Best Oil

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
hap2
Motorcycle: 1992 GoldWing 1500SE

Best Oil

Post by hap2 » Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:41 pm

Just need to know engine oil for a 1500. Running Castrol 10W40 right now

Also, for brake fluid change after 2 yrs, Dot 4?

Also best rear end oil?

NOVAwing
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade

Re: Best Oil

Post by NOVAwing » Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:02 pm

hap2 wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:41 pm
Just need to know engine oil for a 1500. Running Castrol 10W40 right now

Also, for brake fluid change after 2 yrs, Dot 4?

Also best rear end oil?
I started with 15w40 supertech from walmart, $12 a gallon. Doesnt have the whatever that our wet clutches dont like. Bare in mind im doing a restore job so running a couple times with seafoam and replacing.

My understanding is never use regular car oil.
Search the forum for the exact reason and thing to look for on the oil bottle.

Brake fluid, Dot4 all around.

Final drive fluid, I dont know as I have not changed mine yet, its on the list, searching this site should yield the answer in another thread.

NOVAwing

hap2

Post by hap2 » Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:14 pm

Thanks for the quick reply. I agree with u. I haven't changed from Castrol Motorcycle Oil 10W40, so see no reason for changing now altho I'd like to try synthetic, but what kind? semi or full? It sure is expensive compared to 6.50 quart at Canadian Tire for Castrol.

Yes, this site is filled with very helpful ppl with good advice

cbx4evr
Motorcycle: 2006 Kawasaki Concours
2000 GL1500SE - sold :-(
2004 Kawasaki KLR 650
Solex 5000 - gave to son
1980 Honda CBX - sold :-(
1981 Honda CBX - sold :-(

Post by cbx4evr » Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:23 pm

I can buy full synthetic for around $6/litre when it goes on sale. I use Shell Rotella T6. I have never seen Castrol motorcycle oil go on sale and find it expensive but it is a decent oil.

For rear diff I use a 75W-90 synthetic gear oil from Crappy Tire.
"It´s a friggen motorcycle, it´s not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The wind noise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you s**t your pants every now and then. "

hap2

Post by hap2 » Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:28 pm

What kind of fully synthetic do u get & where?

Why do some ppl say go semi-syn, never fully syn?

I sure dunno, but wish I did

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800

Post by AZgl1800 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:44 am

The truth of the matter is, as long as the oil does NOT contain Friction Modifiers, it does not matter what brand it is, nor what type vehicle it might have been advertized to be used for.

Owned two 1500s and used Delo 400 in 15w40 most of the time, great oil, decent price.

As long as you use a viscosity appropriate for the temperature zone, and stay away from the newer oils with a lot of "mileage savings adverts" e.g. Friction Modifiers, you will be just fine, and so will your bike's engine.

I am currently using Shell Rotella T6 in 5w40 for my GL1800
Last year I used Rotella T5 in 10w30

both are great oils and won't damage the clutch.
~John

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD
1987 Harley Softail Custom
1974 Harley FLH (sold)
1965 Harley FLHE (sold)
1957 Harley Chopper (sold)

Post by themainviking » Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:31 am

I have been using full synthetic oils since 1976. I do not know why anyone would say to use semi rather than full synthetic, unless it would be to get "some" of the wear benefits of synthetic, but just not "ALL" of the benefits. Also, if one is going to change with the manufacturers recommended change intervals, or even less mileage, a semi synth would be less expensive. As AZ1800 mentioned, any oil of the correct viscosity for the area (temperature wise) that you live in, that has no friction modifiers (indicated by JASO MA/MA2 on the label. An indicator that you are using too heavy an oil would be that on a colder morning, your starter did not kick in first try. If all you got is a whine noise, then your oil is too heavy. An indication of too light an oil would be if you can hear your engine noises like ticking and clattering, or your transmission does not shift well. Neither of these situations will likely cause damage to your motorcycle. It is just an indication that a different oil would serve you better.

For the differential, as mentioned above, a 80W90 Hypoid Gear Oil is what the manufacturer recommends, and a 75W90 certainly is okay. Some in warmer climates even opt for a 75W140. I use 75W90 Severe Application Hypoid gear oil in a full synthetic.

Brakes - yes - Dot 4. DO NOT EVER mix a Dot 3 or a Dot 5 with it. You will not be happy with the results.

And Brand wise. Amsoil, Mobil 1, Royal Purple are three of the synthetics I know the properties of, and fully recommend. Due to the controversy that Castrol created concerning how much synthetic it takes to call a product synthetic, I only recommend the three I mentioned. Yes, they are expensive, and yes, I eat the cost and use them in everything I put oil in except my french fry cooker. I have older vehicles that I bought new that still run like they did the day I bought them, and I attribute at least a part of this to the use of 100% synthetic oils use. (also tranny fluid, gear lube and grease)

A google search in your area will determine where you can obtain these products. Royal Purple, probably motorcycle specialty shops only. Mobil 1, probably Canadian Tire and the like as well as Esso locations. Amsoil has some retain locations, but not many, and is mainly sold by specific Amsoil dealers, and as well, some Canadian Tire stores may have limited product line.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800

Post by AZgl1800 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:24 am

Amsoil has the Best Hype Machine going, I relate it directly to Harley Davidson's hype machine.

Both target an audience. As for oil, their oil is no better than any other equivalent full synthetic.
By Federal Law, all oils must be compatible with each other. That don't mean all have the same amount/degree of sliperyness ( coined that word )

But, for our Goldwings, any straight dino oil will do just fine... the Synthetics have advantages that I enjoy and purchase for my car, truck, and my bike. I price shop also.

I used to be an Amsoil dealer, dropped it after I saw what they were doing, and their "rules on what I stocked", told them to forget it, I do what I want, when I want, not what you say I have to stock. I was doing it as a hobby, not a full time business.... I was already committed to 60 hrs/week by my employer.
~John

hap2

Post by hap2 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:33 am

I appreciate all the replies. It certainly answers questions I have.

Lotta wisdom here!