HOW TO INSTALL THE MARKLAND FLOOR BOARD AND HEEL TOE SHIFTER

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
skywatcher67
Motorcycle: 2000 Goldwing gl1500 SE Trike

HOW TO INSTALL THE MARKLAND FLOOR BOARD AND HEEL TOE SHIFTER

Post by skywatcher67 »

Good morning all!

I have a 2000 Honda Goldwing GL 1500 Se Lehman Trike.

Just bought used Markland Floorboard and Heel Toe Shifter.

Two questions:

I was told this will fit my 2000: true or false?

If it will, can someone direct me on how to install them? I have no clue.
I am not sure i even have all the parts for the job.

thanks
Skywatcher

curtm
Motorcycle: 91 GL 1500 Aspencade Anniversary Canadian Edition

Re: HOW TO INSTALL THE MARKLAND FLOOR BOARD AND HEEL TOE SHIFTER

Post by curtm »

skywatcher27, Can have a look a few posts down is a pic of how they bolt to the frame, i will take more pics tomorrow of how they go on, should be the same as mine
Curt

curtm

Post by curtm »

Attachments

skywatcher67

Post by skywatcher67 »

curtm wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:35 pm
skywatcher27, Can have a look a few posts down is a pic of how they bolt to the frame, i will take more pics tomorrow of how they go on, should be the same as mine
Curt
Thanks a lot man🦅

Is yours a 2000 1500 also

Skywatcher

skywatcher67

Post by skywatcher67 »

curtm wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:35 pm
Curt
Also I am looking for a lower left side cowl. I was in a wreck and mine got three large cracks.

Thanks again

curtm

Post by curtm »

Mine is a 91, i believe they are the same
Curt

skywatcher67

Post by skywatcher67 »

ok.

did you have a chance to take pictures of your bike with the markland installed?

don't suppose you have or know how to get instructions?

thanks for your help.

Skywatcher

curtm

Post by curtm »

give me a week or and i can get pics with them installed, waiting for a shifter seal
Curt
Sorry no instructions, come with the bike

97Aspy
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500A Glacier white

Post by 97Aspy »

I think these are the instructions you are looking for. Top of the page click on Manuals for 1500.

/Docs/Markland%2 ... -DDF6B.pdf

Good Luck
Rick

skywatcher67

Post by skywatcher67 »

Thanks a lot Rick just what I needed!

Thanks for your help also Curt!

By the way, anyone know where I can get a new/used lower cowl?

This is a great site for Wingers!!

curtm

Post by curtm »

Little late ,but here ya go

baba67
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 Aspencade
1997 GL1500 SE W/ Voyager trike kit

Post by baba67 »

Very good advice and the installation sheet is right on.
I would suggest when you are installing the kit to look Carefully at the shifter shaft seal for oil leakage and move the shift shaft side to side to see if it is worn.
And then consider purchasing the shift brace and installing one on your wing.
Pricy.
But you will not regret it.
I installed the new seal and brace on my 1997 GW 1500 SE.
Available here in another tread.
see shift brace.
Good luck, and Merry Christmas day.

wingdings
Motorcycle: Honda Goldwing gl 1989

Post by wingdings »

I totally agree with the last post - defo install a shifter brace - I took the markland floor boards off my bike !! found them to be sloppy and was causing a oil leak on the shifter oil seal stripped the lot off and went back to a factory standard set up - with a shifter brace - defo 100% better shifting now !! smother changing - also changed out the oil that make a difference to !! .... :D :D :D :D :D :D

mikenbrenda
Motorcycle: 1995 Honda Aspencade 20th Anniversary Edition

Post by mikenbrenda »

I just got used 1995 Aspencade with these installed, are they ok, or take some getting used to?, the 1 time i rode it home it was weird, but then i see maybe they might be nice, but i read some people riding them, so whats the real story on these things, sure not the norm that i was used to..lol

blupupher
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500 SE

Post by blupupher »

the '94 I just got has them, and I do not like them.
I am getting used to the brake setup, but the shifter is just horrible. I get a cramp in my leg from having to move my leg weird to use the heel shifter and lifting my leg so much to use the toe part. I can't just rest my foot on it and do heel toe at the same time, it is either toe or heel.
I see that I can adjust the height (they are mounted in the upper position), so I will lower them, plus I have a lot of slop in the shifter. I have a shifter brace on the way, so when I get that, I will lower the floorboards and adjust the shifter more to my liking and see if that fixes it. If not, I will be in search of OEM pegs and controls.

I can see a benefit if you are only doing long distance riding, but if doing around town riding, these are annoying so far. Like I said, I am reserving final judgement till I get them adjusted a little better and give them a little time.
1994 GL1500 Goldwing SE

CrystalPistol
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500SE/'98 Lehman Trike

Post by CrystalPistol »

blupupher wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:37 am
the '94 I just got has them, and I do not like them.
I am getting used to the brake setup, but the shifter is just horrible. I get a cramp in my leg from having to move my leg weird to use the heel shifter and lifting my leg so much to use the toe part. I can't just rest my foot on it and do heel toe at the same time, it is either toe or heel.
I see that I can adjust the height (they are mounted in the upper position), so I will lower them, plus I have a lot of slop in the shifter. I have a shifter brace on the way, so when I get that, I will lower the floorboards and adjust the shifter more to my liking and see if that fixes it. If not, I will be in search of OEM pegs and controls.

I can see a benefit if you are only doing long distance riding, but if doing around town riding, these are annoying so far. Like I said, I am reserving final judgement till I get them adjusted a little better and give them a little time.
Yep, back in the '00s my left knee was driving me crazy on the trike with stock pegs & shifter, so I bought the "Add-On" low boy floorboard kit, I hated that H&T shifter though, so I modded it in stages.
First time, I cut the heel part off and modified the toe end to allow my toe to go under or over it, but on upshifts the arc of the toe tab dug into my foot ...
Then lastly ... I did away with that idea, but used the steel shift adapter as a base ... to make a new & longer shifter with no linkage, made the tab part to accept a stock Honda 1500 shift rubber too. I also liked the "heel rest" on the right or braking side, so I wanted one for the left as well, one stout enough to even stand on if needed. I used the brake lever "toe tab" after cutting it off the brake lever and welded it to the FB mount on the left side, polished my welds and clear coated them, look like chrome still. I cut the Honda OEM brake toe pad off and welded that onto the Add-On brakle pedal arm. Very pleaesed. I can ride with feet on FBs, on Cruise Boards, or with my heels resting on the matching "heel rests" at will .... for changes.

I also have a shifter brace in place. In the pictures, my shifter arm is black, but I recently covered it with polished aluminum for "looks". Initially I had a longer "arm" with another hole to allow the toe tab be moved for winter boots, but I cut the excess off as it's as easy to just make a offset adaption if ever needed. I also cut that uneeded tab with hole for the linkage off since I had cut the H&T shifter boss off years ago, repainted it too. I thought about welding up a filler for where the H&T pivot boss was, but it was easier to polish the cuts & smooth & CC them than to rechrome the whole mount.
Make Courtesy your "Code of the Road" …

… & Have a Safe Trip!
:)

blupupher

Post by blupupher »

Seems some love these things, and others hate them.

I just lowered the boards to the lower position and they feel better to me there, but the shifter is still very sloppy with no support. I tried adjusting it more to my liking, but just can't get it right now.
Made a quick video showing how much movement I have in the shaft/shifter:
[YouTube]

Never miss a video: Subscribe to the GoldwingDocs YouTube channel today!
[/YouTube]

I will delay my decision of what to do till I get the shift rod brace installed and ride for a bit before deciding what to do.
I want the shifter brace regardless of which way I go, so no wasted money there.
1994 GL1500 Goldwing SE

CrystalPistol

Post by CrystalPistol »

blupupher wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:25 pm
Seems some love these things, and others hate them.

I just lowered the boards to the lower position and they feel better to me there, but the shifter is still very sloppy with no support. I tried adjusting it more to my liking, but just can't get it right now.
Made a quick video showing how much movement I have … etc …

I will delay my decision of what to do till I get the shift rod brace installed and ride for a bit before deciding what to do.
I want the shifter brace regardless of which way I go, so no wasted money there.
I didn't realize they made the FB mounts with a upper & lower position option now … But now I see. Mine are not so equipped. You used to get either FB "highboys" or "lowboys". I had noticed extra holes, just never gave them any thought when I saw them on other bikes/trikes until you mentioned moving yours. :lol:

That play you have, I had same and is was a part of what I didn't like and tried several things before finally eliminating the linkage all together. I also did not like the idea of lifting a leg attached to a foot and using that weight through the heel to upshift my transmission. You'll like the change with the brace, but you'll need to cut the front FB mount spacer shorter by the thickness of the shift brace mount.

… & Have a Safe Trip!

blupupher

Post by blupupher »

CrystalPistol wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:09 am
That play you have, I had same and is was a part of what I didn't like and tried several things before finally eliminating the linkage all together. I also did not like the idea of lifting a leg attached to a foot and using that weight through the heel to upshift my transmission. You'll like the change with the brace, but you'll need to cut the front FB mount spacer shorter by the thickness of the shift brace mount.
Yeah, I read that somewhere else that I had to cut the spacer, or used something else as a spacer with the brace.
Not really wanting to cut it since if I don't like it I will try to sell it, and selling it with a cut spacer would be a bit problematic.
Will decide when the part comes in though. Wish I knew someone with a lathe or in a machine shop.
I guess I could use a bunch of washers as a spacer till I decide for sure.
1994 GL1500 Goldwing SE

CrystalPistol

Post by CrystalPistol »

blupupher wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:48 am

I guess I could use a bunch of washers as a spacer till I decide for sure.
Well, yeah the spacer is smooth chrome. The "hook" that hooks on the protection bar leg just above supports weight, so you could use a piece of shorter steel water pipe as a temporary short spacer in it's place.

… & Have a Safe Trip!