Suggestions on fixing my screwup

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
gnirwin
Motorcycle: 98 Goldwing SE

Suggestions on fixing my screwup

Post by gnirwin » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:08 pm

Having purchased a high mileage 1998 GoldWing I started the process of updating it from end to end. I replaced the Timing belts first and immediately afterwards started running rough and backfires. I believe I screwed up by not marking the position (alignment) of the timing marks prior to removing the belts. I am pretty sure what’s wrong but don’t know how to go about fixing it with the least amount of labor. My thoughts are there is very little adjustments to the pulleys (half tooth?) to correct but really don't want to damage the engine in trying. Any recommendations on how to correct the timing? Any Ideas would be welcome at this time.

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Re: Suggestions on fixing my screwup

Post by virgilmobile » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:29 pm

There are no adjustments to the cams.
The crank is turned by HAND to TDC mark and each cam pulley has a mark that alignes with the casing marks.
Dont get anal about a half tooth.Youll have to get right down level with the marks to see them properly.They always look off when standing up.
Double check the crank position marker and both cam markers.Loosen the idler as needed to slip the belt for alignment.
One or two teeth off will make it run bad..3 or more can cause valve damage and loss of compression in one or more cylinders.
Always..turn the crankshaft by hand/wrench and never backwards loosening the bolt.
I prefer this with all the plugs out for ease.
Rotate the crank 2 more times by hand and recheck the belt tention.A couple more turns and check again before you hit the starter button.

bluthundr31
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500 Interstate (Cinnamon Beige)

Post by bluthundr31 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:21 am

As usual, Virgil is 100% correct with his comments.

You might consider reviewing the DIY article on this site about the timing belts, its one of the best ones I've seen,
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=9774

It is one of the easiest DIY's for these beasts, but also one of the MOST IMPORTANT to do correctly.

Good luck

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800

Post by AZgl1800 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:32 am

Make sure the piston is at Top dead center, use a wire in the spark plug hole.
~John

gnirwin

Post by gnirwin » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:25 am

my marks are ecactly lined up. i have read all the articles you suggest. the articles tell you to mark the positions of the lines prior to removing belts because they are not always dead on...i didnt do this now im trying to determin what positiont the lines need to be...I was thinking im not the 1st petson that has ever done this and that being said is there a sound, relativily easy way to correct my mistake.

Big Blue UK
Motorcycle: GL1800 Monarch

Post by Big Blue UK » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:01 pm

Post some close ups of your 3 timing marks.

Strange, one tooth out and easy to see the timing marks would be way off.
If at first you don't succeed, hide the evidence.

bluthundr31
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500 Interstate (Cinnamon Beige)

Post by bluthundr31 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:10 am

Tell me if i got this right, , , older bike, but new to you, , , It ran without backfiring and wasn't running rough before you changed the timing belts. You changed timing belts and now it is running rough and backfiring. All the timing marks line up just like in the video properly. , , ,
If all the above is correct, then read on, , ,

1. did you remove the spark plugs when you turned the crank in the right direction, and/or did you look at the plugs before you changed the timing belts?

2. Double check the condition of each plug, AND the gap on the plugs.

3. Double check that the correct plug wires are on the correct/corresponding spark plug. I've seen these beasts run rough with 2 spark plug wires accidentally put on wrong plug. (maybe could cause the backfiring too)

Big Blue UK
Motorcycle: GL1800 Monarch

Post by Big Blue UK » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:06 am

Is the backfiring coming from one side or both, it will tell you if the crank is out or just one of the cams.
I reckon it has nothing to do with timing marks out of alignment.
Just to say it has been done if not, turn the crank until the cam marks both line up at least 5 times, each time check crank position.
If the pulleys are 100% lined up, there is no way a cam or crank pulley can be re fitted one tooth out if removed.

1/Check and test the pulse generators, I mean really check them, not just to see if they seem fitted correctly, testing is easy.
2/ check for any hoses or connectors you may have pulled off, or not re connected.

You must have done something you are unaware of.

Put the covers on, go through the how to without actually removing the belts, to see what has happened or you find the cause
If at first you don't succeed, hide the evidence.

Erdeniz Umman
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE

Post by Erdeniz Umman » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:33 am

There was a recent thread about a engine problem found to be the pulse generators were swapped while reinstalling.

seelyark1
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1998 GL1500 SE Totaled
1984 VT500C
1967 CB550-4

Post by seelyark1 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:26 pm

Erdeniz Umman wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:33 am
There was a recent thread about a engine problem found to be the pulse generators were swapped while reinstalling.
This was my first thought also. If all timing marks are right, then did he remove the pulse gens. If so, did he put them back in the correct location.
Ride safe, and smart. Asphalt is like #1 grit sandpaper. Dave

gnirwin

Post by gnirwin » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:37 am

no, I did not remove the pulse generators. being an average back yard mechanic I took on the belt replacement as "not a big deal". I read on line directions on doing the replacement and completed the process. afterwards with the rough running and backfiring I new something was wrong. I then read elsewhere where it is important to MARK THE POSITIONS because the lines on pulleys might be off. This I did not do. I now need to fix my mistake and am asking if anyone else has had this problem and came up with a sound way to correct. I also posted hopefully if someone else does this job he or she will go about it the correct way and Mark the pulleys prior to removing old belts. It doesn't take much off alignment to get a rough running engine.

WvChamp
Motorcycle: 08 Honda XR650L
96 Honda GL1500SE

Post by WvChamp » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:07 am

I reread this thread 3 times. I did see where it was suggested and confirmed that belts were installed with the piston at TDC. Nowhere did I see it suggested or confirmed that TDC was on the Compression Stroke. (180 degrees out basically).
Just trying to help.
WvChamp

seelyark1
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1998 GL1500 SE Totaled
1984 VT500C
1967 CB550-4

Post by seelyark1 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:57 pm

As Bluthundr31 said "3. Double check that the correct plug wires are on the correct/corresponding spark plug. I've seen these beasts run rough with 2 spark plug wires accidentally put on wrong plug. (maybe could cause the backfiring too)". I looked back at Admins post and it is real easy to swap a plug wire to the wrong plug.

Ride safe, and smart. Asphalt is like #1 grit sandpaper. Dave