A little bit of a rant and a WHOLE LOT of thanks

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
FearSys
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500SE

A little bit of a rant and a WHOLE LOT of thanks

Post by FearSys » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:56 pm

After 15 years without a motorcycle I went out and bougnt my first (very) used Goldwing last summer. It's a 1994 GL1500 SE with 101K on it when I bought it. It had some issues but I have a well stocked tool box and have always worked on my own stuff. I rode it a bit this summer with plans of timing belts and such this winter. As I dug into it, the more I explored the more problems I found. I knew the bike had a coolant leak when I got it and thought I found the source to be the clamp on the left radiator. During reassembly after the timing belt job, I moved the radiator trim and found a huge blob of (saturated) JB weld on the bottom of the left radiator. I found a cheap replacement on ebay from an '89...we'll see how good it really is when I start it up for the first time.
Anyway, I'll spare the long winded story of my adventures with repairing this bike to say thank you. I have used this forum extensively to learn not only how to repair it, but what issues to look out for going forward. Some forums I have been to for other topics have a lot of information but the "community" is not very friendly...a lot of trolls out there.
Thanks again to all of you who share your knowledge.

Happytrails
Motorcycle: 1991 Goldwing 1500 SE

Re: A little bit of a rant and a WHOLE LOT of thanks

Post by Happytrails » Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:46 pm

Working on my bikes gives me a closer connection to them. I've never worked on them as extensively as I have on my goldwing. Theres a certain satisfaction to it. :D
1991 GL1500 SE Anniversary Edition
Sun Flare Gold Metallic
Vallant Brown Inset

curtm
Motorcycle: 91 GL 1500 Aspencade Anniversary Canadian Edition

Re: A little bit of a rant and a WHOLE LOT of thanks

Post by curtm » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:14 pm

FearSys, I have owned bikes for years and enjoy knowing all i can about them, one of the challenges with the goldwings is it takes time to get to stuff to repair, Cooling systems on these bike seem to be a little bit of a bear and hard to work on, I have had issues with mine with small coolant leaks, I have had the front shrouds off no less than 4 times this winter, all seems good then a little drip of coolant , take it a part again only to have to change hose clamps etc, I dont mind spending the time to shake it down before riding season, I dont like working on it when i should be rinding it.
Curt