Problem with playing cassettes

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
Happytrails
Motorcycle: 1991 Goldwing 1500 SE

Problem with playing cassettes

Post by Happytrails » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:52 pm

Been working on adding an aux input to my bike. I made a blank tape and put it in the cassette player and I get the icon on the LCD with the cassette with 2 arrows flashing. So I tried a regular tape and same thing. Everything else works but I've never played any tapes in my bike before. Could this be the fuse 13 blown? Or possibly something else?

1991 GL1500 SE Anniversary Edition
Sun Flare Gold Metallic
Vallant Brown Inset

Happytrails

Re: Problem with playing cassettes

Post by Happytrails » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:00 pm

Checked fuses 2, 9 and 10 as suggested by the service manual. They checked out ok.

Could be my 27yr old tape drive belts need replacing. :o
Sun Flare Gold Metallic
Vallant Brown Inset

Mh434
Motorcycle: 1997 gl1500 SE
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Post by Mh434 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:15 pm

As I recall, any cassette drive that includes "auto reverse" is very sensitive to drag in the cassette tape cartridge. They seem to require a certain amount of wheel drag to recognize there's a tape operating, but not so much as to indicate that the tape's at the end of its run on that side, and so to trigger the auto reverse. I had a LOT of issues with that when I was trying to use one of those false cassette tape/audio-in units to try to input iPhone tunes into one of my cars' tape deck. Sometimes it would run, sometimes it did nothing at all, and sometimes it auto-reversed endlessly.

I had to try several different units before I found one with just the right amount of drag for that particular tape deck.

The fact that your icon is showing both directional arrows makes me suspect this might be the problem. Or, not, but it's an easy one to check, anyway!

shomann
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500 Aspencade

Post by shomann » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:24 pm

Check this out. A better solution than running old tapes, and very easy to set up.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=36704&p=221048#p221048

Happytrails

Post by Happytrails » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:32 pm

Mh434 wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:15 pm
As I recall, any cassette drive that includes "auto reverse" is very sensitive to drag in the cassette tape cartridge. They seem to require a certain amount of wheel drag to recognize there's a tape operating, but not so much as to indicate that the tape's at the end of its run on that side, and so to trigger the auto reverse. I had a LOT of issues with that when I was trying to use one of those false cassette tape/audio-in units to try to input iPhone tunes into one of my cars' tape deck. Sometimes it would run, sometimes it did nothing at all, and sometimes it auto-reversed endlessly.

I had to try several different units before I found one with just the right amount of drag for that particular tape deck.

The fact that your icon is showing both directional arrows makes me suspect this might be the problem. Or, not, but it's an easy one to check, anyway!
Thanks! :D I wouldn't have thought of that. The blank tape I made has like no drag at all. I did try a brand new tape with a little music on it and it didn't help though.

My music source is a Samsung Galaxy S4. And it has one of those TRRS plugs while my lead out of the radio is just a TRS. So I thought maybe if I bought one of those adaptors and give that a try. I guess I'm wondering if the tape needs work for me to get sound out of my aux. input I soldered in? If not then this would work right?

My other idea is to buy a low cost bluetooth dongle and just bluetooth to the S4 eliminating the plug issue. But like before it depends if I dont need that tape functioning. So its a lot of guessing on my part.
Sun Flare Gold Metallic
Vallant Brown Inset

Mh434
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Post by Mh434 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:34 pm

I tried using an FM transmitter (actually, 3 different ones), but found I had to change channels every minute or two due to interference from FM stations, welders, power tools, etc., to the extent that it was completely unworkable.

In the end, I bought a basic-level iSimple unit. It, too, uses FM signals, but they’re wired direct into the radio unit using the bike’s FM antenna cable. The signal goes from your phone, MP3 player, GPS, or other device, through the iSimple box (which disconnects the FM antenna & uses it as a signal-in wire directly to the stereo’s FM radio) & out to your speakers, headsets, or whatever.

They’re quite inexpensive, and there are many models available, depending on options you may want, such as iPhone chargers, etc.

Just something to keep in mind.

Happytrails

Post by Happytrails » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:08 pm

shomann wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:24 pm
Check this out. A better solution than running old tapes, and very easy to set up.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=36704&p=221048#p221048
Thanks! I'm all for easy and its good to have options. Was even thinking about those iSimple setups. I'm gonna try a couple more things with what I've already done before I try another way but will keep this one in mind.
Sun Flare Gold Metallic
Vallant Brown Inset

Happytrails

Post by Happytrails » Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:14 pm

Mh434 wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:34 pm
I tried using an FM transmitter (actually, 3 different ones), but found I had to change channels every minute or two due to interference from FM stations, welders, power tools, etc., to the extent that it was completely unworkable.

In the end, I bought a basic-level iSimple unit. It, too, uses FM signals, but they’re wired direct into the radio unit using the bike’s FM antenna cable. The signal goes from your phone, MP3 player, GPS, or other device, through the iSimple box (which disconnects the FM antenna & uses it as a signal-in wire directly to the stereo’s FM radio) & out to your speakers, headsets, or whatever.

They’re quite inexpensive, and there are many models available, depending on options you may want, such as iPhone chargers, etc.

I've never tried one of those fm transmitters but have read a little about them. They seem hit or miss when it comes to getting a clear signal.

Have read about other goldwing riders and the iSimple. They sound like they work pretty good and the price is right. So when you install one do you put it under the seat? And is it controlled with a switch?
Sun Flare Gold Metallic
Vallant Brown Inset

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800

Post by AZgl1800 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:59 pm

I too, once had a Garmin 660 GPS that had an internal FM transmitter.

it was constantly being over-ridden by FM radio stations as I rode through the country.

I am glad that my current GPS is wired audio direct to the Aux input.
~John

shomann
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500 Aspencade

Post by shomann » Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:04 pm

Happytrails wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:14 pm
Mh434 wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:34 pm

I've never tried one of those fm transmitters but have read a little about them. They seem hit or miss when it comes to getting a clear signal.

Have read about other goldwing riders and the iSimple. They sound like they work pretty good and the price is right. So when you install one do you put it under the seat? And is it controlled with a switch?
Guys,

If you go to my link viewtopic.php?f=6&t=36704&p=221048#p221048 you'll see the combo of my iPod Classic and FM transmitter are strapped around the left pocket. The FM transmitter is plugged into the top of the iPod. Both are rechargeable and run for hours before needing a recharge. The FM transmitter could be plugged into your phone, if you have music on your microSD card internally or streaming music from your phone. It's a dirt cheap 10 bucks and available here https://www.amazon.com/Kocaso-Universal ... B01BX174X0 They can be powered / recharged on the bike easily if you have installed a 12V power outlet usually installed in the left side pocket. I haven't installed a 12V outlet and it's not necessary with this set up. The old iPod classic works really well with it's "click wheel" as it's really easy to change artists or playlists while riding. The display is easy to read in direct sunlight also, unlike your phones display.

Unlike using the FM transmitter's in the car, there's no metal / bodywork to go through and the transmitter is sitting three feet from the giant Goldwing antenna. Reception is outstanding! Just set the frequency where there are no FM stations. Lowest (88.5) should work well just about anywhere.

Highly recommended rather than wasting time on cassette tapes, and it couldn't be easier. You can have your entire music library with you rather than juggling a few tapes in and out of the deck. Keep in mind these transmitters don't work very well in a car, but work great on the wide open bike with a large antenna just feet way.
Last edited by shomann on Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:13 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Mh434
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Post by Mh434 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:04 pm

Happytrails -

Yes, you do. The box is quite small, about half the size of a deck of cards. On a GL1500, at least, it just sits under the seat & doesn't need to be secured. That's a handy place for it, too, as there's an antenna cable connector right under the seat. You disconnect the cable there, and plug both ends into the iSimple box. The box itself gets power & ground from the fuse panel (which is only about 6" away), and run an on-off switch to somewhere on the false tank or such, plus the provided 1/8" "Aux In" jack.

When you turn the switch on, the antenna is removed from the loop, and only the aux-in jack provides signal. You tune to a specific, given FM channel, and you're good to go. Because the antenna is not providing any signal at all when the iSimple box is on, there's absolutely zero interference, and the sound is as good as your MP3 player, iPhone, or whatever can provide. When you turn the switch off, all stereo functions return to normal.

Here's a pic of where I placed my switch & Aux-In jack (I fitted a rain plug for when it's not in use - scrounged off an old portable transceiver). They're both to the left of the gas filler door.

iSimple switch & 1/8" jack port
iSimple switch & 1/8" jack port

I have an MP3 player in the old Garmin GPS I've dedicated to the bike. It works great, and even mutes the music automatically during GPS voice instructions.

I have no connection to the company, but after my experience with the bike's iSimple system, I bought & installed units in my Ford Escape & Mazda Miata. I've had & used them daily for 2 or 3 years, and they've been completely reliable.

There are other versions and other brands, which probably work just as well. As this is the one I've tried, I just thought I'd post my experience with this particular product.

bellboy40
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE Candy Spectra Red
1994 GL1500SE Bermuda Green

Post by bellboy40 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:35 pm

I also have the iSimple FM modulator on my 2000 GL1500. It works great in my opinion and the sound is good to these old ears. I had a wired aux in modification on my 94 model radio and it worked great also but this iSimple device sounds just as good to me and it was very simple to install. In fact it worked so well that I put one in my Corvette also. Here is a link to the ones I got.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002U ... UTF8&psc=1

Happytrails

Post by Happytrails » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:43 pm

Mh434 wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:04 pm
Happytrails -

Yes, you do. The box is quite small, about half the size of a deck of cards. On a GL1500, at least, it just sits under the seat & doesn't need to be secured. That's a handy place for it, too, as there's an antenna cable connector right under the seat. You disconnect the cable there, and plug both ends into the iSimple box. The box itself gets power & ground from the fuse panel (which is only about 6" away), and run an on-off switch to somewhere on the false tank or such, plus the provided 1/8" "Aux In" jack.

When you turn the switch on, the antenna is removed from the loop, and only the aux-in jack provides signal. You tune to a specific, given FM channel, and you're good to go. Because the antenna is not providing any signal at all when the iSimple box is on, there's absolutely zero interference, and the sound is as good as your MP3 player, iPhone, or whatever can provide. When you turn the switch off, all stereo functions return to normal.

Here's a pic of where I placed my switch & Aux-In jack (I fitted a rain plug for when it's not in use - scrounged off an old portable transceiver). They're both to the left of the gas filler door.

IMG_0701.JPG

I have an MP3 player in the old Garmin GPS I've dedicated to the bike. It works great, and even mutes the music automatically during GPS voice instructions.

I have no connection to the company, but after my experience with the bike's iSimple system, I bought & installed units in my Ford Escape & Mazda Miata. I've had & used them daily for 2 or 3 years, and they've been completely reliable.

There are other versions and other brands, which probably work just as well. As this is the one I've tried, I just thought I'd post my experience with this particular product.
Thanks for the help, I was strugglin to understand how these things worked. I've always wanted something like this in my old silverado too. Local radio stations not being very good I used to make bunches of cd's.
Sun Flare Gold Metallic
Vallant Brown Inset

Happytrails

Post by Happytrails » Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:36 pm

Tried a TRS to TRRS convertor and also tried a bluetooth dongle both failed. I did get very weak audio and the more I increased the volume on the radio the more feint the sound got. Pretty sure my connections were ok. So I guess next step is to try one of those iSimple.

Sun Flare Gold Metallic
Vallant Brown Inset