What is this?

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
woodsv
Motorcycle: 1978 GL1000 Vetter dressed
1988 GL1500 Canadian Edition

What is this?

Post by woodsv »

Hi everybody. I'm new to the site as a member but I've been a lurker for quite some time. I recently purchased a 1988 GW and am currently taking care of any bugs that are present. I found that the inlet hose to the fuel filter was seeping gas so I installed a better clamp to fix the problem. While I was in that area I noticed a pipe that looks like it should have a hose attached but of course it doesn't. I do know that when I put my finger on it the bike dies after 3 or 4 seconds. I can't feel a vacuum nor do I feel an expulsion of any kind. I've attached a picture and in it you will see the pipe circled in red. The reason why I was in that area to begin with was because I was getting a ztro v smell of fresh gas. It was coming from the loose fuel filter lamp but I'm wondering if this pipe is contributing to it or at the very least I would like to know if it should be attached to something or not. Thank you in advance to anybody who has any input on this. I'm so happy to have found this site and look forward to availing of and contributing to it in the future.
Attachments

kane67
Motorcycle: Honda GL1500-88

Re: What is this?

Post by kane67 »

Hi,

It is a carb vent pipe, it’s not missing anything.

http://www.goldwingworld.com/pages/sb1.pdf

I don’t know if it’s a problem to put new tube from there to down under bike...?

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Re: What is this?

Post by virgilmobile »

Yup.My 88 is the same.I added a 2' hose to it and ran it under the seat to stop condensation from getting into the carb.It is the carb bowl vent.Ca.models may have a charcoal canister added there.