What are the symtoms of fuel pump relay failure ???

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
wingdings
Motorcycle: Honda Goldwing gl 1989

What are the symtoms of fuel pump relay failure ???

Post by wingdings » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:59 am

Hi - All - been fixing up my friends 1988 euro wing - The bike when ignition is turned on does not cycle the fuel pump - Yesterday I changed out number eight relay along with number three as well with new relay's - and the starter solenoid was changed too for a new one - this was because the bike sometime started and other times did not ?? - although now the bike is up and running now - I am still wondering why the fuel pump does not cycle when the key is turned on ??? The bike now works perfect apart from that ??? ...

Could it be the fuel relay has gone -Hence no - cycle on the fuel pump ??? - Question here is what would be the symptoms if was the fuel pump relay that had gone ?? -

Would the bike still work normally ??? :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Re: What are the symtoms of fuel pump relay failure ???

Post by virgilmobile » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:09 am

I'm referencing my 88.
It has the oem ignition control module and carb control module.
The fuel pump is operated by a special "relay".
This relay does provide a short self test when power is applied in the form of a 2 second volts to the pump.After that,ignition pulses from the ignition coil keep the relay energized.
It's possible that you simply cannot hear the pump run.A volt probe on the wire would confirm if it's actually getting volts.
The pumps are submersed in fuel in the bottom of the tank and may be just that quiet.

wingdings
Motorcycle: Honda Goldwing gl 1989

Post by wingdings » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:24 am

Hi - virgilmobile - Many thanks for help in this matter - I have been unable to go back to my friends bike yet as he works shifts - so until he goes back on days again - I wont be able to do anymore - however - I Did come up with one way of checking the fuel pump was working - Pull the pipe off and put another one on draining into a bucket - Start the bike up and see if it was pumping fuel out - I myself like to have things working as they were designed too .

I am not like my friend who owns the bike - who takes the view - If it works it don't need mending !!! - I take the view proper servicing saves a world of pain - more so because these bikes are so heavy too !!- So if they do break down you little or no chance of pushing them home , better to sort out the problem properly in the first place rather than being stuck out on a highway with the rain pouring down your neck blaming the bike for your own short sighted ways in the first place yes ?? .. lol .. and again - virgilmobile many thanks for your help too - info is king when you own a wing !!! :) :) :) :) :)

Goldwinger365
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500 Aspencade
2006 GL 1800

Post by Goldwinger365 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:23 pm

The fact that the bike starts and runs normally is a pretty good indication that all is well with the fuel pump and relay.The other problem you mentioned,no start,could have been caused by any number of things, depending on the symptoms of "no start".Did it not crank?Did it crank and not fire?Alot of variables,and since more than one relay was changed,hard to say what actually fixed it.Anyway,good to hear that I'm not the only one who's extremely particular on repairing these Wings.