91 Interstate Starting System Diagram?

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
91interstate
Motorcycle: 91 GL1500 Interstate

91 Interstate Starting System Diagram?

Post by 91interstate » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:05 am

Anyone have a image of a 91 Interstate Starting System Diagram?

Bike is in neutral, side stand down, starter engages and spins (assuming that means BAS is working), engine turns over, fuel confirmed after filter before petcock, petcock not verified and that's as far as I got. Does not fire and run. Need more info. Hoping a diagram would shed some light on what else to check. Gas was drained and filled with new gas.

Bike was well maintained and running before it, was parked for 3yrs.

DaveO430
Motorcycle: 2010 GL1800
2004 Suzuki DR200

Re: 91 Interstate Starting System Diagram?

Post by DaveO430 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:46 am

91interstate wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:05 am
Anyone have a image of a 91 Interstate Starting System Diagram?

Bike is in neutral, side stand down, starter engages and spins (assuming that means BAS is working), engine turns over, fuel confirmed after filter before petcock, petcock not verified and that's as far as I got. Does not fire and run. Need more info. Hoping a diagram would shed some light on what else to check. Gas was drained and filled with new gas.

Bike was well maintained and running before it, was parked for 3yrs.
If it's turning over the starting system is working. Is the kill switch on? Have you checked for spark?

ct1500
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Post by ct1500 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:31 am

Parked for three years? Your carburetors are plugged. Remove top shelter and remove petcock output hose, attach another hose to catch any fuel and crank over again looking for fuel flow. If fuel flows reattach hose then spray some carb cleaner/starting fluid into intake air stream (where cardboard is in picture) to see if it will fire up.
Attachments

Local and need repair help with your 1500, Valkyrie or ST please click contact
Nothing leaves my shop till its' perfect
This is what I do

Mh434
Motorcycle: 1997 gl1500 SE
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Post by Mh434 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:37 pm

Just because it's spinning over doesn't mean the battery is good. An extremely common issue with GL1500's is cranking but no ignition. Usually, the battery has enough to spin the engine, but none left over to fire the ignition.

Before tearing the entire bike apart to remove and rebuild the carbs, I'd try jumpering the bike to a known-good (and much larger) battery, and try again. Don't hook it up to a car with its engine running, as it may put in more amps than the bike can handle when the car's large alternator pumps out huge amounts of juice.

Instead, put the extra battery on the floor beside the right side of the bike, connect it with jumper cables (**usual cautions apply - be certain of polarity, and certain there's no chance of a short when connecting & disconnecting the cables**), and spin it over. Chances are, it will start. Even after 3 years of storage, some fresh gas & a can of Seafoam may just have it right back up to 100%. It worked with my GL1500!

bluthundr31
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500 Interstate (Cinnamon Beige)

Post by bluthundr31 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:20 pm

CONFIRM THE "EASY" STUFF FIRST, , , ,

1.) Charge the battery to full charge, OR consider getting a new one. Its best to have 12-13volts to assure a start. (verify charge with a voltmeter)
2.) Kill switch is in ON position, but no start?
3.) Verify spark at spark plugs. TIP: #6 plug (closest to shifter pedal) is easiest to get to. (Just remove the lower side cover held on with rubber grommets.) Spark plug body (not porcelain) grounded to metal ground and crank to see good spark.
4.) Charged battery, spark at plug but no start? TACKLE THE SHUT-OFF VALVE. Easy to get to, its under the "gas door" and a very common source of "no-start" conditions.
5.) Charged battery, spark at plugs, fuel to carbs but no start? NOW it isn't so easy. REMOVE THE AIR FILTER AND TACKLE THE CARBS TO CHECK THE SLIDES, AND FOR GUNKED FLOATS ETC, ,

91interstate
Motorcycle: 91 GL1500 Interstate

Post by 91interstate » Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:11 am

It finally started after four twists of the throttle then hitting the starter. Though only right bank firing. Found "choke" lever does not move all the way down. Did not notice that earlier. Still learning this bike.

Observation showed that only the right carb was injecting fuel when the throttle is twisted. Left side did initially but stopped working. As for the "choke" lever issue, enrichment valves were stuck.

Pulled carb and cleaned enrichment valves until they were working and ran SeaFoam through accelerator pump until it started flowing into each carb. Installed the carb back and bike is running and idling great. Then next day the bike started and idled several times but then last time died. I can start it with choke on but lost idle ability. Tach is not working so guessing by ear 1500 and above is ok. Took it for a spin around the block and found it feels smooth except when coming into a corner where one backs off the throttle coasting into the corner then of course as expected it can't idle and tries to die. This results in me trying to prevent it from dying by gently giving it throttle but surges as it jumps from nearly dying to running again. Not the greatest feeling to have in a corner.

Going to pull the carb again and rebuild it this time. At least I know the bike runs and I'm dealing with a carb issue.