Jumps and stalls when put in gear

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
sprtsmn
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500 Interstate

Jumps and stalls when put in gear

Post by sprtsmn »

Went to take the bike out for the first time this year. Checked the oil and the air in the tires. Bike started like normal and I let it warm up a bit. As soon as I put it gear the bike jumped and stalled. Pulled the clutch to put back into neutral and would not come out of gear. Had to roll it back and forth to slip it back into neutral. When I tried to start it while in gear and the clutch engaged it jumped forward like the clutch wasn’t engaged. I figured because it try to start with the clutch pulled that rolled that the clutch switch operated properly and the stand switch operated properly. I found the clutch reservoir empty so I filled it and bled it. Same thing happened. Could it be the slave cylinder has failed completely? I forgot to mention that it is a 1991 1500 Intersate.

bellboy40
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE Candy Spectra Red

Re: Jumps and stalls when put in gear

Post by bellboy40 »

I think I would take a look at the slave cylinder and see if you see any signs of brake fluid around there. That fluid had to go somewhere. It would probably be a good idea to take it off and clean it up anyway and replace the seals in it.

sprtsmn

Post by sprtsmn »

I didn’t see any signs of an external leak. I am assuming it went into the crankcase. So I will be changing the oil and filter after I take care of the clutch issue. Thank you for the response. I just wanted to bounce it off somebody before I spend money on parts I might not need.

DenverWinger
Motorcycle: (s)
1980 GL1100 STD Vetter (2005-)
1993 GL1500 Aspencade (2017-)
1983 Trav-Lite Camper (2010-)
Past rides
1972 CL350 (1980-1988) sold
1978 Suzuki GS550 (1985-2005) sold
1977 GL1000 (2002-2006) sold

Post by DenverWinger »

The clutch plates may simply be "stuck together", this can happen if the bike has been just sitting a while.

If you are sure you have all the air bled out of the hydraulics and the clutch lever feels "normal" but the clutch still won't disengage, here's how to free "stuck" clutch plates:

With bike on center stand, start engine, put bike in 1st gear and run the revs up to around 3000 RPM. Rear wheel will be spinning. Pull the clutch lever in all the way, then stomp on the rear brake and hit the gas both at the same time. This will break your stuck clutch plates free and return the clutch to normal operations.
♫ 99 Little Bugs in the Code, ♪
♪ 99 Bugs in the Code. ♫ :(
♫ Take one down, Patch it around, ♪
♫ 127 Little Bugs in the Code. ♫ ♪ :shock:

~Mark

bellboy40
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE Candy Spectra Red

Post by bellboy40 »

Yes it is possible, maybe even likely, the clutch plates are stuck. But he still needs to find where the fluid is going and fix that.

sprtsmn

Post by sprtsmn »

My one big concern was that my clutch cylinder was empty. I had no external leaks and the bike was fine before I stored it for winter. Now it has been a very long winter for us so it is very possible that they are stuck. Thank you for the advise. I haven’t done anything to the bike yet so I will look into that.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (sold)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2012 Suzuki Burgman 400 (wife's!)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin »

More likely that there is air in the line, and the clutch is not being completely disengaged because of it. And the air is there because it was sucked in after the reservoir was drained. So fix the problem causing the drained reservoir, refill and bleed the clutch system, and I would bet the problem is fixed.

But absolutely clean and perhaps flush the crankcase.

sprtsmn

Post by sprtsmn »

Thank you for all the advise. It was the slave cylinder. It was pretty much blown out. I changed the oil. Put a new cylinder on and bled it. Hopefully going to get out this weekend for a ride. Weather pending. It is Michigan.

Bettynbillinga
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200A, 2010 GL1800, 2018 HONDA FURY

Post by Bettynbillinga »

I have an 84 1200 standard. My problem started with a leaking sight glass in the clutch master cylinder. After fixing the leak I refilled with DOT 4 and checked to see if the clutch would disengage the rear tire with the clutch in. It did not. I bled the system at the master cylinder banjo bolt, slave cylinder banjo bolt and bleeder valve on the slave cylinder housing. I put the bike in gear with the engine off and depressed the clutch and it would not disengage the rear wheel. I tried the process described above by putting the bike in gear starting and rev to 3000 rpm and jammed the brake with the clutch in and no success. I did this several times and it still will not disengage. Could it possibly be the slave cylinder? I am new to this forum and appreciate any help I can get.

Happytrails
Motorcycle: 1991 Goldwing 1500 SE
2018 Ural Gearup

Post by Happytrails »

I'm not familiar with the 1200's but sounds like its possible. The 1500's have a piston and rubber seal(s) so if the piston isn't pushing the pushrod to the clutch when you pull the lever the clutch wouldn't disengage. There isn't much to them and they aren't hard to service (on a 1500). You could try taking yours apart and rebuilding it. There has to be replacement parts available I'd hope. :)
1991 GL1500 SE Anniversary Edition
Sun Flare Gold Metallic
Vallant Brown Inset

Bettynbillinga

Post by Bettynbillinga »

Thank you for the rapid response. I have ordered speed blenders to give it one more try at bleeding before going into the slave cylinder.i understand that trying to bleed the 1200 clutch can be a real challenge.

Happytrails
2018 Ural Gearup

Post by Happytrails »

Anytime, hope it goes well. I looked but didn't see any guides although people saying its similar to rebuilding the slave cylinder on a 1500 so thats good. I'm sure someone who has/had a 1200 will chime in and be more help than me. But I did find this blog that somebody did rebuilding there 1200 slave and it does look very similar to a 1500. And it looks like the parts are readily available. Good luck! :)

http://goldwingrebody.blogspot.com/2013 ... build.html
Sun Flare Gold Metallic
Vallant Brown Inset

Bettynbillinga

Post by Bettynbillinga »

Well the story continues. I received the speed bleeders and ran a quart of DOT4 through the slave cylinder and no change. I removed the slave cylinder with the clutch line still connected and activated the clutch and the piston moves out but easily goes back in. I thought the piston may have been stuck so I put it back together and no difference. I removed the slave cylinder again and removed the piston and spring and there was significant corrosion so I guess my next step is to get the cylinder kit. It shows available at Cheap Cycle Parts for $102.00.

Happytrails
2018 Ural Gearup

Post by Happytrails »

Sounds like progress. :D You might want to compare prices to Partzilla. Both really good although Partzilla sometimes has better pricing.
Sun Flare Gold Metallic
Vallant Brown Inset

Bettynbillinga

Post by Bettynbillinga »

The Honda shop in my town gets their parts from Partzilla which is just across town. I don't have to pay shipping. I appreciate the response.

Bettynbillinga

Post by Bettynbillinga »

And the story continues. I received the speed bleeders, ran a bottle of DOT4 through the slave cylinder and still no clutch. I ordered and installed a new slave cylinder, ran another quart of DOT4 through the slave cylinder and still no clutch...... I removed the slave cylinder again and just lightly depressed the clutch and the piston comes out and will not depress with the clutch lever depressed but will retract with the clutch lever released. I tried starting the engine, put it in gear, revved the engine to 3000 pulled in the clutch in hit the rear brake and applied the throttle and still no help. Did this several times but gave up for fear of damaging something. Any help is greatly appreciated.