Resurrecting Grandpa's Wing

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
bigsteveswing
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500I

Resurrecting Grandpa's Wing

Post by bigsteveswing » Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:25 pm

I am new to this forum but have been reading for a while now. I, in a round about way, inherited my Grandpa's '92 Interstate. Saturday I finally got to go pick it up. It has been stored for years in a heated garage, but was very dirty. I can remember when he bought the bike new and it was treated like his baby from that time on until his passing in 2013. I am new to motorcycles but have wanted to get this back on the road for some time now. All I have done to it so far was wash it. I am building my list of to do items now. May take a year for me to have the time and $ to get it where I want it but I am looking forward to it.
Attachments

Just the way it sits, ready for transport

Loaded for the trip
Loaded for the trip

A much needed bath!
A much needed bath!

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Re: Resurrecting Grandpa's Wing

Post by virgilmobile » Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:51 pm

Good looking bike.
Whatever you do...Please don't try to start it.After setting that long,there's a procedure to restore it and cranking it right up isn't the first thing.Very bad things can happen.
Grandpa was right...baby it.

bigsteveswing

Post by bigsteveswing » Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:02 pm

Thank you! Ya i have a whole list of stuff to do before ever attempting to start it. Timing belts, oil, coolant, filter, fuel tank...the list goes on and on.

TwoTone Trike
Motorcycle: 1999 Honda GoldWing 1500se/2012 Hannigan Trike, 1953 Panhead, 1973 Electra Glide sold

Post by TwoTone Trike » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:48 am

Man what a beautiful rig. I love that side car. It looks good on there. Glad you have it, but sorry that you had to lose your grandpa to get it.

NOVAwing
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade

Post by NOVAwing » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:56 am

bigsteveswing wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:25 pm
I am new to this forum but have been reading for a while now. I, in a round about way, inherited my Grandpa's '92 Interstate. Saturday I finally got to go pick it up. It has been stored for years in a heated garage, but was very dirty. I can remember when he bought the bike new and it was treated like his baby from that time on until his passing in 2013. I am new to motorcycles but have wanted to get this back on the road for some time now. All I have done to it so far was wash it. I am building my list of to do items now. May take a year for me to have the time and $ to get it where I want it but I am looking forward to it.
Congrats on the bike. Looks very well cared for.

Sorry about Grandpa, that always sucks, I miss mine often.

You have a loooong list of things to go over and clean/replace/tune.
But at least the bike is clean, and not rusty or scraped up like mine is lol.

See my other thread for the kind of things you will need to do to get it going,

Unlike me, start with replacing timing belt, if your competent doing this on a car, doing the bike is the same basically.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=42314

Also, if your new to motorcycles, this is NOT the bike you should start riding with.
This bike is heavy, not sporty handling, and does not forgive poor decision making at all. This is an expert level touring bike, top of the food chain and price mark.

You should start training on a smaller, weaker, more nimble bike as soon as possible and work your way up.
Take a Motorcycle safety training course if you can.

Once your proficient and comfortable riding something smaller, and have some seat time under your belt, start taking short careful rides on the Wing to get used to its weight, handling, and power.

That's my advice, welcome to the club and keep us informed of your progress as you restore it to riding condition.

NOVAwing
NOVAwing
1993 GL1500 Aspencade, restored from 4 years rotting outside.

“A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.”

bigsteveswing

Post by bigsteveswing » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:39 am

Thank you.
I have been following your journey for a while now. Because of your information, and others here, I know I am in for a lot of work, time, and $ spent.
I am signing up for a riding course as soon as I can get in.
I'm not in a hurry to ride the bike, just finally happy to be able to start working towards that goal. I have some buddies with smaller bikes that will let me get some seat time once I am done with the training course.
Thanks again and "stay tuned" for updates on progress.

Stew
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
2005 Honda CRF230F

Previous bikes:
2003 Honda Ruckus
1993 Honda Elite SR
1986 Honda CR125R
1979 Yamaha GT80

Post by Stew » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:06 am

I'll be watching too, I enjoy following progress on 'build threads'. I was handed down my fathers 1500 back in October and for as well cared for as it was I've ended up having to do a lot more maintenance than I was expecting as well as fixing a couple of things. But now that all that is pretty much caught up she's running good and it's mostly just hop on and ride now. Another thing I've realized is that although I've been working on cars for about as long as I've been driving and can fix most anything, this forum is full of some real experts on these Goldwings and can help you figure out just about anything, everyone's been super helpful to me.
Winging it every chance I get 8-)

19,119 miles when I got it from dad Oct 15, 2017 --- 24,532 miles and counting as of Oct 17, 2018!

NOVAwing
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade

Post by NOVAwing » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:19 am

Glad both of you have been following along.

Nice to pay it forward.

Big Steve, sounds good on your training plans, good luck and be safe.

Your bike may not need as much as I have gone through as mine was not as well cared for and lived outside.

Your looking at timing belt, plus all fluids changed, air filters, drain and fill fuel tank, and maybe tires depending.

The Seafoam fixed my carbs fairly well without resorting to Berryman's B12, I am impressed.

Hopefully you don't have a rear master cylinder to rebuild like I am about to do :evil:

Looking forward to hearing how it goes for you.

NOVAwing
NOVAwing
1993 GL1500 Aspencade, restored from 4 years rotting outside.

“A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.”

bigsteveswing

Post by bigsteveswing » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:38 am

I pulled the fuel pump last night and will be draining/siphoning out the remaining fuel soon. Actually looks pretty good in there considering age, looks like stabil was added, but I didn't want to chance pumping trash thru the pump and into the carbs. I think I am going disassemble things to get to the air filter,sub filter, and fuel filter next.

RockportDave
Motorcycle: 1999 GL1500 SE

Post by RockportDave » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:17 pm

Welcome and congrats on your new adventure. I’m sure your grandpa would be glad you’ve taken an interest in resurrecting the Wing.
Get a service manual also. It along with everyone here will guide you through. I like to know what not to do as much as how to do things and Virgilmobile’s advice not to start it until it’s ready is spot on. I’ve saved a lot of time and money by following the advice of folks here.
Dave
1999 GL1500SE 5th Goldwing through the years

bigsteveswing

Post by bigsteveswing » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:27 am

I know it's been quite some time since I've posted but I have some updates/questions for the masses.

Updates:
1. All filters done, (previously installed k&n air filter cleaned and re-oiled), fuel filter and sub filter replaced.
2. Hour of work removing mouse nest debris from the top of the engine, really hoping the little monsters didn't wreck anything...
3. Timing belts replaced.
4. Waiting on new fuel pump gasket before adding some new ethanol free fuel, seafoam, and stabil.
5. Passed my riding course and got my license. Thinking next year I might sign up for the PA 3 wheel training course and use my bike for that, just for the experience, plus it's free.

Still have several things to do before riding but hopefully before winter I can get it at least started and make sure everything works. Then I will know I'm not wasting bunches of money going further.

Things yet to do before starting the engine:
1. Bleed clutch and brakes
2. Replace battery
3. Refill coolant
4. Oil and filter change

I found out through some family members that the rear master cylinder was rebuilt the summer of 2012, have yet to test it out but with the bike on the jack now it will be easy to test then bleed.
Also found out that the oil was changed at the same time and virtually no miles since then.

Questions:
1. Since I have to start the bike to get all of the coolant replaced that I drained, would I be OK to start it and get it up to temp with the oil that is in it and some seafoam, then change it, or should I just change it before running the engine at all?
2. With the bike on the jack the front wheel has some drag when spun, is this normal or do I have a brake possibly dragging or something more serious? I know the front brake handle works good from moving the bike off the trailer.

Probably more just can't think of any right now. Apologies for being long winded.

Rednaxs60
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD
1995 GL1500 SE CDN Edition
2008 GL1800 (sold)
Ontario 1985 GL1200 LTD (sold)

Post by Rednaxs60 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:11 am

Welcome and congrats on bringing your grandfather's bike back to life and on the road.

Don't worry about running the engine to get all the coolant out, just refill it now, run it for a year then change again. All will be well.

There is a cruise air filter on the left side of the bike as well that you may want to change, not a show stopper but you did change the other two.

Recommend refreshing the air compressor desiccant. Good DIY thread by Wingadmin on this forum.

When you bleed the brakes, the rear brake is linked with the left front. Bleed the front brake first then the rear.

Fork oil change should also go on your list. When you do this, renew the parts and pieces, everything wears over time.

I would replace the brake pads and check the "boot pin" - #17 on the parts fiche. I call this a pivot pin as it allows the caliper to float and self adjust. This pin will bind after years of use and not being used. There is one on the rear caliper as well. May want to pull the calipers off and check this, cleaning this one piece will make a difference. You don't have to rebuild the caliper if the pistons move freely.

Since the bike has been sitting for a while the brake and clutch fluid will emulsify because the fluid absorbs water. You may want to consider rebuilding the calipers because of this. Parts are reasonable, and you will know that the brakes are in good shape.

The clutch slave cylinder on the back of the engine may need a look at. Any crud in the clutch system tends to accumulate in the clutch slave:

This was the one off an '85 Limited Edition that I put back on the road. Not saying the one on your bike would be the same, but it is something to consider. No amount of flushing of the clutch system will remove this crud, parts are maybe $25.00 to rebuild and clean this slave cylinder.

I installed a shifter brace from Cyclemax. This is a highly recommended mod because of the shift lever extension. If you consider this, may want to change the shifter engine oil seal as well.

Again, congratulations and good luck.

Cheers
"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest

bigsteveswing

Post by bigsteveswing » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:47 am

Rednaxs60 wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:11 am
Welcome and congrats on bringing your grandfather's bike back to life and on the road.

Don't worry about running the engine to get all the coolant out, just refill it now, run it for a year then change again. All will be well.

There is a cruise air filter on the left side of the bike as well that you may want to change, not a show stopper but you did change the other two.

Recommend refreshing the air compressor desiccant. Good DIY thread by Wingadmin on this forum.

When you bleed the brakes, the rear brake is linked with the left front. Bleed the front brake first then the rear.

Fork oil change should also go on your list. When you do this, renew the parts and pieces, everything wears over time.

I would replace the brake pads and check the "boot pin" - #17 on the parts fiche. I call this a pivot pin as it allows the caliper to float and self adjust. This pin will bind after years of use and not being used. There is one on the rear caliper as well. May want to pull the calipers off and check this, cleaning this one piece will make a difference. You don't have to rebuild the caliper if the pistons move freely.

Since the bike has been sitting for a while the brake and clutch fluid will emulsify because the fluid absorbs water. You may want to consider rebuilding the calipers because of this. Parts are reasonable, and you will know that the brakes are in good shape.

The clutch slave cylinder on the back of the engine may need a look at. Any crud in the clutch system tends to accumulate in the clutch slave:Clutch Slave 4.jpgThis was the one off an '85 Limited Edition that I put back on the road. Not saying the one on your bike would be the same, but it is something to consider. No amount of flushing of the clutch system will remove this crud, parts are maybe $25.00 to rebuild and clean this slave cylinder.

I installed a shifter brace from Cyclemax. This is a highly recommended mod because of the shift lever extension. If you consider this, may want to change the shifter engine oil seal as well.

Again, congratulations and good luck.

Cheers
Thank you sir.

No cruise or air compressor on the Interstate, so that's a couple less things to worry about, no reverse tho :(
I hope to get the engine running and then verify the clutch works once bled, then hopefully over winter i can put the time in to slave cylinder maintenance, fork oil change (I will take the caps off and add schraeder valves at that time) and the like knowing I have a running driving platform to start with. Definitely looking at doing the shifter brace at some point too. Again just want to make sure everything runs and works before dropping a bunch more $$ only to find some major issue.
Long term outlook would be fork springs and rear suspension too. Bigger $ items.

Rednaxs60
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD
1995 GL1500 SE CDN Edition
2008 GL1800 (sold)
Ontario 1985 GL1200 LTD (sold)

Post by Rednaxs60 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:27 am

bigsteveswing wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:47 am

Thank you sir.

No cruise or air compressor on the Interstate, so that's a couple less things to worry about, no reverse tho :(
I hope to get the engine running and then verify the clutch works once bled, then hopefully over winter i can put the time in to slave cylinder maintenance, fork oil change (I will take the caps off and add schraeder valves at that time) and the like knowing I have a running driving platform to start with. Definitely looking at doing the shifter brace at some point too. Again just want to make sure everything runs and works before dropping a bunch more $$ only to find some major issue.
Long term outlook would be fork springs and rear suspension too. Bigger $ items.
Did the suspension upgrade as well. Bike came with a Superbrace installed, but hear and read that the Black Wing Fork Brace is supposed to be better. Maybe something in the future for my bike. Put Progressive springs in the front and Progressive 416 series air on the back. The ride is firmer, but that is to be expected from new suspension. Use approximately 20 PSI for solo riding and 50 PSI for two up at this time. Wingadmin provided 20 PSI solo and 30-35 PSI two up. Still adjusting to suit.

The install of the rear Progressive shocks went very well. Instructions are quite good.

Bought my '95 1500 in July with 154,000 Kms on it and the engine is operating quite well. Not too concerned with the Kms on the engine, it's generally the non-engine parts and pieces that give a person grief. Had a maintenance list already put together that included suspension upgrade. Refurb of front forks, suspension upgrade, new brake pads, LED headlights, filters, HO alternator (not installed yet), and fluids , etc has added some $1400.00 CDN to the price of the bike. Need new tires next year, and bearings all round. Not much else to do after this. As long as the engine keeps ticking, should be a good ride for quite some time.

Forgot to mention that removing the rear drive and lubing the splines with a good moly paste/grease should be considered. Good time to do the brake calipers all round as well.

Cheers
"When you write the story of your life, don't let anyone else hold the pen"

Ernest

bigsteveswing

Post by bigsteveswing » Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:43 pm

Hi all, I have a question for the masses.

I am picking up my battery and spark plugs tonight. Hopefully seeing if the bike will fire up this weekend. :)

Now my question, the bike has aftermarket grips on it and the throttle side grip is loose, as in pulls right off with no effort. What is the best method to reattach this grip?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Happytrails
Motorcycle: 1991 Goldwing 1500 SE
2018 Ural GearUp

Post by Happytrails » Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:16 pm

Grips were fallin off my bike when i bought it as well. I went with iso grips. They came with some kind of adhesive.

I'm wondering if your going to ride it with the sidecar. Only ask because I've been riding a sidecar rig the past couple months. :)
1991 GL1500 SE Anniversary Edition
Sun Flare Gold Metallic
Vallant Brown Inset

bigsteveswing

Post by bigsteveswing » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:30 am

Happytrails wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:16 pm
Grips were fallin off my bike when i bought it as well. I went with iso grips. They came with some kind of adhesive.

I'm wondering if your going to ride it with the sidecar. Only ask because I've been riding a sidecar rig the past couple months. :)
I believe these are iso grips also just based on what they look like. I am going to stop by a local shop and see if they have some grip specific glue. Was just wondering if there was something equivalent I might have around already.

I think I am going to put the sidecar back on in the spring.

bigsteveswing

Post by bigsteveswing » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:38 am

Update:

Started the bike yesterday for the first time. Don't think it has at all in about 4-5 years.
I put about 2 gallons of fuel and 4 oz. of Seafoam in and it wouldn't start, no fuel, but power to the pump... I had to take the fuel pump back out, disassemble it from the housing and turn the impeller by hand to get it to turn but now it seems to be fine. Hopefully it was just gunked up from sitting dry for 3 months since i drained the tank.

Idled like a dream, I let it warm up till the fans kicked on and got the last of my gallon of coolant in.

Started it up again this morning and it fired right up. I am pretty stoked that it ran! :D

Now to get the plastics put back in place, the grip glued back on, and ride it down the block, make sure clutch and trans work the way they should.

bellboy40
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE Candy Spectra Red
1994 GL1500SE Pearl Bermuda Green

Post by bellboy40 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:06 am

I used some "Gorilla Glue" to hold my grips on. It seems to work very well. Be careful to cover any bike parts that the glue might drip on when you shove them back on the bars.

Happytrails
2018 Ural GearUp

Post by Happytrails » Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:48 am

bigsteveswing wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:30 am

Was surprised at how different riding a sidecar rig could be. Challenging to learn but a lot of fun. You'll probably enjoy it. It's a little tricky to switch back to a regular bike, at least for me it is.
Sun Flare Gold Metallic
Vallant Brown Inset

bigsteveswing

Post by bigsteveswing » Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:53 am

bellboy40 wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:06 am
I used some "Gorilla Glue" to hold my grips on. It seems to work very well. Be careful to cover any bike parts that the glue might drip on when you shove them back on the bars.
I was actually just told that by another rider here at work. Guess that's what I'm gonna try today. Thanks.

bigsteveswing

Post by bigsteveswing » Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:59 am

Happytrails wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:48 am
bigsteveswing wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:30 am

Was surprised at how different riding a sidecar rig could be. Challenging to learn but a lot of fun. You'll probably enjoy it. It's a little tricky to switch back to a regular bike, at least for me it is.
My Granddad said when he put it on it was a bit of a learning curve. Ran a few parking lot sessions to get used to it. He added it when he got unsure of his knees riding two up.

PA actually has a 3 wheeled motorcycle license endorsement, my license supersedes that, but they have a training course same as for 2 wheeled bikes. I guess the state even bought a bunch of Can-Am Spyders for the classes. I am thinking I might signup for that next summer and use my bike for it.

Happytrails
2018 Ural GearUp

Post by Happytrails » Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:13 pm

bigsteveswing wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:59 am
My Granddad said when he put it on it was a bit of a learning curve. Ran a few parking lot sessions to get used to it. He added it when he got unsure of his knees riding two up.

PA actually has a 3 wheeled motorcycle license endorsement, my license supersedes that, but they have a training course same as for 2 wheeled bikes. I guess the state even bought a bunch of Can-Am Spyders for the classes. I am thinking I might signup for that next summer and use my bike for it.
Tried signing up for the PA 3 wheeled course after I got my rig but it was booked up. But now looking again there is a different PA web site that has a 3 wheel riding clinic for any kind of can am, trike or side car. Its this weekend with a few spots open. :)
Sun Flare Gold Metallic
Vallant Brown Inset

Ravyn
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800, 2000 Kawasaki w650, 2010 Yamaha xt250, 1972 Honda ct-90 dual range tranny, 1968 Honda Express 102 original miles, 1982 Honda cx500 custom, 1972 Bultaco Alpina,
1980 Honda cx500 turbo..."for sale" My latest bike is a 1994 GL1500SE, side car rig.

Post by Ravyn » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:57 pm

Happytrails wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:13 pm
bigsteveswing wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:59 am

Tried signing up for the PA 3 wheeled course after I got my rig but it was booked up. But now looking again there is a different PA web site that has a 3 wheel riding clinic for any kind of can am, trike or side car. Its this weekend with a few spots open. :)
Bigsteve.....

I have a 1994 gl1500 with a CSC friendship 3 mounted to it. You said something about riding it ? Do you have the sidecar mounted? Most but not all rigs have a 4.5 or 6 degree triple tree added that reduces your trail so the bike will steer easier with the car. If this has been done to yours then be very careful if you ride it without the sidecar attached. That reduced trail will make it very twitchy and it can go into a serious head shake. It is not recomended to ride a bike with those triple trees installed. Also it should have a 2 inch longer fork tubes to bring the bike back to level if the trees were installed. Some of the fork tubes were replaced as a complete unit and some simply had a 2 inch extension installed. This will also increase the amount of oil you need in your front forks. About 30 cc's more seems to be about right. And there will be a 2 inch insert that sits on top of the fork. Also does your side car have electric tilt or electric lean as some call it. Do you know who installed the car and what brand it is. Rigs are a lot of fun once you get past quirks of a sidecar. The electric tilt will make it so much better.
You can contact Jay at DMC sidecars out here in Washington state and he will talk you through just about anything. dmcsidecars.com
Also the forum, United side car Association, Is a good forum to check out but it seems to be down for maintenance or something. sidecar.com

bigsteveswing

Post by bigsteveswing » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:23 am

Ravyn wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:57 pm

Bigsteve.....

I have a 1994 gl1500 with a CSC friendship 3 mounted to it. You said something about riding it ? Do you have the sidecar mounted? Most but not all rigs have a 4.5 or 6 degree triple tree added that reduces your trail so the bike will steer easier with the car. If this has been done to yours then be very careful if you ride it without the sidecar attached. That reduced trail will make it very twitchy and it can go into a serious head shake. It is not recomended to ride a bike with those triple trees installed. Also it should have a 2 inch longer fork tubes to bring the bike back to level if the trees were installed. Some of the fork tubes were replaced as a complete unit and some simply had a 2 inch extension installed. This will also increase the amount of oil you need in your front forks. About 30 cc's more seems to be about right. And there will be a 2 inch insert that sits on top of the fork. Also does your side car have electric tilt or electric lean as some call it. Do you know who installed the car and what brand it is. Rigs are a lot of fun once you get past quirks of a sidecar. The electric tilt will make it so much better.
You can contact Jay at DMC sidecars out here in Washington state and he will talk you through just about anything. dmcsidecars.com
Also the forum, United side car Association, Is a good forum to check out but it seems to be down for maintenance or something. sidecar.com
Ravyn...

Thank you for the information.

I do not have the sidecar mounted currently. I did go out for a small ride Wednesday, everything worked as expected, I need more practice but that is another topic.
I am not sure what model the sidecar is, I know it is a CSC brand, if I recall it was originally on a gl1200. I can post pics or give details as to it's construction, if someone could identify the model that would be great. My grandpa bought it used and he and my uncle mounted it to the bike. My uncle owned a welding and fabricating business for years and he and I are both post-secondary welding instructors now. I remember when they put it on they had bunches of papers with the measurements needed. I am pretty confident that the bike was not changed other than mounting points. I know the bike was ridden with the sidecar off in the past (sidecar got a flat and they took it off and trailered it home, rode the bike home). The sidecar has a manual lean lever, no electric. I intend to put the sidecar back on in the spring and take the free PA state 3 wheel training course just for the added experience.