Won't start in gear

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
johnw3
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 A Aspencade

Won't start in gear

Post by johnw3 » Tue May 22, 2018 3:31 pm

Have 1993 1500 Aspy. Runs great and never fails to start in neutral. Stalled the bike leaving a gravel drive and wanted to pull in clutch and start it back. Won't work. Had to return to neutral. Switch looks good. Two on clutch lever. Both check out with Ohm test. Any ideas?
Johnw3

Erdeniz Umman
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE

Re: Won't start in gear

Post by Erdeniz Umman » Tue May 22, 2018 3:48 pm

Was the side stand down when you tried to start the bike in gear?

Bluewaterhooker0
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing GL 1500 SE

Post by Bluewaterhooker0 » Tue May 22, 2018 5:16 pm

I recently renewed my brake & clutch levers to OEM Honda black levers. Where I previously had no problem starting in gear with the old aftermarket chrome levers, I now have an issue. I suspect it is either a manufacturing error of very slight proportions of the lever, or my aftermarket foam hand grips are causing the problem. Haven't fixed it yet, but mention it as a possibility. Clutch lever design, and travel can cause that problem, if not the switch.

fibersport
Motorcycle: 1990 Goldwing 1500
2002 Honda Shadow VLX Deluxe

Post by fibersport » Tue May 22, 2018 10:27 pm

Had the same problem. I had aftermarket levers by the previous owner and larger grips. Replaced the grips with stock ones, didn't solve the problem. Replaced the levers with stock, didn't solve the problem. Both switches were good. Inserted a thin piece of plastic, maybe about 0.060" thick, which solved the problem, removed the lever and glued it in place, so far so good. I believe the tip of the switch had worn over the years increasing the travel required to operate it, most likely a new switch would solve the problem but I'm being cheap about it. You can verify that both the cruise and neutral switch are physically working by carefully listening to two distinct clicks, the first one will be the cruise disconnect, the second will be the neutral switch. If you only hear one click, then most likely it's the switch tip that's worn. Also note that this switch is the easiest of the two to get to without removing the lever. If you insert a small think screwdriver to actuate it, you should be able to start the bike while in gear on the center stand with the side stand in the up position.

Bluewaterhooker0
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing GL 1500 SE

Post by Bluewaterhooker0 » Tue May 22, 2018 11:41 pm

fibersport wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 10:27 pm
Had the same problem. I had aftermarket levers by the previous owner and larger grips. Replaced the grips with stock ones, didn't solve the problem. Replaced the levers with stock, didn't solve the problem. Both switches were good. Inserted a thin piece of plastic, maybe about 0.060" thick, which solved the problem, removed the lever and glued it in place, so far so good. I believe the tip of the switch had worn over the years increasing the travel required to operate it, most likely a new switch would solve the problem but I'm being cheap about it. You can verify that both the cruise and neutral switch are physically working by carefully listening to two distinct clicks, the first one will be the cruise disconnect, the second will be the neutral switch. If you only hear one click, then most likely it's the switch tip that's worn. Also note that this switch is the easiest of the two to get to without removing the lever. If you insert a small think screwdriver to actuate it, you should be able to start the bike while in gear on the center stand with the side stand in the up position.
Just a follow up on this story. Regarding my right hand lever, the old chrome ones. When I first installed the chrome levers, I immediately encountered a problem with the cruise control SET, not actuating. I discovered that it was a fairly common issue with aftermarket levers, and proceeded to insert a thin shim on the lever handle that would adequately trigger the cruise safety switch, just as "fibersport" did on his. This worked great for about 3 years. Then one day I was encountering brake lights that would not disengage. I discovered it was that same shim that had worn enough to cause the new problem.
The reason I mention this is, I too listened to the 2 switches noise on the right lever. I could hear 2 separate switches click, and assumed it could not be a lever/switch issue. I was wrong. The switch would indeed click, but did not travel far enough to actually trip the brake lights off. The solution was to renew my shim. Problem solved. Just saying. 2 clicks is not necessarily a guarantee that the switches are actuated.