what are the common leak spots on the coolant system - on the 1500's ???

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
wingdings
Motorcycle: Honda Goldwing gl 1989

what are the common leak spots on the coolant system - on the 1500's ???

Post by wingdings » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:08 pm

Hi - All - I own a 1989 k - wing U.S - import model - I started the bike up today just to give it a warm up ( I am a big believer in running the bike up to temp and letting the fans kick in - more so if you are over wintering the bike - keeps the fluids moving around the engine yes ! ) When I noticed steam was coming out of the side vents just behind where the fans are sitting !!! ??? .

I have looked underneath the bike on the lower cowling there is a small drip of coolant but nothing poring out at all - at first I thought it was the weep hole on the coolant pump but it does not seem to be coming from there either - ??? . I checked the coolant level and the is no change in the level at all still at where I topped it up last .. ???? I am running the bike on evens waterless coolant - So defo no danger of the coolant boiling over either - as this stuff never ever boils over !!! ... I am due to take the carbs out over next few weeks - I know there are lots of pipes too under the rubber mat - too I was wondering if one of those had gone ?? :? :? :? :? :?

What I want to ask fellow wing owners - On here is what are the common leak spots on the coolant system - On the GL 1500's ??? :? :? :? :?

Erdeniz Umman
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE

Re: what are the common leak spots on the coolant system - on the 1500's ???

Post by Erdeniz Umman » Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:12 pm

The coolant hoses are losing flexibility by the time, and the clamps are getting loose.

You could tighten the clamps carefully, or if you could locate the leak, replace the clamp with a wider one to get a better grip.

wingdings
Motorcycle: Honda Goldwing gl 1989

Post by wingdings » Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:41 pm

Many thanks there - for your speedy reply - too there - will look into that one tomorrow now - I did find this also on here - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=19843 - must admit too - it did give me the willies a bit lol :D :D :D - oh the joys of owning a wing hey - lol :D :D :D

fnickel
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500SE

Post by fnickel » Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:56 am

I have never seen leaks coming from the hoses or clamp areas from the bikes that I have seen. That is most likely not your problem. I too have had a coolant leak problem, primarily over the winter during storage when it gets cold up here in Canada. It would get worse every winter, and during the summer I could constantly smell the antifreeze. I would periodically need to top up the coolant. The coolant would also puddle on the right hand side of the engine, just inboard of the RH cylinder head. I know that the 1500's have a history of developing leaks from the O-Rings at the coolant tubes because of ageing. The coolant tubes insert into the engine block at various places, and the O-Rings are supposed to keep them from leaking. The coolant hoses then clamp over the coolant tubes to seal the system. When the bikes age, the O-Rings dry out and get brittle and lose their ability to seal.
Last winter, I was going to remove the carbs and replace all the O-Rings on the coolant tubes, and rebuild the carbs. I ran out of time, so I decided to just re-do the 2 easiest coolant tubes to get at, the ones at the front of the engine at the top corners of the transmission cover. This is directly behind the front wheel. When I did this, 99% of my leak issues were gone. I no longer have puddling of coolant on the engine, and I can't smell it any more either. Just my luck that it was these 2 tubes that were the major cause of the problem. I plan to do the others this winter, along with the carb rebuild. I would also suggest replacing the thermostat while everything is open, so you don't need to do it later at some point. There are about 6 of these coolant tubes that should have the O-Rings replaced. I would have to check the diagrams again to make sure, but I ordered all the parts at the same time along with the thermostat. Now that I am retired, I hope to have a little more time this winter to get at this job. It looks like a pretty big undertaking, but should be worthwhile to hopefully keep the bike going for another couple of decades.

89 1500
Motorcycle: 89, 1500 candy wineberry gone to another owner
92 Aspencade Cambridge blue

Post by 89 1500 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:11 am

Had the same problem a few years back. First suggestion I got was that the factory left clear tape on the radiator inlet and outlets. I pulled the hoses and radiators and found clear tape on both radiators. Cleaned and reassembled with new good hose clamps and still had an issue. I could smell antifreeze and sometimes see a puff from either the fan area or sometimes just below the left bar. Second suggestion was that the overflow tank had a crack and I found the cap and tube in the tank had failed. When the temp came up it would drip down the side and on the motor. Glad it wasn't the overflow tank cause it's a real p.i.t.a. to get out.