now...but..
I gather that the possible, probable real problem is a dirty or weak/worn/old 1997 Ignition switch...?
I don't think it is a worn or dirty ignition switch. I really think it is the start button switch assembly that was preventing your headlights from coming back on after the engine was started.

The headlight is not supposed to come on in ACC (Accessory) so that is normal operation.
With the ignition switch in the ON position, the headlight comes on and it is supposed to go out as you depress the starter switch so that is normal operation.
The headlight is supposed to come back on as you release the start switch, whether the engine is running or not, so that is normal operation.

If you go from ACC and then slightly rotate the ignition switch toward ON, the light will come on because you are making contacts in the switch. So that is normal operation.
MikeB
Retired in Tacoma, WA

bellboy40
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE Candy Spectra Red

Post by bellboy40 »

If you will get some contact cleaner and spray the start switch, as advised in the second post after your original post, I think you will fix the problem. If further action is needed, then follow the directions in the link in that same post.

Erdeniz Umman

Post by Erdeniz Umman »

bellboy40 wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:56 pm
If you will get some contact cleaner and spray the start switch, as advised in the second post after your original post, I think you will fix the problem. If further action is needed, then follow the directions in the link in that same post.
When I read the text I understand that he does not use the start/reverse switch on the right handle bar to start the engine.

So I suspect the ignition key switch is not OEM (as kane67 mentioned) or he has a stuck starter/reverse switch or relay which starts the bike as soon as he turns the ignition key ON.

Vv0350, do you start the bike as in the following video?

Never miss a video: Subscribe to the GoldwingDocs YouTube channel today!

nome
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 Standard
1983 GL1100 Interstate
1973 Triumph Bonneville
1996 GL 1500 Aspencade

Post by nome »

Ok - I have this same problem. The start switch doesn't always return fully, and has to be gently pulled out to re-engage the headlights. There seems to actually be 2 dead spots that can cut out the headlights. I've opened the switch cover and used contact cleaner. I also tried to access the 'starter button' link on this forum and couldn't access it. Any suggestions? Thanks!