Racetech Gold Valve Emulators

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
brian.peters
Motorcycle: 97 GL1500 SE

Racetech Gold Valve Emulators

Post by brian.peters » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:23 am

Anyone running these

http://racetech.com/page/title/GVWHYGV

And if so how do you like the them. I feel the things they say this corrects and when I thought I had blown fork seals I started looking into it. The kit they sell comes with 1KG springs and the need to make a custom spacer which is a bit of a PITA. However much cheaper than Traxxion and fixes the valving issue the springs alone can't do.

Curious at the 1KG springs as they have options. I'm a 220 pound guy and ride 2 up occasionally with the wife who is lighter than me by a good amount - can't say her weight even if I knew it :)

rrago
Motorcycle: 1998 GL1500se

Re: Racetech Gold Valve Emulators

Post by rrago » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:28 am

Yes.

My '98 came with them installed by the P.O. By the time I owned the bike, the original springs were toast, saggy and diving. I bought a set of Progressive 11-1152's to replace the springs and completely rebuilt the forks. Lo and behold, i found the emulators were in there during the rebuild. Did some searching and it sounded like the emulators were a good upgrade. Left them set where they were when I pulled them out, added the progressive springs and ATF and I'm very happy with the performance, very responsive without being choppy and ZERO brake dive. oh, FWIW, 260 lb guy and mostly one-up with all of our luggage as the wife rides a 2014 865 Bonneville SE.

Rednaxs60
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD (X2), 2008 GL1800 (sold)

Post by Rednaxs60 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:55 pm

Have had the Race Tech springs 1.0 Kg and gold valve emulators installed on my '85 LTD for the last 2 1/2 years and enjoy the ride quality. I am 212 and ride two up quite often, including touring - longest tour was 5200 Kms two up. Changed the oil in November last and adjusted the valves, increased the tension to adjust the valve opening. Highly recommended - good upgrade. My bike is a bit heavy as well. Took it over the scales 1 1/2 years ago and it came in at 925 lbs. Took it over a different scale and still the same number. Same weight as the '08 1800 that I just sold.

There is only 1" of preload for my bike. Race Tech sends a piece of PVC type pipe to achieve this - this is I believe the spacer you are talking about, not a big issue to cut and adjust to suit. You can use a chop saw.

When I did the maintenance on the front forks, I installed a washer at each end of the PVC pipe, better surface between spacer and spring.

You also have to disable the TRAC system, and drill two additional oil holes and enlarge the ones that are there in the lower tube.

Cheers
"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest

brian.peters
Motorcycle: 97 GL1500 SE

Post by brian.peters » Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:54 pm

Thanks both these responses are really helpful. Gonna pull the trigger but it'll be a summer time job. I won't ride when it's tripple digits :)

Red,
Adjusting them will be a chore will it not or is there not alot of preload so you can take the caps off without removing the forks?

Rednaxs60

Post by Rednaxs60 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:30 pm

The preload on mine is 1" above the top of the fork, not a lot of pressure. Were easy coming off so I would think that in the bike not too bad. I bought the tool to put the cap back on. Wasn't in the mood to fight with the forks, will also use it often, have two '85 LTDs to maintain. 1" of preload does require some diligence, but should be able to put caps back on with just your body weight.

Cheers

Ernest

Rednaxs60

Post by Rednaxs60 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:22 pm

Another thought. I found the valve adjustment from the manufacturer to be too little and the feel was very soft. I would recommend adding two turns to the valve spring before putting these in.

Cheers

Ernest