SHORT LEGS !! - BIG PROBLEM ???

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
wingdings
Motorcycle: Honda Goldwing gl 1989

SHORT LEGS !! - BIG PROBLEM ???

Post by wingdings » Mon May 21, 2018 1:28 pm

Hi - Folks - Just finished fitting brake pads to my friends 1998 SE 1500 wing there - the bikes now ready its MOT - However my friend has a bigger problem !!! ??? .. He cannot get both feet flat on the ground -as he only has a leg size of 29 inchs - he has paid £250 pounds at the trimmers to get the seat lowered - but that just meant that he could get his toes touching - Yesterday I ended up selling my corbin seat to him (which is the lowest seat I can think of for a Goldwing 1500- yes ?? ) that helped a bit however he still cannot get his feet flat down - I have told him this could very dangerous if the road has a high camber on one side - the wing could end up on top of him the guy is about the size of Richard Hammond ( hamster off of the top gear program - He has only just bought the wing he loves it to bits too ..

So what I am asking folks and fellow wingers on here - Does any one know another way around this apart from him selling his wing ?? :? :? :? :? :? :?

bellboy40
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE Candy Spectra Red
1994 GL1500SE Bermuda Green

Re: SHORT LEGS !! - BIG PROBLEM ???

Post by bellboy40 » Mon May 21, 2018 2:32 pm

When he comes to a stop he should move forward on the seat toward the narrower part. That will help him reach the ground easier. Did the people that worked on his seat cut it down narrower at the front? That will let him get his legs closer together and therefore able to reach the ground easier.

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Post by dingdong » Mon May 21, 2018 2:51 pm

Might try platform boots.
https://www.amazon.com/Demonia-V-cre573 ... ycle+boots
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Mh434
Motorcycle: 1997 gl1500 SE
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Post by Mh434 » Mon May 21, 2018 5:32 pm

Well, if he's the size of the Hamster, he DOES have a problem!! :lol: (we TG and GT fans are well familiar with Richard Hammond!).

Another possibility would be to lower the rear air pressure a tad. It doesn't take much to lower the bike another 1/2" - 1". Mind you, using the side & center stands becomes a bit challenging if you lower it too much! :shock:

Uncle Fester
Motorcycle: 1996 GL-1500 Cali model 'Wing, blue in color, named Ol'Blue

Post by Uncle Fester » Mon May 21, 2018 6:52 pm

Do not recall the company name, but they where present at the Wing Ding Tulsa some years back, anyway, they offered a lowering deal that dropped the rear of the bike like 2”. Another thought is loosen the pinch bolts on the fork trees, and slide about 1” of the tubes through, lowering the front of the bike by 1” that way . . . . might help.

Just looked it up, was Wing Ding 31 (2009) that was at Tulsa. Contact GWRRA and they SHOULD be able to point you in the right direction.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do.
So throw off the bowlines.
Sail away from the safe harbor.
Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore,
Dream,
Discover!

Mark Twain

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD
1987 Harley Softail Custom
1974 Harley FLH (sold)
1965 Harley FLHE (sold)
1957 Harley Chopper (sold)

Post by themainviking » Mon May 21, 2018 7:25 pm

And additionally, he could get boots with a higher heel, so both toe and heel can touch the ground. Uncle Fester is correct tho, but I do not know if for 1500s or not. I have an acquaintance that both he and his girlfriend are shorter than short. He has a two inch lowering kit on his rear shock and she has a three inch lowering kit (both bikes are GL1800s). And then they slid the fork tubes up about an inch or maybe even a bit more, as Fester mentioned. It can be done, but it is a bit of work and not cheap. And the last suggestion that I will give is - perhaps trike it?
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

offcenter
Motorcycle: 99 Gl-1500 SE
76 GL-1000
77 Honda Trail 90

Post by offcenter » Tue May 22, 2018 8:06 am

I'm a bit short and can't flat foot mine either. But I've gotten used to it. Just be careful.
The original owner of my bike, my buddy, is VERY short. For the life of me I don't know
how he rode this bike for 17 years, but he did. If you want to ride it bad enough,
you'll find a way.
George in Jersey.
99 Goldwing GL-1500 SE
76 Goldwing Gl-1000
77 Honda CT-90 "Trail 90"

wingdings

Post by wingdings » Tue May 22, 2018 2:12 pm

Many- many thanks to all the folks that have replied so far, my friend loves his wing as all fellow wing riders will understand my only concern with this is that if the bike does go over on his leg when he tries to put his foot on the floor we all know the wing is a very heavy bike for the best of us to handle but even more so for a small guy with short legs !! - Yes .. ??

I have read all the messages that have been sent and I am looking into them all too - he has already tried the thicker sole option - he had a pair of boots made up however he found he could not change gear due to the sole thickness !! .. :? :? :?

We have tried to lower the air ride to the lowest settings but with a 29inch leg you are still peeing in the wind a bit - My last option would be to have two new wheels made cut from scratch and made smaller - However this is really a very last resort !!! and a expensive one too !! ..

Less expensive one would be to stick my friend on a medieval rack and stretch his legs longer !! - lol .. :D :D :D :D ..

Again !! folks Many thanks for all your help given - You make this site what is a great source of info and common comradery amongst fellow wing owners - info is king when you own a wing !!! ... :D :D :D :D

terryt
Motorcycle: 1979 gl1000 trike
1989 gl1500 trike

Post by terryt » Tue May 22, 2018 3:39 pm

Try removing the seat place a towel over the tank and get him to sit on the bike. that way you will see how much distance there is to build the seat up. get a old one off ebay and have it made to suit. or as said earlier lower the forks and fit smaller shocks on the rear. I have a pair of gl1100 rear air shocks and a 1500 air shock will measure them. I know the coil one is 320 eye to eye.

hugger-4641
Motorcycle: 1994 GL1500 Aspencade, 1982 CM 200 Twinstar, 1984 VT500 Ascot

Post by hugger-4641 » Wed May 23, 2018 1:53 pm

I read in another post where someone is using the GoodYear 175/60-16 car tire and it lowers the rear another inch. There are a couple other car tires that are a little lower than the stock MC tire. I can tell you that the car tire does make the bike a little easier to balance when stopped on level. I am running the Austone taxi tire, which is a little taller, so he definitely doesn't want that one.

Sadanorakman
Motorcycle: 1991 GL1500 SE

Post by Sadanorakman » Wed May 23, 2018 4:17 pm

Going to the dark side and fitting a car tyre of a suitable profile to the rear wheel could take an extra inch out of the ride-height. This would come with the side effects of slightly altering the overall gearing, making the bike more difficult to lift onto the center stand, and it sitting more vertically on the side stand unless adjusted.
There are two types of people in this world, those that can extrapolate from incomplete data,

Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Interstate

1978 CB750 Supersport

Post by 754 » Wed May 23, 2018 6:24 pm

I'm pretty short myself. My inseam is about 30 inches and my '92 interstate has a stock seat and I rode it for a while that way. It made me a little uneasy but, I was ok with it. A few months ago 1 took the seat off and peeled the seat cover off (very easy to do) and took a grinder and flap wheel to it and shaved the hump down a good bit to narrow it and then took some overall height out of the general seat (where you normally sit) and I can now flat foot my wing without a problem. The stock seat has some forgiveness in it.
1992 Goldwing Gl1500 Interstate

1978 CB750 Supersport

hondapotamus
Motorcycle: 2001 GL1800A Goldwing

Post by hondapotamus » Wed May 23, 2018 7:52 pm

A possible solution to the thick soled boots and not being able to shift could be to use a heal-toe shifter. no need to spend a pile of money on one either! The one on my bike (going on 14 years) is made from $5 worth of parts! A bar of aluminum cut to size and notched for the shifter and a short aluminum dowel press-fitted in a hole drilled through the other end of the bar. Works like a charm - and protects the boot from the shifter!

I'm 5ft 7in with a 29.5 in inseam but can get flat footed (just by sliding up the seat to the nose). Fortunate that, but I can relate to the problem

Hope that offers something useful
TC
Lead, Follow or Get out of the way!
IBA 37676

fibersport
Motorcycle: 1990 Goldwing 1500
2002 Honda Shadow VLX Deluxe

Post by fibersport » Wed May 23, 2018 9:01 pm

I've got a 30" inseam. When I got my Goldwing, it had a Corbin seat on it that I felt was just too big for me. Initially I was sliding all over it. I then picked up a stock seat with the intention of trimming it down and recovering it in a nice gray cover. I put it on and instantly didn't like it. It was really hot and soft, also on my 45 minute ride to work it got pretty uncomfortable. I did some reading on numerous seats and watched a bunch of YouTube videos and decided to try the original Corbin again. Corbin designed the seat so that you slide forward when stopped and slide back when riding. After learning this, I found it to be extremely comfortable. The firm design also feels great, no more pain like before. What I originally thought was too big turned out to be just right. I would still like a little narrower seat but honestly the Corbin is the most comfortable seat I've had and this is my 3rd touring/cruiser type bike. The Corbin is also one of the lowest seats available as long as you slide forward when stopped. It took a little getting used to but once I did, it's great. And no, I don't work for Corbin .... One other thing is I recently lowered my air pressure in the rear shock, it seemed to help a little. I also have found that regular work boots also help as opposed to more street type shoes.

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Post by redial » Mon May 28, 2018 8:33 am

I have purchased a "Legs Up" device that puts two wheels down (like training wheels) when the speed is about walking speed. It may be a bit expensive but is a suitable solution to keeping it upright.
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

fibersport

Post by fibersport » Mon May 28, 2018 8:43 am

Isn't there a point when the rider is just too small for a given size bike to ride safely?

wingdings

Post by wingdings » Mon May 28, 2018 4:19 pm

My point - Exactly my point !! - There comes a time when you just plain run out of options and common sense on safety must kick in, my friend has to date spent some £700 pounds on this problem here is the break down so far -

1) Boots x2 pairs £300 pounds !!

2) Seats x 2 = £450 pounds !! - one cut down at the trimmers £250 pounds - One corbin seat brought from myself cost £200 !!

Got to feel sorry for him too !! - he be ok in the USA - you can get on a road and go coast to coast !! with out stopping if you want to however on GB roads you have to stop nearly all the time !! - I did think of telling him to swop it for the stripped down version the honda Valkyrie 1500 -see vid below of Richard Hammond AKA- ( The hamster - top gear ) riding it you all know how small that guy is yes ??

he did think about a triumph rocket three too - but he is so sold on the wing !! - its going to be hard to change his mind !!! :? :? :? :? :?

last thing you want is the bike over on your leg - This has happened to my friend already lucky it was in town and people came to his rescue !! - even picking up a heavy bike like a wing can be problematic at best as most heavy bikes can be !! see vid below -

Last edited by wingdings on Mon May 28, 2018 4:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

terryt
Motorcycle: 1979 gl1000 trike
1989 gl1500 trike

Post by terryt » Mon May 28, 2018 4:29 pm

It can be sorted. lower the rear with smaller shocks or run on two air shocks. slide the tube up into the yokes . you can get it down by about 2".
I see your in London uk where about

Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500 Interstate

1978 CB750 Supersport

Post by 754 » Wed May 30, 2018 9:45 am

Something other Goldwing riders have always told me is that you have to "learn to Goldwing". I have had to relearn how to ride when I got the wing, the ride and handling is nothing like my CB750 or the the little CL350 I had years ago. Tell him it takes time to get used to these big beasts. Like I said before I have about a 30 inch inseam and with my few seat modifications I fell much more secure on it, plus I ride it as much as I can which has helped me really get used to it. It is one of my favorite bikes to ride.

Travis
1992 Goldwing Gl1500 Interstate

1978 CB750 Supersport

fibersport

Post by fibersport » Wed May 30, 2018 6:57 pm

I totally agree that riding a Goldwing is different but honestly I think because it's just a big bike. The first time I sat on one, it felt really balanced with a low center of gravity, then the first time I actually rode one it didn't feel the same, it was a bit intimidating. So far I probably have about 1500 miles since I got it last fall and I still feel intimidated, especially if I'm feeling tired. You have to be on top of your game if you're slight of build like me, you gotta respect the bike at all times!

Mh434
Motorcycle: 1997 gl1500 SE
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Post by Mh434 » Thu May 31, 2018 3:55 pm

Just a caution regarding sliding the fork tubes up in the triple clamps - the front end of a GL1500 is fairly soft, and when the front springs are compressed there is precious little space left between hard parts & the front fender (on my bike, there's about 1/4" of clearance left once the front springs are fully compressed). Sliding the tubes up 1" would put me in a precarious position! An option would be, of course, to use stiffer springs in the front springs to reduce the chances of interference.

aperry
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500 SE

Post by aperry » Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:54 pm

I also have a 29" inseam and rode a 99 1500 for the last eight years. I could set on the balls of my feet with both down, but most of the time when stopping I have my right foot on the brake and left foot down. I don't think the Goldwing is too tall for me, but I have found many bikes that were. I tried the CTX1300 and found that I could touch, but it lacks reverse, so it was impossible for me to back up any kind of grade. Maybe with time he will become more comfortable with stopping and maneuvering like I did. Practice in a parking lot is always beneficial. Good luck to him.

hondapotamus

Post by hondapotamus » Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:34 pm

I've been asked to post a picture of my home made $4 heal toe shifter. So here goes

IBA 37676

BadMonk
Motorcycle: 1987 Honda GL1200 Interstate, 2007 Victory Vegas, 1980 Suzuki GS850GLX

Post by BadMonk » Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:04 pm

I like it! That's on a 1800, right?
I'd like to rig something up similar for my 1200. Neuropathy in both legs/feet makes toe shifting painful.
The aftermarket boards and shifter...ugh, first time ever that I didn't like a heel-toe on my bike.

hondapotamus

Post by hondapotamus » Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:08 pm

Yes it's a 2001 1800. I'll got 325,000 kms on it. Shifter has never let me down

IBA 37676