'93 Cruise control issue

Information and questions on GL1500 Goldwings (1988-2000)
  • Sponsored Links
dvcruz
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade
1983 GL1100 Interstate

'93 Cruise control issue

Post by dvcruz » Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:44 pm

(I was surprise by a couple of earlier posts regarding how fairly trouble-free the GW cruise control systems are supposed to be - this forum actually has quite a few help-me articles on the subject. But, maybe not... Any who, here's my issue.)
2nd owner of a 1993A with 106k miles. Just finished a 1400 mile bike trip and mechanically, the bike ran great. However, the cruise control doesn't work, nor has it since I picked it up 2 years ago.
I have tried trouble shooting the problem several times using a excellent guide provided by another user on this forum. I am sorry, I don't know the original author of the guide but I give full credit to that person. Anyone that has used the same guide will recognize it I'm sure.
Each time I use the guide, I get the same results, which I am sharing with you now. Some test areas pass, some areas fail. My problem is I don't know what to when I come across a failed test and I'm asking your help. I am planning a 1500 mile ride soon and I would really like to fix this problem.

Sorry about the size - wasn't sure about how to best submit this. I can provide a Word doc or PDF if that would be easier to read.

Oh, just for grins, for those curious about such things, I averaged between 39-41 mpg at an average speed of 72 mph.
Attachments

Back in the San Jose area for now...

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade.
2003 - GL1800A

Re: '93 Cruise control issue

Post by MikeB » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:30 pm

dvcruz wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:44 pm
.... Anyone that has used the same guide will recognize it I'm sure.
Each time I use the guide, I get the same results, which I am sharing with you now. Some test areas pass, some areas fail. My problem is I don't know what to when I come across a failed test and I'm asking your help. I am planning a 1500 mile ride soon and I would really like to fix this problem.

Sorry about the size - wasn't sure about how to best submit this. I can provide a Word doc or PDF if that would be easier to read.

Oh, just for grins, for those curious about such things, I averaged between 39-41 mpg at an average speed of 72 mph.
Actually, you din't share anything with us about what the issues are or what the test results rendered.
You did furnish what looks like a document that is way too small to read and that is not helping at all.

Maybe you can cut and paste it to the forum in full size, and include your particular test results.
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

AZgl1800
Motorcycle: '02 GL1800

Post by AZgl1800 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:48 pm

upload it as a PDF, that is by far better.

a pictorial of a document is just about useless for us, we can't read it.
~John

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Post by WingAdmin » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:13 pm

From the service manual...

Erdeniz Umman
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE

Post by Erdeniz Umman » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:00 am

Based on the tests you have done, I should add that there are some mistakes in that procedure.

The brake light switches and cruise cancel switches are different switches.

Relay 2 in that procedure is Cruise valve relay.

So, here is one of my corrections on that procedure.

Change the red test probe to Pin 6 (brown/red) (it was given as Pin 17, but Pin 6 is better for this test), and the black test probe to Pin 16 (green/black), you should see a resistance of around 95 ohms, if you do then cruise valve relay coil is fine.
Last edited by Erdeniz Umman on Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

Erdeniz Umman
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500SE

Post by Erdeniz Umman » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:10 am

I suspect you have a problem with one or more of the Throttle, Brake lever and Brake pedal cruise cancel switches.

So, here is my other corrections and explanations on that procedure.

Throttle, Brake lever and Brake pedal cruise cancel switches (NC: Normally Closed Contact, like a refrigerator door switch)

The next bit needs a little explanation so you are aware of whats going on. The throttle, Brake lever and Brake pedal cruise cancel switches (not the brake light switches) are wired in series, this means we can test all of them at once, these switches are the safety circuit which holds in cruise valve relay which applies the live feed to the Cruise Control Valve Unit.

To test this circuit we need to put the red test probe to Pin 17 (black/yellow), and the black test probe to Pin 6 (brown/red). The meter should be showing a low resistance or buzz normally, when the front/rear brake applied or throttle closed the meter should show a high resistance or the buzzer should stop.

If you do not hear the buzzer straight away, one of the switches or cables between them is faulty.

In this case you should check the switches individually.

Brake Lever Cancel Switch can be tested by measuring resistance between two ends at the switch. Note that there is only one switch with four pins operated by the brake lever. The bigger terminals (blk/blu, grn/wht) are for cruise cancel function. You should hear two clicks when you pull the lever in.

The meter should show a low resistance or buzz (continuity) when the lever is released and should not when the lever is pulled in.

Brake Pedal Cancel Switch can be tested by measuring resistance between two pins at the red connector of the switch. The red two pin connector can be reached by removing the right inner cover. Note that there are two switches operated by the brake pedal, and the cruise control cancel switch is behind the heat shield, so it is difficult to see and reach.
Although there are two switches it is difficult to hear the brake light switch click, so you should try to hear the click of the cruise cancel switch when you push the pedal down.

The meter should show a low resistance or buzz when the pedal is released and should not when the pedal is pushed down. If it does not function properly, it may be necessary to adjust the switch bracket. For adjustment details refer to service manual Pg.4-73 (req.14mm and 12mm wrench).

Throttle Cancel Switch can be tested by measuring resistance between two pins at the blue connector of the switch. The blue two pin connector can be reached by removing the left inner cover. The switch is inside the cable box housing push cable on the left side under fairing. You should hear the click of the switch when you turn the throttle back and forth passing idle position.

The meter should show a low resistance or buzz (continuity) when the throttle is released or opened passing the idle position and should not when the throttle is closed back of idle position. For adjustment details refer to service manual Pg.4-72.

tnt9339
Motorcycle: 2018 GL1800 DCT Tour
1990 GL 1500A Aspencade

Previously owned;
1978 CB550/4
1976 GL1000
1983 VT500 Shadow
1983 GL650 Interstate
1985 GL1200 Interstate
1995 GL1500 Aspencade
2001 GL1800

Post by tnt9339 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:09 am

Do you have aftermarket chrome levers?

Sometimes the flats for the switches are not correct and will not allow the cruise to set.

A friend had this issue on his clutch lever. You can add material to the pad or go back to stock levers.

Just something to check.

Tony