Austone Taxi Tire

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Austone Taxi Tire

Post by WingAdmin »

blupupher wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:12 am so about to install my 175R16 Maxxis Blackwall and was going to give balance beads a try.
What are others using? I was thinking 3oz, but not positive if that is correct.
Looks like 2 oz is what is suggested for the OEM size, but I think the taxi tire has a little more mass so it would need a little more.
2 oz front, 3 oz rear, for running a car tire on the rear.

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: 2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc https://imgur.com/foGDjgv

'02 GL1800 lives in Dawsonville, GA now.
My son is going to enjoy it for many years to come.

Post by AZgl1800 »

blupupher wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:12 am so about to install my 175R16 Maxxis Blackwall and was going to give balance beads a try.
What are others using? I was thinking 3oz, but not positive if that is correct.
Looks like 2 oz is what is suggested for the OEM size, but I think the taxi tire has a little more mass so it would need a little more.
I used 3 oz in my Michie and it was just right 195/55
~John

2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

https://i.imgur.com/4SOFPYS.jpg
blupupher
Motorcycle: 2002 Goldwing GL1800A
1994 Goldwing GL1500 SE

Post by blupupher »

So I finally got to the point of needing to replace my rear and put the Maxxis on. The old tire (Dunlop E4) was down to the wear bars, so figured it was time, but when I took the tire off, found this:

Wow, not sure what happened there or how long it was there for, but glad I got the tire off of there.
I check the tire pretty regularly (at least monthly or before a trip >100 miles), but never noticed this. Maybe I need to get a flash light and look closer from now on.

I changed it myself, getting all the plastics just to get to the point to start taking the tire off was a job in itself.
I envy the 1800's for sure.

I did the tire change using some harbor freight tire spoons and a long prybar. Messed up the rim a touch, but not bad, and you can't see it anyway.
Getting the tire on not as bad as getting it off, I used the zip tie method to get it on.
Getting it seated took more pressure than I wanted to use, but I aired it up and sat it in the bed of my truck in the sun, after about 5 minutes, both sides seated.
I used 3 oz of some knock off dyna beads and pulled off the weights that were on there.
I also lubed everything up (driveshaft and hub using the M77 paste) as well as did a drain and fill on the gear oil.
Got it all back together with just enough time for a quick test ride before having to go pick up my son.

Now the problems I am having is it is rubbing.
At first it was rubbing the little flap thing and I moved that up out of the way, and it spun with no issues (I had less than 1/4 inch between tire and ground when on the center stand, so I could rotate it).
So I went for a quick ride, and it was a constant rub (I am a fat, fat man, and even at 55 psi on the shock (aired up on center stand of course) it still rubs.) It rubs worse on bumps. Not sure exactly where.
I heard of some saying to use a zip tie to fix it, but what exactly am I zip tying to what and where?
Do I have to pull it all back apart to get to it? Will it self clearance? Does it really hurt anything to ride it like that till I fix it (I was wanting to do a ride tomorrow morning, about 250 miles.

I will say in my 2 blocks of riding, I did not notice much difference between this tire and the old one (but I have done darkside before).

On a side note, I found my rear pads are about 2/3 gone, so need to get some to replace them, as well as the left side lower shock bushing is gone (I replaced the right side lower about 2 months ago).
Last edited by blupupher on Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1994 Goldwing GL1500 SE
Sassy
Motorcycle: 1989 gl1500

Post by Sassy »

I had a slight rub on the sidewall of the195/60 I installed. A little heat on the inner fender solved the problem.
Your tire is much narrower though, so maybe it's rubbing the top of the fender.
I wouldn't ride that far without a visual inspection.
Fred
Enjoying the 2xDarkside
Fred
erkmann
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 Audio/Comfort

Post by erkmann »

Blupupher, as you may recall, I also went from Elite 4 to the Maxxis on my 2000 GL1500, tho at 230 lbs body weight, progressive springs front, standard rear shock pressures, tires pressures 40 front and rear, I had no rubbing or I'd have spoken up about it. Scott previously mentioned somewhere using a hot air gun to soften fender rubs and pushing out with his gloved fingers. I don't recall if it necessitated wheel removal or not. Once you get all fixed up you can revel in the fact that you won't have to do all of that tupperware removal/replacement for a loooong time. That's the main reason I went to the dark side...the rear wheel R/R is a total PITA. My Maxxis rides like a dream, initially and now 20K later.
WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin »

Wow, that's a scary tire failure. I'm going to say that's either from impact (pothole) or there is some internal failure in the tire (in the carcass) radially across the tire. You're lucky you didn't keep riding on that.

You also take off a LOT more plastic than I do when changing the rear tire! All I remove are my saddlebags, then drop the tire out the bottom.

As for rubbing, I took a heat gun, turned it on low, and heated up the inner fender where the tire was rubbing until it started to get a bit soft. Then with a welder's glove on my hand, I pushed on the hot inner fender to move it outward a bit and held it there until it cooled. Problem solved.
blupupher
1994 Goldwing GL1500 SE

Post by blupupher »

WingAdmin wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:22 pm Wow, that's a scary tire failure. I'm going to say that's either from impact (pothole) or there is some internal failure in the tire (in the carcass) radially across the tire. You're lucky you didn't keep riding on that.

You also take off a LOT more plastic than I do when changing the rear tire! All I remove are my saddlebags, then drop the tire out the bottom.

As for rubbing, I took a heat gun, turned it on low, and heated up the inner fender where the tire was rubbing until it started to get a bit soft. Then with a welder's glove on my hand, I pushed on the hot inner fender to move it outward a bit and held it there until it cooled. Problem solved.
I took off what was in the how to here (lower trunk lip, saddle bags, exhaust covers, you did not show the license plate bracket thing but that was only 2 more bolts and gave me a lot more room).

So I guess I need to take the tire back off to heat it up.
Worst part is I can't do it till Monday, and I would really like to change the rear pads and the shock bushing if I take it off again, but guess that will have to wait till a later date.
1994 Goldwing GL1500 SE
DenverWinger
Motorcycle: (s)
'80 GL1100 STD Vetter (2005-)
'93 GL1500 Aspencade (2017-)
'83 Trav-Lite Camper (2010-)
Past rides
'72 CL350 (1980-1988) sold
'78 Suzuki GS550 (1985-2005) sold
'77 GL1000 (2002-2006) sold

Post by DenverWinger »

Don't really need to take off the right side bag to remove wheel, just the left...
There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary numbers, and those that don't. :lol:

♫ 99 Little Bugs in the Code, ♪
♪ 99 Bugs in the Code. ♫ :(
♫ Take one down, Patch it around, ♪
♫ 127 Little Bugs in the Code. ♫ ♪ :shock:
~Mark
blupupher
1994 Goldwing GL1500 SE

Post by blupupher »

DenverWinger wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:05 am Don't really need to take off the right side bag to remove wheel, just the left...
How do you get to the axle nut?

I was lubing the drive shaft anyway, so had to take the right side off for that.

Now that I have done it, it will go much faster for sure, I know what needs to come off and exact tools to do it.

I rode the bike too and from work today (6 miles total) so I should have good rub marks on what I need to adjust tomorrow.
1994 Goldwing GL1500 SE
DenverWinger
Motorcycle: (s)
'80 GL1100 STD Vetter (2005-)
'93 GL1500 Aspencade (2017-)
'83 Trav-Lite Camper (2010-)
Past rides
'72 CL350 (1980-1988) sold
'78 Suzuki GS550 (1985-2005) sold
'77 GL1000 (2002-2006) sold

Post by DenverWinger »

blupupher wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:43 pm How do you get to the axle nut?
Just reach behind the bags with an open end wrench. If you intend to service the driveshaft, too (I plan to next time), then removing both bags is necessary.
There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary numbers, and those that don't. :lol:

♫ 99 Little Bugs in the Code, ♪
♪ 99 Bugs in the Code. ♫ :(
♫ Take one down, Patch it around, ♪
♫ 127 Little Bugs in the Code. ♫ ♪ :shock:
~Mark
blupupher
1994 Goldwing GL1500 SE

Got it fixed

Post by blupupher »

OK, got it fixed up.
It was hitting the front of the inner rear fender and "mud flap" there. It had torn one of the rivits out just in the 6 miles I rode yesterday.
View from left rear shock area looking forward:

So I figured out that the zip tie just needs to pull the fender forward/upward. I just used the hole from where the flap pulled out for the ziptie and now no problem at all. I even aired the rear shock to 10 PSI and it did not hit anymore.

I may still drill a hole in the other side and pull that forward as well just to be sure.
Pulled all the plastics off again even though I only needed to take the seat and side covers, but I thought I was going to have to pull the tire again (was planning on using the heat gun method).

So I went on a 150 mile ride today with a mix of road types (high speed (80+), rural roads, twisty roads, bumpy roads, etc) and at first I was not impressed at all.
Low speed was just fine, not a lot different than the E4 I took off, but highway speeds were a little floaty feeling above 80 mph with a little handle bar shake (nothing dangerous, but noticed it). Fast smooth corners were fine, but if I hit a bump during a corner, it was scary how it felt so loose.
After about 45 minutes of this, I decided to air up some more (I was at 40 PSI). I pulled out the air hose and used the onboard compressor for the first time to air up the tires (I have a portable compressor I usually have, but forgot to put it back in the saddle bag before I left today). I was able to get them up to 44 PSI with the onboard, and did not want to push that further, so started riding again.
While not 100%, it was quite a bit better. High speed was more stable, still have a slight issue with a bump while cornering, but was not a scary as before.
I will be airing up to 50 PSI before my next ride (I believe these tires are rated to 55 or 60 PSI?, will double check before doing so).
1994 Goldwing GL1500 SE
WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Post by WingAdmin »

I keep my Austone at 47 psi, and that seems to be the sweet spot for me.

Keep in mind the higher the pressure, the smaller the contact patch.
blupupher
1994 Goldwing GL1500 SE

Post by blupupher »

Yeah, but it will still probably be more contact than a regular motorcycle tire. :D

I looked at the Maxxis and it is rated to 54 PSI.
I set it at 50 tonight, will see how it does over the next few days (tomorrow will only be 3 miles to work and 3 miles back home with speeds below 50 and no real curves, but have a 250 mile ride I will do on Wednesday or Thursday).
I can always drop it a little if I want.
1994 Goldwing GL1500 SE
Sassy

Post by Sassy »

Your going through thd same thing I went through. The sidewall gives more so smooth corner no issue. A bump in the corner causes the sidewall to flex changes the effective diameter of the tire and the bike tends to waddle a bit. I went to 50 psi on a 44 psi max tire helped a bit,, now I just let the damn thing waddle and I slow down a bit. After all, thats what I hoped it would do,, help me SLOW DOWN!!
Fred
Enjoying the 2xDarkside
Fred
minimac
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade
2006 Yamaha Morphous
2011 Silverwing
Y̶a̶m̶a̶h̶a̶ ̶M̶a̶j̶e̶s̶t̶y̶
S̶u̶z̶u̶k̶i̶ ̶B̶u̶r̶g̶m̶a̶n̶ ̶E̶x̶e̶cutive

Post by minimac »

If you want to get real fancy, get a pyrometer ( HF has a cheap one), and check the tire temps across the tire. When the pressure is right for your riding, the temps should be fairly equal all the way across. Like WingAdmin, I found my sweet spot was 47-48psi, with the Austone. With pressures that are too low, the tire will be slightly concaved, and the temps near the edges will be slightly elevated. It also helped that even though it was a radial, the sidewalls were quite stiff.
blupupher
1994 Goldwing GL1500 SE

Post by blupupher »

Well I have another 400 miles on the tire now and can say that upping it to 50 PSI made all the difference.

With it at 40-44 psi, it did not feel safe and I was considering taking it off.
Now at the higher pressure, it feels like a motorcycle tire. It is actually not as flat as other car tires I have used, so no real pivot point with leaning like with some others.
It does handle different than the E4, but not anything more than the difference between an old tire and a new tire of a different brand.
It does feel a little softer in corners, but not dangerous like it did initially. No more floaty feeling at speed either and the "wobbly" steering is gone as well.

I looked at my records and found I got just about 11,000 miles on the E4.
Not horrible, but if I can get 20,000 out of this tire I will be very happy. 30,000 miles would be amazing, but I would need to take the wheel off to lube the splines and drive shaft before that point.
1994 Goldwing GL1500 SE
minimac
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade
2006 Yamaha Morphous
2011 Silverwing
Y̶a̶m̶a̶h̶a̶ ̶M̶a̶j̶e̶s̶t̶y̶
S̶u̶z̶u̶k̶i̶ ̶B̶u̶r̶g̶m̶a̶n̶ ̶E̶x̶e̶cutive

Post by minimac »

Glad to hear that you're liking the higher pressure. The proper pressure makes all the difference in the world. It isn't a one size fits all type of thing. Everyone is different and what works for one may not work for another.
Jetfighter3
Motorcycle: 1993 gl 1500A aspencade

Post by Jetfighter3 »

blupupher wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:26 pm So I finally got to the point of needing to replace my rear and put the Maxxis on. The old tire (Dunlop E4) was down to the wear bars, so figured it was time, but when I took the tire off, found this:
2021-10-15 17.15.46.jpg
2021-10-15 17.15.51.jpg

Wow, not sure what happened there or how long it was there for, but glad I got the tire off of there.
I check the tire pretty regularly (at least monthly or before a trip >100 miles), but never noticed this. Maybe I need to get a flash light and look closer from now on.

I changed it myself, getting all the plastics just to get to the point to start taking the tire off was a job in itself.
I envy the 1800's for sure.
IMG_0986.JPG
IMG_0987.JPG
IMG_0988.JPG

I did the tire change using some harbor freight tire spoons and a long prybar. Messed up the rim a touch, but not bad, and you can't see it anyway.
Getting the tire on not as bad as getting it off, I used the zip tie method to get it on.
Getting it seated took more pressure than I wanted to use, but I aired it up and sat it in the bed of my truck in the sun, after about 5 minutes, both sides seated.
I used 3 oz of some knock off dyna beads and pulled off the weights that were on there.
I also lubed everything up (driveshaft and hub using the M77 paste) as well as did a drain and fill on the gear oil.
Got it all back together with just enough time for a quick test ride before having to go pick up my son.
2021-10-15 17.17.40.jpg

Now the problems I am having is it is rubbing.
At first it was rubbing the little flap thing and I moved that up out of the way, and it spun with no issues (I had less than 1/4 inch between tire and ground when on the center stand, so I could rotate it).
So I went for a quick ride, and it was a constant rub (I am a fat, fat man, and even at 55 psi on the shock (aired up on center stand of course) it still rubs.) It rubs worse on bumps. Not sure exactly where.
I heard of some saying to use a zip tie to fix it, but what exactly am I zip tying to what and where?
Do I have to pull it all back apart to get to it? Will it self clearance? Does it really hurt anything to ride it like that till I fix it (I was wanting to do a ride tomorrow morning, about 250 miles.

I will say in my 2 blocks of riding, I did not notice much difference between this tire and the old one (but I have done darkside before).

On a side note, I found my rear pads are about 2/3 gone, so need to get some to replace them, as well as the left side lower shock bushing is gone (I replaced the right side lower about 2 months ago).
Just FYI, I have a 93 1500, there is a post in here to show you how you can just remove 2 bolts, loosen 2 more and the entire back end lifts up saddle bags and all ,then you tie it off to your handle bars . Great for changing the tire or brakes ect...
blupupher
1994 Goldwing GL1500 SE

Post by blupupher »

Jetfighter3 wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:54 am...
Just FYI, I have a 93 1500, there is a post in here to show you how you can just remove 2 bolts, loosen 2 more and the entire back end lifts up saddle bags and all ,then you tie it off to your handle bars . Great for changing the tire or brakes ect...
I have seen that post, and even saw a video of it, but I do not find taking the rear apart that big of a deal now that I have done it.
It took me about 15 minutes the second time I took them off vs 45 minutes the first time.
1994 Goldwing GL1500 SE
Solo So Long
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500 50th Anniversary SE
1989 GL1500 FOR SALE
A pack of Super Cubs
Z50A (pre-headlight)
Formerly (in order):
Honda Super Cub (bought 1968, sold ?)
Kawasaki Coyote (early 1970s)
Honda 350 (mid 1970s)
Kawasaki KZ900-PS (1977)
Honda Super Cubs (various years)
Kawasaki KZ1000C (1978)
Kawasaki KZ1000P (various years, 1980 - 2005)
Honda 360 (1983)
BMW R1150RT-P (2001)
BMW R1200RT-P (various years 2007 - 2018, NEVER AGAIN)

Post by Solo So Long »

blupupher wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:11 pm
Jetfighter3 wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:54 am...
I have seen that post, and even saw a video of it, but I do not find taking the rear apart that big of a deal now that I have done it.
It took me about 15 minutes the second time I took them off vs 45 minutes the first time.
It also keeps you from breaking tabs on the saddleboxes.
bellboy40
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE Candy Spectra Red

Post by bellboy40 »

I tried that fold-over for the whole rear of the motorcycle one time. It does give you great access to everything on the rear end for maintenance. The problem I had was getting it back in place. Those bottom tabs that are supposed to slide over the bolts at the bottom were a bear to get back in position. I'll never do that again. It is not that hard to remove the bags and anything else needed to get the wheel off after you have done it and know just what is needed.
I won't try to dissuade anyone else from trying it if that is what you want to do, but you won't catch me doing that again.
dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500A
2004 NRX1800 Rune SOLD

Post by dingdong »

bellboy40 wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 7:13 pm I tried that fold-over for the whole rear of the motorcycle one time. It does give you great access to everything on the rear end for maintenance. The problem I had was getting it back in place. Those bottom tabs that are supposed to slide over the bolts at the bottom were a bear to get back in position. I'll never do that again. It is not that hard to remove the bags and anything else needed to get the wheel off after you have done it and know just what is needed.
I won't try to dissuade anyone else from trying it if that is what you want to do, but you won't catch me doing that again.
Ditto. My experience exactly. Never again. Also I only remove the left bag. Not both.
AZgl1800
Motorcycle: 2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc https://imgur.com/foGDjgv

'02 GL1800 lives in Dawsonville, GA now.
My son is going to enjoy it for many years to come.

Post by AZgl1800 »

bellboy40 wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 7:13 pm I tried that fold-over for the whole rear of the motorcycle one time. It does give you great access to everything on the rear end for maintenance. The problem I had was getting it back in place. Those bottom tabs that are supposed to slide over the bolts at the bottom were a bear to get back in position. I'll never do that again. It is not that hard to remove the bags and anything else needed to get the wheel off after you have done it and know just what is needed.
I helped DaveO430 do that job for a friend once, with two of us working on it, it is a fool's errand to do it that way.

took 3 tries to get every thing positioned correctly, both of us swore " We will never, ever, change the rear tire on a 1500 like this again. "
~John

2009 Piaggio MP3 250cc

https://i.imgur.com/4SOFPYS.jpg
offcenter
Motorcycle: 99 Gl-1500 SE
76 GL-1000
77 Honda Trail 90

Post by offcenter »

I agree. Once was enough.
It was almost impossible to get the tabs to slide over the bolts.
George in Jersey.
99 Goldwing GL-1500 SE
76 Goldwing Gl-1000
77 Honda CT-90 "Trail 90"
Sassy

Post by Sassy »

Yes I had trouble the first time too. Next time I used a couple pieces of lexan to act as a pry to allow the tabs to slide over as the bags came down.
Ive never removed the bags do can't make an statement as to which is easier.
Fred

Enjoying the 2xDarkside
Fred