Popping on deceleration

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
Redhot
Motorcycle: Gl1500 K

Popping on deceleration

Post by Redhot » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:33 pm

Generally when I start bike after a couple of weeks, it blows a little blue smoke, even shutting choke off, which goes away after a few minutes. Not sure if this is rich or oil from worn rings. However, today, when I blipped throttle, it popped through exhaust. Not a bang backfire, just popping, which I'm sure I've not heard before. When riding, the same happens on deceleration. When I got home an hour later, it was hardly noticeable. What might be causing this ? I figure any vacuum leaks or blocked pilot jets wouldn't go away after an hour ?

ct1500
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Re: Popping on deceleration

Post by ct1500 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:54 pm

The popping on deceleration is usually caused by an excessive amount of air being pumped into the exhaust (an emission requirement thing). First off check for an exhaust system that might be starting to rot out. Next thing to check is the AIR injection system which requires air filter removal to monitor intake hose at bottom right front of box. When throttle gets rolled off the sucking sound must momentarily cease if not it will cause the popping sound and further diagnosis needs to be done on the system. This is all presumed that the MC is emission equipped and can be confirmed by the presence of the AIR pipes into the cylinder heads. If all OK there my next check point would be the carb and Air Jet Controllers.
Last edited by ct1500 on Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Local and need repair help with your 1500, Valkyrie or ST please click contact
Nothing leaves my shop till its' perfect
This is what I do

Redhot

Post by Redhot » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:55 pm

I'll check that, thanks, but why after a reasonable 1 hour ride doesn't pop ? (It still pops after 15mins, on a warm day). If there was exhaust rot, it would pop the same after a journey ? What would change (heat ?) in that time to lessen the popping ? That's what I find odd. I've just discovered the blue smoke is a bit oil residue after keeping on side stand, doesn't do it after leaving on centre stand, that's a relief.

ct1500
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Post by ct1500 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:39 pm

Your MC is experiencing a problem and for me to speculate why a particular component might be misbehaving at times is premature before some very simple checks are done. The 1500 is just way too complex for easy answers most of the time. :|
Local and need repair help with your 1500, Valkyrie or ST please click contact
Nothing leaves my shop till its' perfect
This is what I do

joeincalif
Motorcycle: 1997 Gold Wing SE

Post by joeincalif » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:12 am

The smoke on start up is normal, especially if you park it on the side stand, Oil seems past the rings and will burn off on start up,
IF YOUR BORN ONCE YOU WILL DIE TWICE
IF YOUR BORN TWICE YOU WILL DIE ONCE

Redhot

Post by Redhot » Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:37 pm

ct1500 wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:39 pm
Your MC is experiencing a problem and for me to speculate why a particular component might be misbehaving at times is premature before some very simple checks are done. The 1500 is just way too complex for easy answers most of the time. :|
Yup ! But you've given me some great starting points, so thanks