My 88 GL1500 Front Forks


Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
Post Reply
my88wing
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:34 am
Location: Dansville,Michigan
Motorcycle: 1988 Goldwing GL1500

My 88 GL1500 Front Forks

Post by my88wing » Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:19 pm




my88forks
my88forks

I watched the how to on the fork rebuilds on the forum. Very well done. So I now have mine apart but they don't look like all the videos I seen. It appears I have 2 slider bushings on each leg instead of just one. I will try to attach the pic. Am I missing something? All the kits only include 1 per tube.



User avatar
MikeB
Posts: 2194
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:54 pm
Location: Tacoma, WA
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade.
2003 - GL1800A

Re: My 88 GL1500 Front Forks

Post by MikeB » Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:51 pm

You are right, they are certainly different than Honda OEM front forks. Perhaps the previous owner had some type of inserts installed. Sorry, can't help you with the identification.
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

DaveO430
Posts: 927
Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:28 pm
Location: Amity. Ar
Motorcycle: 2010 GL1800
2004 Suzuki DR200

Re: My 88 GL1500 Front Forks

Post by DaveO430 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:34 pm

Certainly gives more bearing surface. Good news is they look like new.

User avatar
terryt
Posts: 217
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:52 pm
Location: United Kingdom
Motorcycle: 1979 gl1000 trike
1989 gl1500 trike

Re: My 88 GL1500 Front Forks

Post by terryt » Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:16 am

Have you a better photo of these forks with the lower part. They don't look like 1500 fork tubes

my88wing
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:34 am
Location: Dansville,Michigan
Motorcycle: 1988 Goldwing GL1500

Re: My 88 GL1500 Front Forks

Post by my88wing » Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:38 am

They are 1500..but PO made this a trike with Lehman kit..the repair kit came with 2 slider bushings. They fit perfectly. Guess I need to oder 2 more..

User avatar
terryt
Posts: 217
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:52 pm
Location: United Kingdom
Motorcycle: 1979 gl1000 trike
1989 gl1500 trike

Re: My 88 GL1500 Front Forks

Post by terryt » Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:17 am

my88wing wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:38 am
They are 1500..but PO made this a trike with Lehman kit..the repair kit came with 2 slider bushings. They fit perfectly. Guess I need to oder 2 more..
1500 fork have a narrow section about 2" from the top in between the triple trees

User avatar
Erdeniz Umman
Posts: 693
Joined: Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:33 am
Location: Ankara Turkey
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE

Re: My 88 GL1500 Front Forks

Post by Erdeniz Umman » Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:35 pm

terryt wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:17 am
my88wing wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:38 am
They are 1500..but PO made this a trike with Lehman kit..the repair kit came with 2 slider bushings. They fit perfectly. Guess I need to oder 2 more..
1500 fork have a narrow section about 2" from the top in between the triple trees
I think on 99-2000 models, the fork tubes don't have narrow section you mention.

User avatar
terryt
Posts: 217
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:52 pm
Location: United Kingdom
Motorcycle: 1979 gl1000 trike
1989 gl1500 trike

Re: My 88 GL1500 Front Forks

Post by terryt » Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:46 pm

Erdeniz Umman wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:35 pm
terryt wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:17 am
my88wing wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:38 am
They are 1500..but PO made this a trike with Lehman kit..the repair kit came with 2 slider bushings. They fit perfectly. Guess I need to oder 2 more..
1500 fork have a narrow section about 2" from the top in between the triple trees
I think on 99-2000 models, the fork tubes don't have narrow section you mention.
So the forks seals brought for the 1988 may be different for a 99-2000 forks

User avatar
Erdeniz Umman
Posts: 693
Joined: Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:33 am
Location: Ankara Turkey
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE

Re: My 88 GL1500 Front Forks

Post by Erdeniz Umman » Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:36 pm

terryt wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:46 pm
So the forks seals brought for the 1988 may be different for a 99-2000 forks
No, I have just checked the part numbers of the seal set, they have the same part number as 51490-MN8-305 for 88-2000 models, even for 84-87 GL1200 models.



Post Reply